Nyquist Plugins

Candle

Nyquist Plugins

Post by Candle »

With the release of Audacity 2.2.0 (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2344), I had this weird thought cross my often oddly thought-processed brain: would anyone want to make a Nyquist Plugin Loader for Buzz? Is it even possible (looks like the Nyquist programming language is C & C++ (according to its Soundforge site)). I'm no programmer, but this would be an interesting way to open up more possible machines for our favourite DAW.

Thoughts? Criticisms? Comments?

See You In The Shadows…
Candle

Re: Nyquist Plugins

Post by Candle »

ags

Post by ags »

Do they work in realtime? I thought they were just for offline processing.
Candle

Post by Candle »

ags wrote:Do they work in realtime? I thought they were just for offline processing.
Audacity uses them as plugins. I've never really played around with them much (doing most of my signal processing in Buzz), but reading up on them has sparked my interest. I'm not sure if they do real time or not. Good question…

See You In The Shadows…
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

When writing a plugin, things to consider are performance (not all languages run at the same speed), portability and reusability of code (using a well-known programming language increases chances for that), and then a general assessment of whether learning a new programming language seems relevant and worth the effort - especially if you're a slow learner, and not wildly interested in programming in itself.

For me, C and C++ have been the best matches.