missing machines on old BMX's

n3wjack

missing machines on old BMX's

Post by n3wjack »

Since I reinstalled my machine a long time ago and reinstalled Buzz I never got my old BMX's to work again.
They keep throwing up "missing" machines for some reason, even though I have the machines installed (in the MDB folder).

Does anyone know what's causing this, and possibly how to fix it?

Copying all the machines from the MDB folder into the Program files buzz Gear folders didn't help either.
I tried this as I figured maybe Buzz expects the machines to be at a specific path.

Creating a new BMX with the same machines does work. When I load it after restarting buzz the machines aren't missing.

So my other guess is that perhaps the versions of the machines don't match?
I don't know if I can check which version is expected and see which one I have installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is basically rendering all my old buzz tunes unavailable because I tend to use the same machines a lot (analog distortion is one of my favs for example).
n3wjack

Re: missing machines on old BMX's

Post by n3wjack »

Oh yeah, that error message in the status bar indicates the distort machine is in the wrong gear folder.
I just fixed that but it doesn't seem to make any difference. :(
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Did you try relaod in File>recent files... ?

If you did open the song by doubleclick, try saving the file first, then reload.

Works for me, of course the maschines must be in place.
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

HerrFornit wrote:Did you try relaod in File>recent files... ?

If you did open the song by doubleclick, try saving the file first, then reload.

Works for me, of course the maschines must be in place.
No, it was from the recent file list, or when I use File > Open
elekt

Post by elekt »

Could it be OS permissions? Try running buzz as admin.
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

It could be that the original was a stereo-wrapped version of the same machine. I had a similar problem with some of my old BMXs and was able to fix it by running Lee Dragon's Mono to Stereo Wrapper on the machines I needed. If you don't want to convert your entire Effects directory, you can just copy the machines you want to wrap to another directory and point the patcher there, then copy the (Stereo) versions back to Effects.

EDIT: The wrapper (as well as lots of other useful stuff) can be found on the kickedbyconsole site.
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

nathansnider wrote:It could be that the original was a stereo-wrapped version of the same machine. I had a similar problem with some of my old BMXs and was able to fix it by running Lee Dragon's Mono to Stereo Wrapper on the machines I needed. If you don't want to convert your entire Effects directory, you can just copy the machines you want to wrap to another directory and point the patcher there, then copy the (Stereo) versions back to Effects.

EDIT: The wrapper (as well as lots of other useful stuff) can be found on the kickedbyconsole site.

Good thinking! That's the problem indeed. :dance:
I have a bunch of "(stereo)" DLL's and apparently I've used those instead of the mono versions which currently ship with buzz.
I managed to load the BMX's in a backup of Buzz I still had sitting around, and when I right-click the machine there it has a "About mono to stereo wrapper" menu item at the bottom. So it's clearly wrapped.

It's been so long ago since I ran that util that I totally forgot about it. In fact, I'm not sure anymore what it's for exactly.
I'm guessing it avoids effects from converting to mono when there's a stereo signal going in?

Do you guys still use this with the new buzz?
Candle

Post by Candle »

n3wjack wrote:Do you guys still use this with the new buzz?
I do. The only thing I miss is some of the old Overloader Features (namely the Global Tuning setting). But "New" Buzz is definately stable & offers some great new features that have made composing & producing with Buzz so much better.

See You In The Shadows…