What's your favourite Buzzmachine secret gem?

onecircles

Re: What's your favourite Buzzmachine secret gem?

Post by onecircles »

Joachip puts us all to shame though.

Joachip are you the joachim that made so many of my favorite buzz machines?
Mozart von Robot

Post by Mozart von Robot »

Here's my simple trick for making drums sound as good as possible. I do this basically every time, with some slight variations and additions:

I start with a BRDSys SampleGrid 2 BETA 061110 - S4 (sometimes S8 if I'm assembling a bigger kit, obviously). I load my samples into the wavetable, and if I come up short of the grid, I leave spaces between the kit and whatever samples I may load in for the next sampler (which, sidenote, is usually Fuzzpilz UnwieldyTracker 2).
The SGrid is then plugged into Polac VST, hosting Reaper's parametric equalizer called ReaEQ (I don't even have Reaper, but they have a free VST suite, and I happen to like the EQ - it's visual and easy to use). If I add a distortion or a bitcrusher (Joachims Saturn is a nice combo), I usually put it before the EQ, because then I can get some of the dynamics back and/or keep the aliasing under control. I usually boost the EQ narrowly around 100 and 200 to add some extra punch to kicks and snares, and sometimes cut some of the high-end off as well as some of the lowest bass (gotta make room for an actual bass) and then mess with frequency ranges it until it sounds good.
Then, the trick. The EQ goes both straight into the Master (to preserve dynamics) and into a Joachims Overdrive, which I usually set to Active, 0, 64, 64, 74. The overdrive then also goes straight into the Master (to add extra body).
Sometimes I throw a reverb in somewhere, depending on what effect I'm trying to achieve. Sometimes I skip the EQ if there's no need for it.

Sometimes, I sidechain. To keep it simple, what I do is this:
Straight out of the SGrid, I connect to another EQ. I isolate the frequencies between approximately 75 and 225. That's where most of the kick and snare punch are (sometimes I throw a notch in around 150 just to really put the focus on 100 and 200). This EQ is then plugged into an Automaton Compressor mkII, which I plug into the Master and set to Mode level and Channel 1 (the other parameters are irrelevant here). If this is done in the correct order, no sound is coming out of the compressor.
Then I load up another Automaton Compressor mkII and set it to Audio, 1, , 14-ish, [the lowest I can get the attack without clicks], [the lowest I can get the release without clicks], [I set the gain by ear as well, but often leave it at 0].
Then I use that second compressor for whatever I want reacting to the sidechain. Which is sometimes nearly everything, and sometimes just the bass, depending on what sound I'm going for.

I should probably just make a template.

Some of the machines mentioned in this thread, I don't even know where to get, let alone what they're for. What's this Majkol Freebase thing?
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Joachip wrote:This post will be surprisingly boring, but really, by far the most funky magic tricks I do - the kind of stuff you just can't do in a normal DAW - is the stuff I do in matilde tracker and polac's vst wrapper.

Stuff like automating/sequencing sample offset, doing weighted probability patterns as well as insane automations of various VST plugins is the stuff that makes Buzz unique to me.

So to me, it's not the weird machines that are "secret gems", but rather certain commands and approaches in mtrk and pvst.
I really need to learn more about mtrk and utrk some day.

Anyway, need to put 2nd process - Dirtifier on the list. My precious!
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

something very, very, very secret. and trackerish.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Somebody please explain weighted probability patterns.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Fuzzpilz HamString is perfect for a peaceful and meditative moment, create your preset, take care too much nodes could crash the machine, make your instrument and play with the nodes, the only thing you can do is to play and record if you want good samples for perc, bass or amazing stereo effects, one thing, its a Fuzzpils machine, so enormous gain, and if too much tension, the strings broke, it can also make your cpu suffocate, I like it.
Modularity is the Buzz secret gem. Peer machines, BTDSys PeerLFO, State, Control, IX Accumulator and Split, and of course the unlikely, incredible Snowglobe ScaleWalker.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

tinga wrote:Modularity is the Buzz secret gem.
Secret? :)
zeffii

Post by zeffii »

The list on the first page seems to be linking to a dead page. So i'll take a pot shot.

Zephod's Blok (2015) is amazing.
- A Modular synth (or effect)
- Low cpu usage
- High configurability
- 8 Assignable knobs
- more than 4 voices
- noteworthy modules: Simple Sampler, Advanced Envelope, Keytrack, Waveshaper, VU Follower.

I'd love if there was some kind of SuperCollider SynthDef loader, or even ChucK class loader.. Anything that would let me code synths in a high level language. Until that happens, Blok is more than enough experimentation fun :)

Chorpse, Oppressor, Fatbob, Tethys, HD Combo delay, Utrk.
tinga

Post by tinga »

oskari wrote:
tinga wrote: Modularity is the Buzz secret gem.

Secret? :)
:lol: of course not, my secret gem, unfortunately not exactly my gem, but a real jewel inside Buzz modularity, many musical software are modular, and modular was in the splash screen, but Buzz modularity is very specific with the large variety of control machine we have, I don't produce music, because I just want Buzz to do that for me, many people said that computers are just tools, it's not my opinion, we don't speak to a hammer to use it, but it seems we had to create some languages to use these strange machines, my project is always the same , to make a musical generator, a single bmx, infinite with a very large variety of sounds and musics, to do that I have to find this fucking secret gem!
Candle

Post by Candle »

IX Patchbay. Can't live without it, it seems…

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote:IX Patchbay. Can't live without it, it seems…
:dance: Just in case you hadn't seen it... IX Patchbay III
Candle

Post by Candle »

IXix wrote:
Candle wrote:IX Patchbay. Can't live without it, it seems…
:dance: Just in case you hadn't seen it... IX Patchbay III
That's the one I'm using. The interface is much better then in the two previous versions - and the fact that you no longer need Polac Out machines for the multi-out routing :dance: 8-)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

roxo wrote:
szaszhareen wrote: fx:
3. btdsys parameq
are you sure ? ;)
took me two years to notice this! XD

corrected to BIGYO parameq :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:
I really need to learn more about mtrk and utrk some day.
right click>about on each of them and let your mind be blown :mrgreen:

my favorites are stretching to x ticks, reversing sample and offset. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the retrigger commands. :/
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

I guess there is a "1 post per person"rule but I have to add Joachip Uranus b8. Love it.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Two machines I use in 99% of my tunes : HD HALYverb and Fuzzpilz Chorpse.