Assigning start/stop controls to MIDI?

River Cricket

Assigning start/stop controls to MIDI?

Post by River Cricket »

Hello!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before - did some searching but couldn't pull up this particular question.

Is it possible to assign the "play/stop/record/loop" buttons which are common on keyboard controllers these days to the relevant Buzz commands?

I know I could use Bome's MIDI Translate to switch the MIDI commands to the keyboard shortcuts (i.e., have the "play" button on the MIDI controller send "F6"), but that's a bit convoluted and inelegant, at best. :lol:

Also, another question I'd like to tack on to this thread: Is it possible to assign MIDI commands to the native "solo" / "mute" functions? I know I could run everything through MixIO and do it that way, but it'd be nice on some of my older .BMX's I made before getting my act together in that regard.

Thanks for helping me, and for all the work everyone does keeping Buzz around!
onecircles

Re: Assigning start/stop controls to MIDI?

Post by onecircles »

Great questions, I've wondered about the same things myself.

The f5 f7 f8 carriage controls also don't work unless the base buzz window has focus! I depend on these buttons working, but I have to always remember to click with the mouse on the base window. I'm sure this is going to embarrass me at some point in the future. I've been of the opinion that it isn't possible to control these via midi, but that's only because I haven't heard anything about it in the 5 or so years I've been using buzz, but I never thought to ask!
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

You might be able to get what you're looking for by sending notes to LiveJumpHack. I haven't had occasion to use that machine in years, but it could do loops, and you could get a sort of fake "stop" by sending it to an empty loop with nothing but note-offs.

I still mourn the parameter windows and machine view from old Buzz, which didn't have the pointless focus-stealing and the little volume/panning box that comes up when you right click a machine connection, seemingly always hidden behind one of the parameter windows. To this day, I will still occasionally right-click-D on a machine connection to try to disconnect it, to no avail.
polac

Post by polac »

My metronome machine has such a feature. Start/stop could be triggered by some notes. Don't know if it works properly with new buzz though, it was based on hacks to start/stop the song.
tinga

Post by tinga »

There is also IX Transport alpha 2, play stop and record are assignable in attributes at all CC you want, great tool.
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:There is also IX Transport alpha 2, play stop and record are assignable in attributes at all CC you want, great tool.
:D
I wonder if I can get it to turn looping on/off :?:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

WDE just made a machine that does this.

I have been using bome midi translator, and that works well.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

You can get the machine over in 'devs'