AMD Rysen worth it

boombaxx

AMD Rysen worth it

Post by boombaxx »

Currently i am running a core i5 4670k. I am thinking on upgrading to the ryzen anyone tried the 8 core with ht. Sixteen cores does sound good. I noticed that buzz can only handle 12. Does buzz include ht cores as real ones or is it only real ones. Never had hyper threading to try
synthphase

Re: AMD Rysen worth it

Post by synthphase »

I generally go with faster core speed then # of cores, but I guess it matters how you use Buzz.

Buzz seems to only use real cores.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Did not know that so an i7 has no benefit in buzz over the i5 other than clock speed.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I'd go by passmark benchmark score more than anything... but yes, Buzz tends to benefit from fewer faster cores over many slower cores. I run AMD 1090T on my workstation right now, it has high clock speed and performs great.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Synthphase is right. Per-core performance is what you want. I don't know how Ryzen performs compared to my semi-old i7 because modern benchmark sites leave out the single most important thing for audio guys like us to know: The IEEE float 32-bit performance that one core can do.

Generally benchmarks should be taken with a grain of salt compared to running an actual audio app on the given CPU.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Think ill buy a new cooler for my i5 and overclock it. I have had it up 4.4 before but the cooler was not up to the job so clocked it back.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I thought Buzz only populated as many cores available as you have installed in your system. Is that true there is a limit to 12 cores in Buzz? If so it will affect my future CPU purchasing decisions.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

look at prefs engine
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Noticed that microsoft have announced. Users will now be able to run Windows 10 Pro for Workstation on machines with up to four CPUs -- today's limit of two -- and add memory up to 6TB and the Refs file system Actually a reason to upgrade from 7
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

What limit? I have 8 logical cores here, and Windows 7 and 10 are both capable of seeing all of them. It's Buzz that has a limit of 12 cores:

And typically the real problem will be that one plugin cannot be distributed across several cores, so the per-core performance is still very important for audio work.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Oh well i will just buy a D-Wave instead :D. Wonder if anyone has tried to make music with a d-wave.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

D-Wavetable?
dnafrequency

Post by dnafrequency »

I'm so late to the thread here... but if you are using UAD plugins then be careful about Ryzen. I think that their cards don't do the correct PCIe addressing scheme for modern mobo's so you won't be able to use your card unless *maybe* it's a UAD Octo card. Satellites should be fine, tho.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Joachip wrote:What limit? I have 8 logical cores here, and Windows 7 and 10 are both capable of seeing all of them. It's Buzz that has a limit of 12 cores:

And typically the real problem will be that one plugin cannot be distributed across several cores, so the per-core performance is still very important for audio work.

Yes, but see:
http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.ph ... uring_Buzz

" ...Select the Processors that Buzz should use
Multithreading: Affinity

SetThreadAffinityMask Sets a processor affinity mask for the specified thread. A thread affinity mask is a bit vector in which each bit represents a logical processor that a thread is allowed to run on.
SetThreadIdealProcessor Sets a preferred processor for a thread. The system schedules threads on their preferred processors whenever possible. On a system with more than 64 processors, this function sets the preferred processor to a logical processor in the processor group to which the calling thread is assigned. ..."

Perhaps, it is rather matter of displaying all cores?

With the new Ryzen3000 you can buy on 7.7.19, e.g. the Ryzen 3900, the IPC and CPU clock has improved a lot, so the single core performance is much better now. Also the Level3 cache is huge now, promising low latencies :)
At least if you can afford it :(

I think, to exploit all power of newer processors the Buzz core has to be reprogrammed for the newer CPU-instructions like AVX2 and AVX512 ?
Does anybody know about the latest supported CPU instructions generation?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

HerrFornit wrote:I think, to exploit all power of newer processors the Buzz core has to be reprogrammed for the newer CPU-instructions like AVX2 and AVX512 ?
it's not so important that buzz uses AVX/AVX2, because plugins can use these instructions, and they do the bulk of the work anyway. Buzz just copies around a few floats essentially and while that would theoretically speed up by using AVX, it only makes up like 0.1% of all "work" in a busy .bmx. It's the buzzmachines and VST that need to use these instructions.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

UNZ wrote:
HerrFornit wrote:I think, to exploit all power of newer processors the Buzz core has to be reprogrammed for the newer CPU-instructions like AVX2 and AVX512 ?
it's not so important that buzz uses AVX/AVX2, because plugins can use these instructions, and they do the bulk of the work anyway. Buzz just copies around a few floats essentially and while that would theoretically speed up by using AVX, it only makes up like 0.1% of all "work" in a busy .bmx. It's the buzzmachines and VST that need to use these instructions.

Ah, that's great news. Buzz is keeping fast ;) . thanx.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

boombaxx wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:21 pm Oh well i will just buy a D-Wave instead :D. Wonder if anyone has tried to make music with a d-wave.
:lol: :lol:
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

boombaxx wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:38 pm Currently i am running a core i5 4670k. I am thinking on upgrading to the ryzen anyone tried the 8 core with ht. Sixteen cores does sound good. I noticed that buzz can only handle 12. Does buzz include ht cores as real ones or is it only real ones. Never had hyper threading to try
Sorry for late response question : How did you decide for choosing processor for new workstation,great AMD Ryzen 3000 for multitasking or power consumer Intel ?
EDIT : If I may ask you... ;)
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Yes. I am interested in that, too

But see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFL3wOfPx9s

Single core is more important fur buzz, too, somebody stated out here in the forum, too.

According to this list the differences are not too big. Price is deciding ;)
Source: https://www.computerbase.de/thema/proze ... ingle-core
CPUranking.jpg
CPUranking.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 9130 times
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

HerrFornit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 am Yes. I am interested in that, too
Single core is more important fur buzz, too, somebody stated out here in the forum, too.
According to this list the differences are not too big. Price is deciding ;)
Thank you HerrFornit for response.The price/cores, in my case, is winner to decide... :)
I'm using Intel now (4 cores /8 threads,power consumer 77W max I guess :D ) and I'm happy with that ,sure.But ...
I didn't know, that single core performance is important for Buzz.
Thanks for links and performance diagram 8-)
Attachments
workstation TS.JPG
workstation TS.JPG (105.98 KiB) Viewed 9114 times
Last edited by temporalsounds on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.