Re: new pvst beta (updated 29-Mar-2019)

Post by temporalsounds »

Thank you Polac !
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

polac asio problem.png
polac asio problem.png (7.13 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
I'm not able to get the Polac ASIO driver to show up in the list after installing the latest version from the website. Any idea what would cause this or how to fix it?

Edit: now that I post this, it looks like I installed the 64 bit version instead of the x86 version
:roll:
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

So I have sort of a long standing issue to report that is not fixed by the latest version.

When I load a song that has Polac ASIO Inputs that go beyond the number of actual ASIO Inputs I have on my sound card, the song crashes. Real world example my Behringer UMC404 has 4 inputs, and my M-Audio Fast Track only has 2. When I try to load up the song with the UMC, it fails.

Expected behavior would be to load up with a dummy channel selected or crash the plugin or something instead of the whole song. Any way to make that happen? :D
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

mridlen wrote:
Expected behavior would be to load up with a dummy channel selected or crash the plugin or something instead of the whole song. Any way to make that happen? :D

Have you tried to change ASIO latency , I have thousands crashes with my E-MU ASIO drivers sometimes.(Win 7 64bit)
I didn´t try latest Polac VST yet. I use b31 and everything works good. :)
Last edited by temporalsounds on Mon May 13, 2019 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7&start=300#p11200

Hello everybody, i would like to point to my message from a while ago ,

does that issue have ever been fixed (by Oskari) ?

RJ
thOke

Post by thOke »

RJ1 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7&start=300#p11200

Hello everybody, i would like to point to my message from a while ago ,

does that issue have ever been fixed (by Oskari) ?

RJ

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2141

hm, you already posted there and that doesn't seem to be your problem,
i still don't know a way to index vst dlls, if they all are in one folder.
RJ1

Post by RJ1 »

They are indexed, but appear in one single column only. :(
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

RJ1 wrote:They are indexed, but appear in one single column only. :(
I did not notice this as a bug yet. But a tag based sytem I miss sometimes. :) At least since I gave up the fight against the vst installers resulting in a distributed installation pattern.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

temporalsounds wrote:
mridlen wrote:

Have you tried to change ASIO latency , I have thousands crashes with my E-MU ASIO drivers sometimes.(Win 7 64bit)
I didn´t try latest Polac VST yet. I use b31 and everything works good. :)
It's not a latency issue. It only crashes when I don't have enough ASIO input/output channels on the attached sound card. So let me try again to explain it:

I have the Behringer which has 4 inputs. I hook up an ASIO input on channel 3.

Save song, Close Buzz.

Then I unplug the Behringer and plug in the M-Audio, which has 2 inputs.

Start Buzz, and I load the song. When it loads the ASIO input machine it crashes, presumably because it is using channel 3 which goes beyond the 2 channels on my M-Audio.

I really don't care about it trying to do anything. I just want the song to load up so that I can save patches and do work on it from my desktop workstation.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

I understand. I have same behavior with my soundcards too.

When I save song with soundcard Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 which has 1 input(Asio In selected channel 0 expected) and load in computer where is installed different card with more inputs it works fine.
Vice versa is questionable.
When I save song with E-MU sound card (I hook up channel 3 as well),saved it,and try to load with HD2 soundcard, Buzz has stopped working.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Side question: What theme are you using? That looks nice!
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

mridlen wrote:Side question: What theme are you using? That looks nice!
Hehe,I asked the same question magmavander, at ´psi drum kits´topic (USERS), he advised me about this theme called ´MIRE´
Or you can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2386
You can find steps there how to get this nice theme. ;)
Thanks to magmavander and developer mirens ofcourse. :)
nathansnider

Re: new pvst beta (updated 29-Apr-2018)

Post by nathansnider »

nathansnider wrote:
rohka wrote:The menus in TAL Sampler's GUI are unusable. E.g. clicking on the preset name should bring up a menu but the menu disappears instantly. :(

The menus work in other hosts so the issue would seem specific to Polac loader, but can someone else test to make sure it's not just me? The demo version of TAL Sampler is available at https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
I installed the demo, and I'm able to open the menus (including the preset one) just fine. Can't figure out how to get it to properly load SFZ mappings, but that's a different matter. I'm on Windows 7 here, in case that makes any difference.

I have had similar menu problems using certain other VSTs in Buzz though, particularly T-Racks from IK Multimedia. Pretty much any selection popup (like, say, clicking on the preset name to pick a preset, or selecting modulation targets in the reverbs) in those plugins does not work at all.

It might be a similar problem in both cases, where a dev has gotten too tricky with a custom menu popup, and PVST doesn't render it as intended. I notice that the TAL menu just sort of floats there; you can open it, then drag the window for the VST around and the menu stays in the same place. It doesn't close at all until you click somewhere in the TAL Sample window, so it's clearly some kind of non-standard UI element.
So I'm noticing this problem pop up (or rather *not* pop up, I guess) more often lately, always with 64-bit VSTs. I've turned on "prevent focus stealing" in the preferences, but it has no effect.

In a couple cases, where I've also installed the 32-bit plugins, the 32-bit versions work fine. This would explain why rohka was having the problem before but others couldn't reproduce it. I tried installing the 64-bit version of TAL Sampler just now and sure enough, the menu is broken, but it works in the 32-bit version. The T-Racks 5 plugins I mentioned earlier are 64-bit only, so nothing to test against there.

Pianoteq Pro, Devious Machines Texture, DiscoDSP Vertigo and Klanghelm MJUC are some other examples where the 32-bit VSTs work fine but the 64-bit versions won't produce any kind of menu popups. All of them use some kind of custom popup (i.e. not just a regular gray Windows UI box), so I assume that has something to do with it.

In case it helps diagnose the problem, here are some VSTs that have non-standard popup menus but still work fine in both 32- and 64-bit: Sugarbytes Aparillo, AAS Chromaphone 2, XLN RC-20 and DiscoDSP Corona (yay!).
thOke

Post by thOke »

nathansnider wrote: So I'm noticing this problem pop up (or rather *not* pop up, I guess) more often lately, always with 64-bit VSTs. I've turned on "prevent focus stealing" in the preferences, but it has no effect.
The menus of these 64-bit vst plugins actually just do not pop up in the 32-bit version of Buzz -
in the 64-bit version of Buzz they do. So it probably is a bridging problem.
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

thOke wrote:
nathansnider wrote: So I'm noticing this problem pop up (or rather *not* pop up, I guess) more often lately, always with 64-bit VSTs. I've turned on "prevent focus stealing" in the preferences, but it has no effect.
The menus of these 64-bit vst plugins actually just do not pop up in the 32-bit version of Buzz -
Ah, interesting. Do any 32-bit plugins have similar issues in 64-bit Buzz, or does the problem just flow one way?

Hopefully there's some simple fix. In the affected plugins, menus will often flicker on briefly before disappearing, so it looks like they're being produced, but maybe the click is just cascading through to the background and immediately closing them.
thOke

Post by thOke »

nathansnider wrote: Ah, interesting. Do any 32-bit plugins have similar issues in 64-bit Buzz, or does the problem just flow one way?

Hopefully there's some simple fix. In the affected plugins, menus will often flicker on briefly before disappearing, so it looks like they're being produced, but maybe the click is just cascading through to the background and immediately closing them.
Yes, the problem seems to be the same with 32-bit plugins in the 64-bit version of Buzz.
I have CableGuys ShaperBox and the menu is flickering/unselectable if the "bit-version" of the plugin and Buzz do not match.
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

nathansnider wrote:
nathansnider wrote:
rohka wrote:The menus in TAL Sampler's GUI are unusable. E.g. clicking on the preset name should bring up a menu but the menu disappears instantly. :(

The menus work in other hosts so the issue would seem specific to Polac loader, but can someone else test to make sure it's not just me? The demo version of TAL Sampler is available at https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler
I installed the demo, and I'm able to open the menus (including the preset one) just fine. Can't figure out how to get it to properly load SFZ mappings, but that's a different matter. I'm on Windows 7 here, in case that makes any difference.

I have had similar menu problems using certain other VSTs in Buzz though, particularly T-Racks from IK Multimedia. Pretty much any selection popup (like, say, clicking on the preset name to pick a preset, or selecting modulation targets in the reverbs) in those plugins does not work at all.

It might be a similar problem in both cases, where a dev has gotten too tricky with a custom menu popup, and PVST doesn't render it as intended. I notice that the TAL menu just sort of floats there; you can open it, then drag the window for the VST around and the menu stays in the same place. It doesn't close at all until you click somewhere in the TAL Sample window, so it's clearly some kind of non-standard UI element.
So I'm noticing this problem pop up (or rather *not* pop up, I guess) more often lately, always with 64-bit VSTs. I've turned on "prevent focus stealing" in the preferences, but it has no effect.

In a couple cases, where I've also installed the 32-bit plugins, the 32-bit versions work fine. This would explain why rohka was having the problem before but others couldn't reproduce it. I tried installing the 64-bit version of TAL Sampler just now and sure enough, the menu is broken, but it works in the 32-bit version. The T-Racks 5 plugins I mentioned earlier are 64-bit only, so nothing to test against there.

Pianoteq Pro, Devious Machines Texture, DiscoDSP Vertigo and Klanghelm MJUC are some other examples where the 32-bit VSTs work fine but the 64-bit versions won't produce any kind of menu popups. All of them use some kind of custom popup (i.e. not just a regular gray Windows UI box), so I assume that has something to do with it.

In case it helps diagnose the problem, here are some VSTs that have non-standard popup menus but still work fine in both 32- and 64-bit: Sugarbytes Aparillo, AAS Chromaphone 2, XLN RC-20 and DiscoDSP Corona (yay!).

Same here with the great free VST ToneLibGFX (x64 version only!) on my Win10x64 and Buzz x86. The pull down menu does disappear after one click. Pressing the menu permanently (Left mouse) it is flickering. The stand alone version is ok.
Just found out a WORKAROUND for this VST: press the cursor key up/down for selecting a menu entry while flickering (left mouse + up/down key).
Perhaps that works for other plugins?
ToneLibGFX.jpg
ToneLibGFX.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 12534 times
sfMan

Post by sfMan »

Disable prevent focus stealing option for these VSTs. It should restore normal plugins behaviour
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

thOke wrote:
@sfMan
thanx.
Tried both. Same problem. Perhaps you have disabled something else?
You don't have that problem?
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

Hi polac,

for some VST I have installed multiple versions (VST2, VST3, 32 and 64 bit).
To identify the used version in an given setup I can have a look into the plugin information. But I can not read the installation path in full length.
Is it possible to read this anywhere else ? (Nice would be the path in the top of the editors window or in the "ready to rok" status line ;) )
Or any other way to identify the used version?