IX Magic 1.16d - October 30th, 2023

tinga

Re: IX Magic - Updated Jan 19th 2019

Post by tinga »

onecircles wrote:Also can't find peer scale, so a link to that as well would be great.
BTDSys PeerScale.7z
(36.76 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
nice machine.
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Mars 2.5
Attachments
mars2.5.rar
(61.06 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

onecircles wrote:It's not off topic because if you don't get this sorted, you can't be in on the fun. There's a fairly small pool of possible users of this plugin, and you're one of them. The plugin needs users. If the plugin doesn't have users, well, you can't find bugs and people won't be using it, and what's the point of even going on with life!!? jk.

I have a parallel installation of both pattern editors and, in my case, I am able to freely switch between with no loss of pattern data.

Do you have this exact version of visual c++ installed?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53840

no. As I can remember it gets replaced by a newer version.
It's all a deja vu, I suspect.

EDIT: I tried to install the visual c++ 2015 anyway, but I got setup failures.
Error 0x80070666: Cannot install a product when a newer version is installed.

Already tried last year ...
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Thanks guys!

Yeah that makes sense. I just ask because I installed this exact version which was linked by chahur in the thread, and the issues that I was having went away.

You could uninstall your current version and install this version to get around that error. No guarantees though! I'm no wizard. I just am sharing what worked for me.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

onecircles wrote:Thanks guys!

Yeah that makes sense. I just ask because I installed this exact version which was linked by chahur in the thread, and the issues that I was having went away.

You could uninstall your current version and install this version to get around that error. No guarantees though! I'm no wizard. I just am sharing what worked for me.

No problem. Thank you for this hint! It's the right track... :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:Win10 64bit, 1920x1080 (recommended resolution), no special or larger font in use as far as i know,
with Buzz default theme.
I don't know why it looks different for you and tinga. I'd assume it's something specific to your system, maybe a Windows theme or something. I don't have Win10 so I'm in the dark, sorry. :(
tinga wrote:I haven't the real time messages in messages window.
You're not seeing any messages in that window at all?
Candle

Post by Candle »

Sorry for the tardiness of my follow-up. I've been busy participating in February Album Writing Month (FAWM). But my first song for FAWM this year was put together using Magic. It's a little ditty I like to call Do You Believe In Flying Saucers?. It was lots of fun to make - especially getting to know Magic. I'm hoping to use it in further FAWM songs this month.

Thanks for all your hard work IX! You're one of the ones keeping the Buzz Torch burning strong!

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Post by IXix »

Candle wrote:my first song for FAWM this year was put together using Magic. It's a little ditty I like to call Do You Believe In Flying Saucers?. It was lots of fun to make - especially getting to know Magic.
Nice track. 8-)
thOke

Post by thOke »

IXix wrote:
thOke wrote:Win10 64bit, 1920x1080 (recommended resolution), no special or larger font in use as far as i know,
with Buzz default theme.
I don't know why it looks different for you and tinga. I'd assume it's something specific to your system, maybe a Windows theme or something. I don't have Win10 so I'm in the dark, sorry. :(
Ooops, it is my Win10 !!! "Scaling" of text, apps and other elements was set to 125%!!! (i am an old fart :ugeek: )
I didn't realize that before, because i had to sign off to activate these settings.
scaling.jpg
scaling.jpg (17.68 KiB) Viewed 8867 times
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:Ooops, it is my Win10 !!! "Scaling" of text, apps and other elements was set to 125%!!! (i am an old fart :ugeek: )
Ha, that's okay, I'm a moderately old fart myself. ;)

Odd that it shunted the edit off the bottom of the window though. :?
tinga

Post by tinga »

IXix wrote:You're not seeing any messages in that window at all?
I have just a first message when I load the file, and also when I stop.
magix-message.JPG
magix-message.JPG (24.75 KiB) Viewed 8806 times
(sorry for the compression)
Amazing machine, when I use PeerLFO as trigger, I can use ms for rate, so all units are ms, EG delay, great, easy to make a drum machine, with groove and some random, so many things to do. A very unique sequencer, how we can cross sequences is a good way to create new things.
I want now to try it with midi controllers.
IXix

Post by IXix »

tinga wrote:I have just a first message when I load the file, and also when I stop.
Ah okay, that looks like it's working normally. I should stop it from displaying those watch messages as you don't need to see those.
tinga wrote:Amazing machine, when I use PeerLFO as trigger, I can use ms for rate, so all units are ms, EG delay, great, easy to make a drum machine, with groove and some random, so many things to do. A very unique sequencer, how we can cross sequences is a good way to create new things.
I want now to try it with midi controllers.
Thanks. Let me know if you hit any problems or think of possible improvements.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Important notice! :!:

Nobody use the random track feature for peer Events, it really sucks.

The way it works is that when the track list text is processed, it replaces any instance of 'R' with a random number from 0-n (where n is the last available target track) but that means that it will use the same random track every time the Event fires, which isn't very random. I did it that way because picking a random track just when one is needed is super awkward because of how lots of the code is set up, but I didn't think the solution through well enough and so it sucks.

I think I've figured out a way to do it properly so a random track can be selected at the point of triggering but doing so will change existing songs if the random track feature has been used, so don't use it yet. :roll:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Candle wrote:It's a little ditty I like to call Do You Believe In Flying Saucers?. It was lots of fun to make - especially getting to know Magic.
Great ditty candle! Super cool. I'm jealous. I want to make something similar now. :mrgreen:
Candle

Post by Candle »

onecircles wrote:
Candle wrote:It's a little ditty I like to call Do You Believe In Flying Saucers?. It was lots of fun to make - especially getting to know Magic.
Great ditty candle! Super cool. I'm jealous. I want to make something similar now. :mrgreen:
Thanks onecircles! I'm knee deep in February Album Writing Month so I've been away from here because of that. Glad that you & IX took the time to listen. I really appreciate it!

See You In The Shadows…
IXix

Re: IX Magic - Updated Feb 15th 2019

Post by IXix »

Update bump! :dance:
IXix wrote:2019.02.15 - IX Magic 1.09d- x86
+ Machine version 1.09d (still file version 10, yay!)
+ Moved note-off mode into common Event controls
+ MIDI Ctrl/Note Events and Trigger Sequence Events now allow selection of note-off mode.
+ Added options/attributes for default MIDI/Control Event note-off modes
+ Dialog reshuffle
+ Improved random track behaviour (random tracks are now picked when needed)
+ Added random track in range (eg. R:2-6)
+ Improved random seeds for more randomness
+ Fixed a couple of bugs where a random choice would never hit the top of its range
+ Improved auto-assign of Peer Note Event note/velocity params
+ Fixed Peer Note Event handling of global note parameters (ACloud)
+ Added controls for Peer/MIDI Note Event cut mode
+ Improved/fixed handling of track parameter 'Cut' (no longer ends Events that ignore note-off)
+ Messages dialog now shows 100% fewer developer-ish messages
+ Improved Event dialog refresh on velocity layer changes
+ Updated docs
A little late for Valentine's but I still love you all. ;)

Big news is much more random randomness in the random track feature (so much fun with Matilde!) and note-off modes for non-peer Events (MIDI Note wasn't working well with my drum pads). Moving off-mode into the common Event controls forced me to enlarge the dialog a bit, which I didn't want to do, but the extra space let me lay out the controls in a more logical way and also expose the note cut mode for Peer/MIDI Note Events.

Using a Dropbox link for now to save Oskari's bandwidth but I'll ask Joachip to include it on robot planet as if nobody reports any serious problems. Hopefully I didn't break anything. :shock:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

The gods of entropy and chaos are pleased with your update. You have honored the sacred randomness.... yes.
thOke

Post by thOke »

IXix wrote:Update bump! :dance:
IXix wrote:2019.02.15 - IX Magic 1.09d- x86
+ Machine version 1.09d (still file version 10, yay!)
+ Moved note-off mode into common Event controls
+ MIDI Ctrl/Note Events and Trigger Sequence Events now allow selection of note-off mode.
+ Added options/attributes for default MIDI/Control Event note-off modes
+ Dialog reshuffle
+ Improved random track behaviour (random tracks are now picked when needed)
+ Added random track in range (eg. R:2-6)
+ Improved random seeds for more randomness
+ Fixed a couple of bugs where a random choice would never hit the top of its range
+ Improved auto-assign of Peer Note Event note/velocity params
+ Fixed Peer Note Event handling of global note parameters (ACloud)
+ Added controls for Peer/MIDI Note Event cut mode
+ Improved/fixed handling of track parameter 'Cut' (no longer ends Events that ignore note-off)
+ Messages dialog now shows 100% fewer developer-ish messages
+ Improved Event dialog refresh on velocity layer changes
+ Updated docs
A little late for Valentine's but I still love you all. ;)

Hopefully I didn't break anything. :shock:
Great! We love you even more! ;)
I think this version is not fully backwards compatible though. Most files saved with previous versions open with the empty default page, but i can fix it by loading a saved page template from the older version into the new version.
IXix

Post by IXix »

thOke wrote:I think this version is not fully backwards compatible though. Most files saved with previous versions open with the empty default page, but i can fix it by loading a saved page template from the older version into the new version.
That's very odd. Nothing changed that should cause any issues like that. I just went through a bunch of the files you and tinga have posted in this thread and had no problem loading any of them. :?:
rav

Post by rav »

Are you sure, that you've posted link to the newest version? :D
I see 2019.01.07 date in the link.