new pvst beta (updated 03-Dec-2023)

polac

Re: new pvst beta (updated 05-Feb-2019)

Post by polac »

ags wrote:Any plans for VST3 ?
( VST2 SDK is discontinued )
Hm - mine don't appear but in that case I've done something wrong. Oops.
There is a vst3 shell plugin for some time now. You possibly have to rescan the vsts to show up the vst3's.
Last edited by polac on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
polac

Re: new pvst beta (updated 05-Feb-2019)

Post by polac »

I don't know if I didn't install pvst in the right way, but when I clicked on the about button I always had the new version number in a galaxy far, far away ...
Yeah i didn't update the main pvst dll so no new version number visible, i compiled only the pbuzz.dll. Too lazy :).
polac

Re: new pvst beta (updated 29-Mar-2019)

Post by polac »

New version online.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

ah nice, new version. :)

after installation of b33 many VSTs appear twice, as generator and effect,
probably due to that:?

b33:
-shell vsts support now instruments and effects in one dll

why is this?

thanx!
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

a BIG thanks Frankie!! All the work you've done, it's just amazing!!
IXix

Post by IXix »

Thanks Polac! :dance:
thOke

Post by thOke »

Thanks a lot for still updating your indispensable loader, but after installing b33, all plugins (vst, vst3, buzz, ladspa, dx) appear as unknown in my index and a lot of them do not load anymore when i click on them. What's wrong?
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

I'm seeing the same problems as thOke and HerrFornit - all VSTs duplicated as "Unknown" Instruments and Effects. When I do a full rescan from Global 2, PVST still sees everything as an Unknown dll.

Loading a 32-bit VST will work the first time, no matter which version (effect of instrument) I choose, though they will not necessarily behave correctly when choosing an instrument as an effect or vice-versa. Then, after restarting Buzz, any VST that was added in the previous session appears as a third correctly indexed version, which works, along with two Unknown versions, which no longer work. When trying to add either of the Unknown versions, the error dialog indicates that it is looking for a file in my 64-bit folder, even though the real plugin is in my 32-bit folder. Interestingly, Buzz seems to know the real location of the VST, as shown in the path when selecting it in the Machines tab, but PVST is looking in the wrong place.

64-bit VSTs don't work at all. They show up as effects and instruments, and neither one works.

I reverted to b31, and everything works fine again, though the scanning process took a loooooong time (I have too many VSTs, I guess).

One thing I noticed with the b33 version was that on startup, there was a lot of disk activity for CompatTelRunner (I think that was the name) accessing files in my VST directories but none for scan.exe, and startup didn't take nearly as long to complete.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Hi there,
I scanned my usb-stick today with my latest downloads and get a positive File with Avira-Antivir.

The File is pvst64_v1.1.10b33.zip and the shown Trojan is TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen8.

The 32bit version of Polacs loader doesn't Show this positive ....

All that nathansnider reported could be the result of a trojan Infection.

As far as I tested the 32bit version it worked for me, the only strange thing is the double show-up of vsti also as vst and theotherwayround.

So is the 64bit version of Polacs loader really infected or am I???

Whatever happened, Frank, you are a real heavy weight in Buzz Support and I'm convinced you are able to fix the loader as soon as you've got time...
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

I'm using 32-bit buzz, so the version that I used was the 32-bit installer. The trojan result is probably a false positive, but even if it's real, that wouldn't be the cause of any issues I had with the 32-bit version of b33.

I've seen plugins show up as both instruments and effects before, when I had PVST incorrectly installed. I think at that time, I had neglected to copy the bin64 folder from the zip, figuring "oh, those must be the files for 64-bit Buzz, so I don't need those." But of course, those are the loaders for 64-bit VSTs in 32-bit Buzz, so all my 64-bit plugins would show up twice (and of course not load). I think that's maybe just what happens whenever the PVST scan finds a plugin it can't identify - it will show up as both instrument and effect until you actually load it. Then the next time you start Buzz, it will show up correctly because PVST knows what it is.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

O.k. Nathan I read your Post. Well if you also use 32bit loader it might be a false positive. Perhaps Frank Can fix it somehow.
But somehow the loader is dumb. I've made a complete rescan and it says 194 unknown dlls and this seem to be all the old vst and vsti I have in my vst folder. Even after use of some synths, restarting, rescanning the loader says they are unknown and they appear twice as effect and generator. Not a single machine is recognized, also no decision if 64 or 32 bit. The only way to get it to work is to load a Plugin and in the menu choose scan for new, restart Buzz and so on, then the loader works, but every Shell scan or full rescan shows every vst as effect and generator.
So finally it doesn't seem to be useful anymore to have a vst folder scanned, o.k. I know in most cases what type of machine the vst is but it looks strange ....
Well I hope Frank can explain why this is so ...

Just one further addition: this time the Version number appears in the losder, but to be honest, in this case I prefer a working loader without the correct Version number ...
polac

Post by polac »

Yes I can confirm the unknown plugin bug, meanwhile use the b32 version.
polac

Post by polac »

I recompiled the scan.exe's, now it seems to work again, odd. They seem to be corrupted somehow. Please download again.
polac

Post by polac »

The trojan result is probably a false positive
I also guess so, windows defender is unobtrusive, no virus alert here.
polac

Post by polac »

why is this?
There are shell plugins like the Waves one that contain both instruments and effects in one dll. Previously the instruments form Waves always showed up as effect in pvst, that's not the case with the new version.
polac

Post by polac »

polac wrote:I recompiled the scan.exe's, now it seems to work again, odd. They seem to be corrupted somehow. Please download again.
I found out that the scan.exe's were not replaced by the new ones, hehe. :roll:
thOke

Post by thOke »

Thank you, it is working now in the 32-bit Version of Buzz!! :dance:
...but the scan.exe in the bin32 folder of the 64-bit version is still detected as a virus here.

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/5b5 ... /detection
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Thank you for the response Thoke. I have both files 32 and 64 bit version recognized as a trojan. I Scanned with a usb-virus-stick of a Well known german Computermagazin. 2 of four Scanners see a problem.
Could this hopefully false positives be the reason why the scan.exe files were not copied in the beginning...

I Trust Frank if he says that bis programming environment is clean, ' 'cause I remember what a crap it was with Avira and btd custom stepseq, before Ixix cleaned the false positive.
So I will give it a go ...
5 minutes later: the 32bit version of Polacs loader seems to work very fine here, before I had around 190 unknown plugs and now only 12 the Rest are sorted very fine in all kinds of vst and some Shell Plugins.

Everything seems to be fine, so thank you very much so far Frank ...
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

polac wrote:

why is this?
There are shell plugins like the Waves one that contain both instruments and effects in one dll. Previously the instruments form Waves always showed up as effect in pvst, that's not the case with the new version.

Thanx for explanation.

After reinstalling the recompiled version, I thought It's the same behaviour (doubling generator/effects). After Full rescan it looks good !! :dance:

@Buzztler/theOke I had no virus or bug problem here with the x86
Win10x64 1809, WinDefender. (no Cloud/sample upload)
Malewarebytes, no Problems.
The heuristic search of Avira was used to produce false positives, that's one of the reasons why I changed to Win Defender, since it's detection rates are improved.
On my Win7x64 laptop, I am still using Avira.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks for the new version Polac ! My guess is scan.exe uses some type of compression packer which antivirus heuristics hate as they're usually a good medium for malicious code to be obfuscated into.