Recording from Peerchord

synthphase

Recording from Peerchord

Post by synthphase »

I swear I used to be able to record "midi" from peerchord into a VST for example. I even remember doing it when I didn't want to (like accidentally pushing F7 instead of F6). It doesn't seem to work now..

Can anyone confirm that it still works / point me in the right direction?
Klangkulisse

Re: Recording from Peerchord

Post by Klangkulisse »

Hi synthphase,
spontaniously I said to myself, yes, must be easily possible.

Bu I couldn't figure it out :(

I tried this setup:

IX Split > data into > Peerchord > data into > VST

hit record and triggered IX Split with the build in keyboard

All midi data is recorded into IX Split, nothing in peerchord or VST.
So may be, midi data is only recorded in the directly triggered machine, what could make sense in a way I do not understand: May be recording midi data to all involved machines would cause a mess – I don't know.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Hey thanks for trying. I wonder if you or anyone else has a version of "old buzz" where you can test this out. I think I have a customized one on an old hard drive somewhere but I doubt it's even hooked up.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

THe longer I think of it, the more i am getting convinced too, that I recorded once midi notes into a vst by using peerchord.
I remember that I had the plan to let peerchord do the work for a while and then pick out the best parts to use them in a more compositional way.

Did I dream? :roll:

May be there are only some special VST, that record incoming midi data?

I will continue meditating on this topic :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

Yeah, you used to be able to record PeerChord and other such machines when peer stuff was all hacked in the old Buzz.

In the (not so) new Buzz it doesn't work. Maybe Oskari could make it work or maybe not. I vaguely remember spending some time trying to force some machine or other to write all received notes to the active pattern if record was enabled because it didn't happen automatically.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Here's how to do it in case anyone want's to (Klangkulisse).

- Simply attach peerchord to a VST that sends midi notes as an intermediary step. I recommend one of the great Pizmidi generators:

http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

- Set that machine to have the correct number of tracks (I know next to nothing about theory, but the first 6 or so chords in peerchord seem to be 3 notes). You may also need to enable recording on those tracks via Polac's Settings menu from the VST GUI. Simply click the track buttons for the tracks you just added on the left side of the GUI. (In my case VST's open with only two tracks which seems to be the minimum)

- Send the pizmidi machine to another VST or a machine that accepts midi (the one you want to use) via the right click menu on the pizmidi machine. You can also wrap a buzz-machine if you want some older machine that doesn't support midi input. PVST handles midi very nicely so this is what I usually do regardless.

- Don't forget to set this final machine to also have the right number of tracks and enable recording on them.
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Thanks for pointing out, synthphase, it works :dance:

For anyone else who is interested, I used the very simple but sufficient PizMidi Fingered for this goal – there are a lot of PizMidi machines.

Thanks again for also indicating those.