Gamelan Sekar Petak

tinga

Gamelan Sekar Petak

Post by tinga »

Since a long time i'm looking for free gamelan samples, and i find only crappy things, unusable, good surprise this night, i find this nice pack on soundcloud, i can make my own gamelan with Corona and other tunables machines.
I made some cleaning, (normalisation, tuning, and sf2), post the pack in few day.
thOke

Re: Gamelan Sekar Petak

Post by thOke »

tinga

Post by tinga »

Yes, i know this pack, its the pack we find on many sites, but in this one, only 3 or 4 samples are usable, i use it since many years, but to much noises, and gamelan samples are expansive, 200 euros in native instruments.
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

sounds like sine wave with some degradation?
tinga

Post by tinga »

sparschaeler wrote:sounds like sine wave with some degradation?
Yes, just a sine with some formants on the attack, but also some specific harmonics, i love sine, and i love gamelan.
tinga

Post by tinga »

I've used these samples to make a sound bank for the Corona, also some other samples, steeldrum, made with my H4, waves from fudrum3, but i want to add more for various attacks, and the first are just for testing, i've some corrections to do, i've added my new bird sf2, 128 samples, but this sf2 is not optimized, many samples uselessly long.

All notes are on various C, retuned with audacity, but not with the crappy tuner, only change speed of the sample.
for the Corona bank no sf2, just a single wave, at the end of the bank, some slendro and pelog tuning, for pelog or sekati don't use the seven notes only pentatonics scales. Slendro black keys, pelog white.

The pack
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Good find!

Hmm they're fairly noisy, and lack a bit of punch. Tell-tale signs of suboptimal recording gear.
But at least they're all 96000 hz and .wav format, which is super nice. I better start clicking some download buttons... (I guess soundcloud didn't allow this guy to upload a .rar file with everything in it.)

Next step: Figure out how the f... gamelan music actually works! :D