Buzz 64

boombaxx

Buzz 64

Post by boombaxx »

Just moving to Buzz 64 bit. Due to buying a new i5 system with 8 gb of ram. Is there still full compatibility with 32 bit buzz plugins. Is there anything i need to be looking at or changing
boombaxx

Re: Buzz 64

Post by boombaxx »

Does peer machines work in 64 bit cannot get assignment parameters to show. Works in 32 bit
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Unless you're dealing with huge (as in >4Gb) sample libraries I'd really not worry about the 64bit build, just stick with the 32 bit one
Although written for Ableton, most of this generally applies for Buzz too - https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

I use Kontakt and Steve slate drums most of the time. Which use memory like nobodies business. So have to use 64bit seems stable enough. Cannot get the polac asio driver to work :( and a few other niggles nothing major
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

you don't have to run buzz 64, kontakt can use it's own process and allocate memory there.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

didn't know that :D
polac

Post by polac »

Cannot get the polac asio driver to work
It should work in Buzz64 too, but you have to use the waveout drivers from the x64 pvst loader package. Here it works fine.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

I copied over the 64 bit wo_pasio.dll to the correct folder it still comes up with device not connected maybe it is something to do with my audio card a M-audio delta 1010. It is funny it works fine with 32 bit Buzz
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

As 4 years is a long time in p̶o̶l̶i̶t̶i̶c̶s̶ computers, all the VSTs I have on my machine have been updated to 64bit versions as Ableton (my current secret wife from Buzz) is now 64bit only. So to bump this thread I have a little query:
Joachip wrote:Most people use the 32 bit version which is the most tested one.
And it can actually load 64-bit VST plugins... because polac is a wizard!
Which setup do you think is the most stable - the stable 32bit of Buzz with Polac's VST loader bridging to 64bit VSTs, or using the native (but experimental) 64bit Buzz build without bridging ?

And a response to me from 2014:
mcbpete wrote:Unless you're dealing with huge (as in >4Gb) sample libraries I'd really not worry about the 64bit build, just stick with the 32 bit one
Yep I am indeed me-from-the-past, you should see the size of some of the packs I've got installed - you'll be properly jealous !
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

I think about this thread some times... So nowdays are you keeping a huge amount of samples in ram? I was thinking about this, and although I have a big collection of samples I can only ever use 128 at a time, so it doesn't end up being that much ram. Why are your samples so big? Are they like 392khz!!? :lol: :cry:

I think I would go for the 64 bit build if I were in your shoes. Some people talk like they have good results it seems.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

onecircles wrote:Why are your samples so big? Are they like 392khz!!? :lol: :cry:
Nope just very very multisampled - the largest single instrument I probably have is Virharmonic's fabulous Bohemian Cello which is 4.8Gb in lowest quality ! Here's a track I did with it's brother (Bohemian Violin) which again is around the 4gig mark: https://caretakertribute.bandcamp.com/t ... ch-the-sky

My Kontakt libraries aren't usually too heavy RAM-wise (they seem to buffer ~1gb into RAM and stream other samples from disk) but my UVI libraries are a bit more ..... obese :)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Wow, I had no idea that synth strings could sound so true to life. I almost don't believe you. It sounds so expressive and organic, and the tone is perfect.

Does it take a long time to script all kinds of bow positions and speed and oh lord I can't even imagine what else!?

It sounds so organic that I'm imagining you might just say

#include<strings.io>

Bitchin_tune(heart)
___{
___for(duration = fluid)
______{
______bow at .2 meters per second;
______third finger on second string;
______increase respiration of virtualviolinisto;
______commence internal gaseous movements;
______}
___}

JK. But yeah. That piece you wrote is amazing. Buzz got our own shostakovich in here. Actually it kind of reminds me of Rachels, which is one of my favorites. So great job.
IXix

Post by IXix »

mcbpete wrote:Which setup do you think is the most stable - the stable 32bit of Buzz with Polac's VST loader bridging to 64bit VSTs, or using the native (but experimental) 64bit Buzz build without bridging ?
I'd be surprised if there were any serious problems with the 64bit Buzz but I guess the only way to find out is suck it and see. My instincts as a low-grade code monkey suggest that 64bit native without bridging is likely to have less to go wrong.

Sorry I can't offer any more concrete advice. I'm still stuck in 32bit land myself. :(
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks IXix - Yeah I might just have to suck it and see ;)

onecircles: Yeah it's an utter joy to play with, unlike most other orchestral libraries there's virtually no keyswitching involved, the scripting seems to do it all on the fly depending on your playing style. It's constantly being developed so will just get more and more realistic as they improve the scripting and increase the recorded iteration of notes. The piano is the physically modelled Pianoteq if you're interested (another piece of programming wizardry !)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Interesting!

I was ignorant to all this stuff, but it looks pretty amazing, and pretty expensive!. I'm sure it sounds incredible.

So are you going to get kontakt and UVI workstation going in buzz? That's going to be rad. I support it.

Is that how it works? Are kontakt and UVI like hosts that run in VST and have their own file formats beneath that? Can they run in buzz?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah they're just VSTs so completely fine to run in Buzz (in fact I'd used Pianoteq in Buzz for years ...)
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Well, looks like you will have to be a 64 bitist. Maybe oskari, upon hearing of your exploits, will give us a new build with enhanced 64bit support, and then we can all join you.

Keep us posted. I'll be interested to hear of any limitations you encounter. I've been 32bit since years ago, when the you from the other time stream convinced me with that post you quoted hehe.

It's like in ocarina of time when you have to fight your own reflection, only this time it's even more epic. :lol:
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Hmm unless I'm doing something very wrong Buzz64 definitely doesn't seem to be an option at the moment. Any .bmx I load (no matter how simple - even stuff I did nearly 20 years ago (wow, has it really been that long?!) with just a trilok, jeskola tracker, jeskola reverb and a ninja delay) will load but not output any sound and then crash when I press stop. Even looking at some of the generator's parameter windows will cause the whole thing to lock up...

Oddly creating stuff from scratch seems OK (not totally stable, just deleting some machines may cause a crash), but loading previous (32bit) projects seem to always lock it up. Are the two formats not cross compatible maybe ?

I'm presuming that in Buzz64 *every* native buzz machine has to be bridged to be made available in a 64bit exe - guess that causes a bit of a compatibility nightmare ...
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Sad.

Well, I'm not surprised that really old BMX don't run. I have a lot of trouble with bmx from only 5 years ago and a few builds back.

What plugins are you planning on using for your new works in buzz? Maybe you will find that the plugins that you REALLY need will work? And maybe the ones that don't work can send you in new directions that you wouldn't have gone in otherwise.

I have two installations of buzz on my computer. One gets every plugin, and the other just gets a small subset of plugins that I use all the time. If a plugin becomes non-negotiable and enters the pantheon, it goes into the smaller install.

If I were setting up a 64 bit install of buzz, I would focus on compatibility first. I know I'm definitely not going to be able to use every plugin. So I would start by making a kind of 64 bit compatibility list by swapping machines in and out.

I have some limitations: I am totally focused on midi in my setup, and that has forced me to work only with qsamo and m4wII. As far as I have been able to gather, these are the only machines which truly behave and record midi data in all the different situations that I need them to record. I've accepted this as a limitation that I have to be creative with.

I'm ok with having an older sound though. It sounds like you're going cutting edge. I really would hope that buzz would be able to do that for you, but it's a hassle and who knows, maybe it won't work.

Are you on windows 10 btw?
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

From this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1873

Tiadiad:
I've been running 64-bit Buzz exclusively. All of the VSTs I use are 64 bits, and 98 out of 100 times everything runs smoothly. If you're using 8 gigs of ram you should look into 64 bit buzz, as I understand it there is no point in having anything over 4 gigs if you are running at 32 bits.