Switching to Buzz with zero knowledge, HELP!

mridlen

Re: Switching to Buzz with zero knowledge, HELP!

Post by mridlen »

If you want to record MIDI automation (with VSTs especially), you need to make the pattern compatible first. With Pattern XP you can select whatever parameters you want to automate, and only those, so normally I just pull up the patterns columns menu and check the partially filled in box. This gets you access to all of the parameters.
Buzz_VST_automation.PNG
Buzz_VST_automation.PNG (38.44 KiB) Viewed 5378 times
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

SasA wrote:Nvm turns out, I am an idiot :oops: . I was trying to automate without making a blank pattern for effect machines, just realized that automation values need a places to record.
Remember that you can use multiple columns for a machine in the sequencer, and when you're recording automation the values are written to the pattern in the leftmost sequencer column of a machine. So you can basically have a short pattern that does a melody/rhythm in one column, and to the left of it a column with a long pattern that has all the (recorded) automation. And of course additional columns for tweaks as you see fit, but maybe start with getting the basics down first :)
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Polac VST automation :

https://vimeo.com/1675783

8-)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Don't forget the ctrl+g trick on patterns in Pattern XP. It toggles the bar mode, where you control + click to set values. I shouldn't be telling you this because learning hexadecimal is a really great skill, everyone should know how to do it in this age, because it is in almost everything in the form of bytes. 4/4 music is also hexadecimal in nature, base 16 in quarter notes. There is sort of a zen like simplicity to knowing it, it's like counting but with more numbers.

THAT BEING SAID... I still use the graphical one when I need to make a lot of parameter adjustments over time and get them roughly in the right spot.
Attachments
buzz_ctrl_g_trick.PNG
buzz_ctrl_g_trick.PNG (2.63 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
Candle

Post by Candle »

When it comes to Hex, the best tool has got to be MusicCalc from the original Buzz Massive Pack. I use this little program all the time (for more then just calculating Hex values). Here's a link to the forum topic where you can download the Massive Pack:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2201&p=12081&hilit= ... ols#p12081

See You In The Shadows…
SasA

Post by SasA »

Hey! thanks all for your replies, I was trying to create my own work flow and learn along the way instead of relying completely on you guys, but turns out I still have some basics to cover. Firstly I really like using hexadecimals (they make me feel smarter) so no issues with that. But I have encountered a basic problem.
My plan is to make loops and then a long pattern for automations which I will record for a single machine or fx vst or vsti at a time, then for a different machine and then layer them up. The first problem I faced while doing this is, that as I am done recording automations for a single machine, I go back to the start and press record again only to find that parameters of my recorded machine start from where I left them. This is because parameter values are recorded only when they are changed, otherwise the spaces for numerical values remain blank, how can I fix this?
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

SasA wrote:The first problem I faced while doing this is, that as I am done recording automations for a single machine, I go back to the start and press record again only to find that parameters of my recorded machine start from where I left them. This is because parameter values are recorded only when they are changed, otherwise the spaces for numerical values remain blank, how can I fix this?
Set the initial values of your machine's parameters as needed, then write the values into the beginning of your (automation) pattern: go to row 0, press ctrl+b to highlight all global parameters, or twice to include track parameters too, then press ctrl+t to write the current state of the parameters.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

I have posted here, in this thread, a link to a pdf tutorial about Ctrl T and automation. In case you missed it :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9rop ... nN6MHBxQkE
SasA

Post by SasA »

Thanks a lot Paul Eye and magmavander.
yeah I remember this, but I totally forgot the use of ctrl+t and only tried out ctrl+i for interpolating. :oops:
Thanks a lot :mrgreen:
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Hmm, so this ctrl+t thing, that's like a snapshot?!!?!?! Hmm... I feel as though I once knew this once upon a time. I feel like there was some stability issue with it and certain machines.
Last edited by mridlen on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

ctrl+t?

..... :dance: how the hell did i not know about this?!