Index.txt menu bug

IXix

Index.txt menu bug

Post by IXix »

For a long time, I've been struggling with my index. Something causes it to put separators where there shouldn't be any. I've always assumed it was just some problem with the formatting of my own index.txt but just now I noticed that the bug even affects the lists generated by Polac VST...

I tried debugging it in BuzzGUI to see if it was some simple thing but I can't tell what's going wrong. The only thing I noticed is that in BuildMachineIndexMenuItems(IMenuItem mie) every child of mie has the property IsSeparator set to true.

What's happening?

edit: Image doesn't seem to work so https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3szbs8y08i61 ... g.png?dl=0
Joachip

Re: Index.txt menu bug

Post by Joachip »

Not sure what's going on there, but as a test you could try my auto indexer tool.

Careful: It overwrites your current index.txt file!

www.robotplanet.dk/files/buzz/auto-indexer02.rar
The files should go into the Gear folder, and you should be inside that folder when you run it.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Joachip wrote:Not sure what's going on there, but as a test you could try my auto indexer tool...
Thanks. Same thing happens with the generated index, though a lot less. Some machine entries in the index are replaced with separators but I can't see any pattern to it.

My index sprawls a bit and it's formatted for easier reading/editing so I assumed it was my formatting causing it but I tried lots of different things (getting rid of whitespace, getting rid of separators etc.) and sometimes it would seem to work but then I add another machine entry or insert another separator and it goes wrong again. Sometime it seems okay but then I discover unwanted separators lurking in some submenu.

I know it used to be okay but I'm not sure when it started to go wrong. I might have to try going back through old builds because it's very frustrating.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Here's a capture...

(Image still not working, I think DropBox have changed something recently - link here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/du7lid9k4o76z ... 2.png?dl=0

...and here's the relevant section of the index...

Code: Select all

majkol freebase, majkol freebase
 majkol freebaseBETA4, majkol freebaseBETA4

/Matilde (5) ...
  Matilde Tracker (Mono), Matilde Tracker (Mono)
  Matilde Tracker 9, Matilde Tracker 9
  Matilde Tracker, Matilde Tracker
  Matilde Tracker2, Matilde Tracker2
  Matilde Tracker3, Matilde Tracker3
  /..

mimo's MidiGen, mimo's MidiGen
 MT Algo, MT Algo
 MT Algo.GUI, MT Algo.GUI
As you can see, mimo's MidiGen gets clobbered in this instance.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

What the heck?!? That's really just very wrong. Something is odd there.

Maybe try bringing out the big guns: First back up your entire buzz folder. Then deinstall, delete the buzz folder, clean the buzz section of the registry, isntall a fresh one and see if that helps. Then restore the backup on top (but don't overwrite existing files).

Another test if that doesn't work: Try a different computer? Then apply the backup to that and see if the problems happens there.

PS:
Yeah, dropbox isn't doing so well lately. Their code has become as over-complicated as onedrive, and that's not a good thing. They should revert 5 years back or so. Make dropbox great again!
IXix

Post by IXix »

Joachip wrote:What the heck?!?...
Thanks, I'll try your suggestions and see what happens. I'm glad you agree that it's weird. :)
polac

Post by polac »

Is there an old pvsti version(better said an old machines.dll) in your folder? The old versions for oldbuzz do hack separators at least to the vst menus.
IXix

Post by IXix »

polac wrote:Is there an old pvsti version(better said an old machines.dll) in your folder? The old versions for oldbuzz do hack separators at least to the vst menus.
No, I think I'm all up to date with PVST (which is an astounding piece of work by the way) and besides, the bug affects the rest of the index far more than it does the PVST generated stuff so it's a Buzz thing. Hopefully Joachip's suggestion will fix it. I'm about to try it now...
IXix

Post by IXix »

Hmmm. Fresh Buzz, nothing added except my index.txt, bug still persists. Time to try other computers...
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

IXix wrote:Hmmm. Fresh Buzz, nothing added except my index.txt, bug still persists. Time to try other computers...
I have the same problem with my Buzz with 1 of two computers.

I have Buzz 1503(x86) .With one computer works fine (Win 7 Professional SP1),but when I start the same Buzz 1503 with another computer(Win 7 Ultimate) ,with same index .txt, that separators are where they shouldn't be.
I tried copy that index to gear folder on that another PC, but nothing helps.I didn't try auto indexer tool from Joachip.
I think,this is not index txt file problem. Edit: Or ,is it ???
Sometimes when I open Buzz again,separators are on right place.Sometimes I have hidden some machines... YES,That it's weird.

Did you solve this problem about that separators ?

As on the right picture for example you can see,there is missing box : 'Unsorted' :?
Attachments
good -  wrong.png
good - wrong.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 8440 times
Last edited by temporalsounds on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

No, I never found a solution. I had a look at the code but life got in the way. :(
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

Ah, OK never mind. ;)
Thank you so much for quick response,even thought !