Polac VST FX midi in issue?

synthphase

Polac VST FX midi in issue?

Post by synthphase »

Hey all,

I know I've gotten the midi-in to work with the polac FX adapter before, but I can't seem to get it to work now. Can somebody try the following on their system?

Steps to reproduce:

- Open any VST generator and push a key on your midi keyboard. Is midi working? Good.

- Open any VST effect.

- Right click and load a synth manually it can be the same one as before. (browse to your VST folder)

- Is mid working now? It is? Then wtf? I'm an anomaly. HELP!

---------------------

The only workaround for me is to use one of the great pizmidi plugins and send it to the effect. Proving that a synth loaded as an effect still can receive midi, just not directly for some reason.
polac

Re: Polac VST FX midi in issue?

Post by polac »

Do both ways midi send and connecting to midi-in machine not work for you? Cannot test here as no midi-in device installed on my new computer yet. Midi send from pvsti to pvst does work here though.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

If I understand you correctly, the answer is yes. I can send to a midi-in machine. A special midi VST like Jthalmus or the Polac adapter midi out menu works from a vsti to an effect. Going both ways works fine internally it seems. I'll try to download midi-yoke and see if I can create a test environment that would work for you as well. (Or maybe it'll just work now for whatever reason).
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

I created a test that successfully shows the problem. Quick setup too:

Just get this and setup one or more virtual midi devices. http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Oh then this: http://www.midiox.com/moxdown.htm or some other virtual keyboard outside of buzz, this one works well with the above driver. You want to connect midiox event port to loopmidi driver (usually as easy as selecting the device from options --> midi devices --> midi outputs), then click the wee virtual keyboard button and you should see keyboard/midi messages going from one place to another all inside of midiyoke.

Then open this zip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IyOvQF ... sp=sharing

Inside there are a couple of free VST's, and a buzz effect, Whitenoise Harmonic Delay (cuz I couldn't find any free vst effects that take note input). You can probably throw everything into your VST folder and relaunch buzz. Worst case scenario is that you have to path to harmonic delay and reset up all the connections.

Obviously I don't have to tell you how to setup the driver that you wrote to use virtualmidi. :mrgreen:

Basically, the midi monitor comes first and that is to check if there is incoming midi from midiyoke events. Click it to bring to focus, switch over to midiyoke and start keyjamming. You should see note data flowing in.

Then it's the working method: Click to shift focus to the midialias machine. That is hooked up to harmonic delay. With midiyoke you should be able to hear notes hitting the harmonic delay, even without buzz being in focus.

Next try to hit harmonic delay directly using the same method. You should hear no changes. Or, conversely, you have no issues and my name is mutex lockout.

Thanks for doing all this and making buzz rule for hosting VST. I am working on a guitar fx pedal / looper and the workaround does do what I need, but I imagine it's not what you intended.
River Cricket

Post by River Cricket »

synthphase wrote:Hey all,

I know I've gotten the midi-in to work with the polac FX adapter before, but I can't seem to get it to work now. Can somebody try the following on their system?

Steps to reproduce:

- Open any VST generator and push a key on your midi keyboard. Is midi working? Good.

- Open any VST effect.

- Right click and load a synth manually it can be the same one as before. (browse to your VST folder)

- Is mid working now? It is? Then wtf? I'm an anomaly. HELP!

---------------------

The only workaround for me is to use one of the great pizmidi plugins and send it to the effect. Proving that a synth loaded as an effect still can receive midi, just not directly for some reason.
Had the same problem as you, and found a similar solution. I use the Polac MIDI In machine rather than a VST plugin.
River Cricket wrote:You must add a Polac MIDI In machine, right-click, MIDI send to the Polac VST machine, then right-click again and select the MIDI controller you wish to use. If it's already your MIDI input device in Buzz, you'll have to unselect it from the View > Preferences > MIDI Input menu.
I know it's been a couple years, but your post is one of the top Google results for "Polac VST MIDI", so I'm answering for anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future, as well as for you if you're still having issues :)