PeerState feature request (or alternative solution)

AndersBrontosaurus

PeerState feature request (or alternative solution)

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Hi.
I'm trying to use peerState in a sort of live jamming situation where i skip between snapshots using a knob on a midicontroller. What I would need is a button that can decide when to activate the new snapshots. As it is now every little spin activates the snapshots so if I want to go from snapshot nr 2 to nr 7 i have to activate nr 3,4,5,6 before i go to nr 7. It would also be easier to time the activation of the new snapshots with a button. Is this at all doable?

if there are other workarounds I'd be happy to receive them.
I guess i could make patterns in peerstate containing the different snapshots and activate them via pac's patternist but patternist is not really complete and pac hasn't been replying for years. Jeskola Live could also be used this way i suppose if the midicontrol was there.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Any suggestions appreciated!

/A
IXix

Re: PeerState feature request (or alternative solution)

Post by IXix »

There's probably a sneaky peer way of doing it. If there is, tinga might know something.

I can't go fiddling with PeerState just now, too many other things to think about. Don't worry though, the cavalry is coming. ;)
AndersBrontosaurus

<3
thOke

Post by thOke »

Each snapshot corresponds to a midi key you might press instead of using a controller.
help file wrote: The MIDI support in PeerState works as follows:

When a MIDI note is pressed, the corresponding numbered snapshot is restored and set as current. For example, a press on "Middle C" will call up snapshot number 60.
In addition, a note may be chosen (in the attributes) to act instead as a "store snapshot" key.
At first you have to right-click on peer state and enable midi channel(s). In the snapshot manager you can see, which snapshot corresponds to which midi key.
midi snap.jpg
midi snap.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 11398 times
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:helpful information
Ha, I forgot it responds to MIDI. I've never had much need for PeerState but it's a powerful tool. :oops:
AndersBrontosaurus

Thanks for the tip!
When I have better control over Lua/Hidmacros I will be able to navigate between open windows in a controlled way so I think this can work.
AndersBrontosaurus

Thoke, i fail to pull off the midistunt. What can I be doing wrong? I have the virtual keyboard up and running but I can't make it send signals to Peerstate.

If i would like to run three different peerstatemachines in one song I would have to use 3 virtual keyboards right?
thOke

Post by thOke »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:Thoke, i fail to pull off the midistunt. What can I be doing wrong? I have the virtual keyboard up and running but I can't make it send signals to Peerstate.
Probably you lost focus of midi (you can lock a certain machine to receive midi in the upper right drop-down). To avoid this, enable midi input on the peer machines. Now all machines will receive midi on the specified channel(s).

Or you simply are in the wrong octave on your midi keyboard.
Here the peer snapshots start at C-2 = C minus 2 !!!
AndersBrontosaurus wrote:If i would like to run three different peerstatemachines in one song I would have to use 3 virtual keyboards right?
No, simply use different snapshots for the different peer states and enable the same midi-in channel for all peer machines.
I attached an example, where the first three snaps are changing the infector sound (C-2,C#-2,D-2) and
snaps 7 and 8 (G-2,G#-2) change the sound of qsamo.
PeerStateMidiSnapshots.jpg
PeerStateMidiSnapshots.jpg (146.71 KiB) Viewed 11225 times
PeerStateMidiSnapshots.zip
(4.05 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
AndersBrontosaurus

Thank you for that superpedagogic explanation!
Look forward to try it out.
AndersBrontosaurus

Despite your pedagogic explanation I fail to pull it off.

I have set Peerstate to accept midi on all channels
i have clicked in the upper corner of the screen to pull out the virtual keyboard and set it to "Peer state" (if this matters)
I have made sure that i press the right keys on the keyboard that correspond to the saved state? ( or, i tried all of them)

what can i have missed?
I do manage to get sounds from other machines in the track like Qsamo so something works...

Also, would it be possible to send keypress on my midicontroller to the peerstae in some way, like [midikey > peerctrl> IX-split > peerstate] ?
AndersBrontosaurus

Have now tried everything above again +
- tried to assign note instead of CC on the midicontroller
- tried to send to Peerstate from the very reliable scalewalker.

No luck

Can someone confirm that controlling peerstate via keyboard-note works on their system so it's not a bug and only me failing?
tinga

Post by tinga »

AndersBrontosaurus wrote: Can someone confirm that controlling peerstate via keyboard-note works on their system so it's not a bug and only me failing?
Yes, me :lol: Works perfectly, in fact not, there is something new, inertia for cool morphing seems to be dead, there is a sort of retrig, but change the snapshots works fine, maybe you forgot an important thing, you have to select the midi channel in the attributes and also in the right click menu, sometime I forget this, it seems we have to do that for buzz midi machines, GreenMilk for example.
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:inertia for cool morphing seems to be dead
A bug? I'll have a look when I get a minute.
AndersBrontosaurus

tinga wrote: maybe you forgot an important thing, you have to select the midi channel in the attributes and also in the right click menu
...What do you mean by attributes?
tinga

Post by tinga »

...What do you mean by attributes?
Right click on Peerstate, select "Attributes", select the midi channel (the same of course you have selected in "MIDI Input Channel", just under "Attributes").
tinga

Post by tinga »

IX wrote:A bug? I'll have a look when I get a minute.
Thanks, I don't know when it happened, at first I though that it was me and a weird setup, but yes a bug :cry:

AndersBrontosaurus wrote:...What do you mean by attributes?
20181119_141145.gif
20181119_141145.gif (313.81 KiB) Viewed 10482 times
AndersBrontosaurus

tinga!
Yes it works! thanks a lot! i had completely overlooked "attributes". It's so often greyed out on machines that I've never bothered to understand what it does.
Once again, thanka a lot.
tinga

Post by tinga »

tinga wrote:Thanks, I don't know when it happened, at first I though that it was me and a weird setup, but yes a bug :cry:
Aarghh, sorry, its me and stupid thing I do sometime (too often), PeerState is perfect :?
So I hope you didn't loose time with a bug that was just in my head :oops:
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:
tinga wrote:Thanks, I don't know when it happened, at first I though that it was me and a weird setup, but yes a bug :cry:
Aarghh, sorry, its me and stupid thing I do sometime (too often), PeerState is perfect :?
So I hope you didn't loose time with a bug that was just in my head :oops:
No, not looked yet! :lol:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Way to go guys, I am getting into peerstate so I'm glad to see some new info on possible snags with it.

Yeah anders, make sure to check attributes. Some of the most important stuff on many machines is in there.