A Stranger To Ourselves - chillout

magmavander

A Stranger To Ourselves - chillout

Post by magmavander »

A poem read and written by Donnie Ozone :
http://ccmixter.org/people/donnieozone/profile
As previous song, mainly free vst here, free soundfont + Matilde, XS-1, SampleGrid. And some great buzz fx :D

donnieozone and mag - A Stranger To Ourselves

sparschaeler

Re: A Stranger To Ourselves - chillout

Post by sparschaeler »

mag, how do you handle vocals in buzz? I find it hard to adjust timing and tuning. thanks for hints :)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Hi Sparsch,

I use fuzzpilz inp or btdsys audiotrack for very long wav. If I cut it in parts, I may use Matilde, but I rarely cut the acapellas. Audiotrack is cool because you can see the waveform in the sequencer and this can be helpful.

But what I really appreciate in both and that helps me a lot is that you can play the song anywhere in the sequencer and hear the vocal at the point where you are, you dont have to listen the sample at the start point, like in Matilde by example.

What's important to me too is to know the bpm. Knowing the notes/chords is important but our ear is a good tool to find the right note. If I need to know notes I have the C-tuner freeware vst.

Hope it helps :D
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

thanks mag! what do you do to shift the tempo?
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

sparschaeler wrote:thanks mag! what do you do to shift the tempo?
I am not sure to understand... Sorry my english is not the best.
The tempo (bpm?) I use is the tempo of the acapella. Most of the acapellas websites indicate the bpm of their vocal samples.
If it's a spoken word, like a poem, the bpm is not that important (if you know it, it's better of course). But if it's singed, I must know the bpm. I am not a 'real' musician so I am unable to find a bpm by ear for an acapella.
And I leave the acapellas samples unchanged. Generaly the singer follows the tempo correctly so I dont have to cut the sample in many parts to make it works with my music. I just use the whole sample in one go.
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

well I was thinking of the case when you want to speed up the sample to match with your preferred tempo...

(j'aimerais savoir si il ya un truc pour buzz qui permet de changer la vitesse du sample sans changer son pitch...)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

sparschaeler wrote:well I was thinking of the case when you want to speed up the sample to match with your preferred tempo...
(j'aimerais savoir si il ya un truc pour buzz qui permet de changer la vitesse du sample sans changer son pitch...)
I can only see Marc Alvarez Pitch Wizard in buzz to be able to get this result. But I didnt tried it for a while and I'm not sure it still works in new buzz. Maybe using it in an older version of buzz (pre-new buzz) and export the wav with the right pitch. I didnt tried it with a whole song's vocal :oops: A pity this fx was stopped.
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

for stretchless pitch Change antonio's Bandwurm is excellent. but I'm really talking about Speed Change here - any clue (apart from grain synths - low Quality results)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

I see a solution but it's a commercial one : Melodyne
You can change pitch, speed, timing, etc. It's very impressive.
There is a demo version (30 days) for the complete tool (melodyne editor) but you have also the "Essential" version for 99€ :

-Applications :
-manual or automatic correction of intonation and timing errors
-refashioning of melodies, timing and rhythm
-transposition including adjustment to scale
-pitch shifting and time stretching
-(re-)quantization

BTW : where can I find antonio's Bandwurm ?
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

Here it is. Haven't used it in a long time so not 100% sure if it works in the latest builds.
Attachments
Antonio BandWurm.rar
(572.56 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

4516N41 wrote:Here it is. Haven't used it in a long time so not 100% sure if it works in the latest builds.
please be aware that this machine is very experimental. it works, but it ads a LOT of latency. i shouldn't really have released it in this state. still working on the follow up...