oskari
Site Admin

Re: Can we draw automations?

Post by oskari »

It should be pretty easy to do.
Joachip

Possible way to design this

Post by Joachip »

Something like this would be awesome for those long automations. Editing tick per tick isn't always desirable. The orange and blue lines automate two different parameters on the "drums" machine. The green line automates a paremeter on a VST plug-in using polac VST. There would also have to be some way to choose which parameter(s) to automate.

mes

Re: Possible way to design this

Post by mes »

Joachip wrote:Something like this would be awesome for those long automations. Editing tick per tick isn't always desirable. The orange and blue lines automate two different parameters on the "drums" machine. The green line automates a paremeter on a VST plug-in using polac VST. There would also have to be some way to choose which parameter(s) to automate.

This looks pretty good, I would really like to have this kind of automation in the patterns also ...maybe an option to switch between the ctrl+g and this style of automation. Snap to grid and being able to manually type in a value for each node would be nice also.
Melancolly

Post by Melancolly »

That would be great, but it is especially important work with automation, such as copying, rotated 180 degrees, so that everything lives easier
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

resizeable automation columns for a machine would be great. or a seperate window on the right side.

imagine you could color-code each machine in the MachineView which will also be reflected also by the machine header in the SequencerView.
(that new color parameter could be used in a theme to display a colored frame or whatever you want around the machine)

an additional checkbox in the sequencer view could enable a automation column with the same header color.
in that column header we could use a comboxbox to choose which parameter to edit.
the column itself displays the actual automation pattern.(00...) and the graph.
if you then click points (subtick depeding) in the sequencer /automation column, the pattern length would increase automatically when clicking outside pattern length. but only until you click in another pattern.
it would also be cool to click and rezise automation pattern lengths (or invert and mirror...).
Joachip

Re: Possible way to design this

Post by Joachip »

mes wrote: ...maybe an option to switch between the ctrl+g and this style of automation.
This is on the F4 page (song overview), not inside the pattern editor.
mes

Post by mes »

right...that's why I said in the previous sentence that it would be nice to have this kind of automation in the patterns (xp) also. so we can line up the automation with note events...it would be an improvement over the current ctrl+g automation.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Ohh, right. Gotta wipe the french paté off my glasses here... 8-)

I must say that the long automations in the song overview is what I need the most. Especially when doing long ambient stuff where things filter up and down all the time over very long time spans, typically covering many patterns.
Xaphoid

Post by Xaphoid »

vaisnava wrote:Yes it would be nice on the sequencer... not the pattern. ;) Lines, nodes, curves, etc.

that could potentially be very complicated with short patterns.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

how about a <CTRL> + MouseWheel Up/Down to zoom in/out in the sequenceeditor.
(who wants tom implement it? :))
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

strobotone wrote:how about a <CTRL> + MouseWheel Up/Down to zoom in/out in the sequenceeditor.
(who wants tom implement it? :))
I'm not a developer...and I don't have mouse-wheel. Just saying.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

however. when we had that graphical automation and short patterns, we were still able to use the Step combobox to zoom in/out.
mes

Post by mes »

bump! please let's keep this topic going =)

drawing automation is probably the biggest feature request I could possibly think of...if this happens you'll never hear another complaint from me about anything. lol
double07

Post by double07 »

mes wrote:bump! please let's keep this topic going =)

drawing automation is probably the biggest feature request I could possibly think of...if this happens you'll never hear another complaint from me about anything. lol
I agree, visual automation in patterns and sequencers would make buzz near perfect for me.

Edit: How about we put our money where our mouth is... I'll donate another EU$50 for this feature :D
flat

Post by flat »

Would it be a feasible improvement to the Sequence View the option to display only horizontally expandable Generators columns?
By clicking in the column/Generator name it would expand in as many columns as machines in its Effects chain; by clicking it again they would collapse in one Generator column.

Another neat feature for the (so far fictional) visual parameter automation in the Sequence View would be the possibility to display in a Generator column any parameter curve of any machine in the respective Effects chain.
Thus, that duplicated parameter curve would be synchronized, controllable both from its own Effect column and from the Generator column.
(visibility and lock ability would be essential curve display options for that plot, as well as colors and labeling)
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

cntrl-g..how did i miss this.. :oops: does this work for all the columns ?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

syphilissauna wrote:cntrl-g..how did i miss this.. :oops: does this work for all the columns ?
of course
Dean

Post by Dean »

I'm surprised to see so many replies in this thread without the mention of PeerADSR,
why nobody knows of this machine? it should be exactly what you're looking for.

http://buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=699

You can store as many as 200 custom envelopes in it. so no need to worry about limits.
Default pattern max length is 16 ticks but you can set it up to 4096 ticks!

Only downside is you can't make curvy envelopes without adding a lot of points (but you can
remove the "snap to" to place dots whereever you want, and/or set grid size to adjust snapping area)

cheers!
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Dean wrote:I'm surprised to see so many replies in this thread without the mention of PeerADSR,

You can store as many as 200 custom envelopes in it. so no need to worry about limits.

Only downside is you can't make curvy envelopes without adding a lot of points (but you can
remove the "snap to" to place dots whereever you want, and/or set grid size to adjust snapping area)

cheers!

what people usually mean is bezier curves, not point-by-point envelopes with linear interpolation.
Dean

Post by Dean »

UNZ wrote:
Dean wrote:I'm surprised to see so many replies in this thread without the mention of PeerADSR,

cheers!

what people usually mean is bezier curves, not point-by-point envelopes.
I thought op simply requested a visual "adsr" type envelope, and I didn't see any curvy solutions in the other posts.
peercontrols are limited to transmit data one tick at a time, so full resolution-curve via peer isn't an option to go by anyway
(thus it makes sense to put points in the grid of peeradsr, cause that's what you'll output anyway),
anyway, maybe the request was for a host-function, and then of course I know nothing about that :)