Mixing in Buzz (Please discuss)

invisible_sweater

Mixing in Buzz (Please discuss)

Post by invisible_sweater »

Hey folks, still deep in some mixing projects in Buzz. Finally giving my 2010-2014 material a well-needed facelift. Does anyone here want to share some screenshots of your Machine View for a mixing workflow? Or cools tips and tricks to share? I feel like I go a bit overboard sometimes so I'm trying to simplify as much as I can without losing the detail and character of how I wrote the songs. Style is like hip-hop on the beat, with rock guitar and vocals sampled in, lots of glitches and noisy stuff for a psychedelic vibe.
onecircles

Re: Mixing in Buzz (Please discuss)

Post by onecircles »

I started a pics thread if you ever want to come post pics of whatever you're working on. Actually all the posts so far have been about mixing.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2457

I'mma post some stuff in here though. Let me go make ye olde screene shottes.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Here's my template BMX that I always begin from.

onecircles

Post by onecircles »

This BMX is at about revision 200. It started last spring. It was really simple back then, and it just keeps growing.

It does:

Vocal Effects (bottom left)

Guitar Effects (mid left)

4 synthesizers (across the top):
2x qsamo
2x m4w2
all their effects

Geist Drum Machine VST (mid right)

Sound Sources (bottom right)

I have compressors on my vocals and my qsamo bass.

I have many antonio MixIO everywhere that I sum signals, or split them to do effects in paralell.

I use IX patch bay in the bottom right so that I can freely rout any of the 4 sound sources from mediavst into any of the 4 signal paths. The lower right area has space in it so that I can drop effects in live and experiment.

The other thing that I figured out is that I use scorpi multi track writer immediately after my guitar and vocals so it takes a totally dry signal as a 96khz wav. Then I have mediavst in paralell with polac asio in. That way I can record a vocal take or a guitar take and then play it back in-line with the same effects chain so that I can fiddle with all the complexities while the take is running.

All this is highly integrated into midi as well. Like I have the 4 sound sources cross fading on an xy pad, and a mod stick doing a pitch shift and delay on those. And all the parameters of the 4 synths are in midi, so I have several peerctrl to do that.

Not exactly a mixing setup. It's a setup oriented around live, but since I perform with the DAW computer I built, I am aiming to have a live sound that is fully produced by the time it reaches the amplifiers.
Last edited by onecircles on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

It's amazing how buzz can adapt via it's modular architecture to whatever you want it to do.

If I were doing a lot of heavy mixing in buzz I would buy a midi mixing console like this tascam m-3700 for $290

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-M-3700- ... ondition=4

Get it all set up in midi using peer ctrl, and you could do some wild stuff.
IXix

Post by IXix »

onecircles wrote:Here's my template BMX that I always begin from....
And I thought mine was overcomplicated! :lol:
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

My Buzzing from 2012 onwards would always run with this just before the Master -

http://buzz.robotplanet.dk/machineinfo.php?id=8171

Definitely found the workflow and the metering greatly aided my mix
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Yeah! I always use Mixio in my setup. A superb tool.