New Pattern Editor - Rows Per Beat

Future Genetics

New Pattern Editor - Rows Per Beat

Post by Future Genetics »

Is there a way to set rows per beat in the new pattern editor yet?
oskari
Site Admin

Re: New Pattern Editor - Rows Per Beat

Post by oskari »

Ctrl+number but it's not in the current build. Each column/beat can have a different RPB value in the new editor.

mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

:lol:
Dean

Post by Dean »

very interesting, are these labels a way to try to attract the "common folks"?
As most buzzers must be already used to not seeing these labels, acting on instinct to survive in a world of digits...
As long as us folks from past can hide them, it's good.

I remember reading on buzzchurch (this was a long time ago, but I think it concerns this new pattern editor) that the new pattern editor would also support future triggers to change the past (a kind of "inverted delay" command).
Honestly, I don't remember how it was described, but there was going to be a way to put triggers into a pattern which trigger ahead the actual trigger (am I right)?

I also would like to propose that the TPB or BPM (not RPB) of a track can be recalled and changed independently in each track through a(n optional) pxp column (which will
overrun the main global BPM setting, if used), as this makes it much easier to do "swing"-type grooves.
I understand that now the speed of columns are the same, just different time signatures (slices of time to put trigger into),
but I hope what I suggest is not an impossible task.
Sometimes as of current buzz, I wish there was a way to use different RPB "per 4 ticks" or something (also a way to do swing arrangements),
maybe this desire can make you understand what I write more.
Last edited by Dean on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Future Genetics

Awesome. I think that and a ctrl+g graphic slider type option are probably the only things holding me back from switching over from pxp at this point. All in all it's coming along nicely though.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

You understand this is very much related to ctrl+g of course.
Future Genetics

oskari wrote:You understand this is very much related to ctrl+g of course.
Hmm, I guess no, I don't really understand from a technical standpoint why the 2 are related. I just know I like using the ctrl+g feature in pxp to draw volume and filter envelopes. If you've got something even trickier up your sleeve to replace that function, I'd be really excited to see that.
Future Genetics

Future Genetics wrote:
oskari wrote:You understand this is very much related to ctrl+g of course.
Hmm, I guess no, I don't really understand from a technical standpoint why the 2 are related. I just know I like using the ctrl+g feature in pxp to draw volume and filter envelopes. If you've got something even trickier up your sleeve to replace that function, I'd be really excited to see that.
Unless you just mean the ability to have higher fidelity "slides" by increasing the row count.
ekral

Post by ekral »

the new pattern editor (and new dark theme) looks incredible good :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

Future Genetics wrote:Unless you just mean the ability to have higher fidelity "slides" by increasing the row count.
That's what he means. Smoother curves for ctrl+g when it comes :)
ekral

Post by ekral »

The new Pattern Editors (and new dark theme) looks just incredible good. Is there any chance to have a envelope column (something like in buzé). It could be nice for fast (and long) interpolation.

Image = Image=Image

This would be per-pattern, I reckon. I wonder how much trouble it would be to have curves like that across many patterns instead on the song composition view (the one you get by pressing F4) ... like this?
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

Yes, the plan is to support at least straight lines and quadratic Bezier curves.
IXix

Post by IXix »

oskari wrote:Yes, the plan is to support at least straight lines and quadratic Bezier curves.
:shock: I'm so happy I could cry.
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

oskari wrote:Yes, the plan is to support at least straight lines and quadratic Bezier curves.
Is this, without me knowing, implemented or still on the ToDo list?
AndersBrontosaurus

Bump?
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

The new Pattern Editors (and new dark theme) looks just incredible good. Is there any chance to have a envelope column (something like in buzé). It could be nice for fast (and long) interpolation.

Image = Image=Image

This would be per-pattern, I reckon. I wonder how much trouble it would be to have curves like that across many patterns instead on the song composition view (the one you get by pressing F4) ... like this? I think this would be far more useful, especially for working with longer song build-ups.

Think of ambient songs... or slow filter movements across a long trance sort which would typically 16 tick patterns, but automations spanning over several minutes.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Joachip wrote:Think of ambient songs... or slow filter movements across a long trance sort which would typically 16 tick patterns, but automations spanning over several minutes.
That's actually been one of the major workflow improvements for me since making the 'switch' to Ableton - Being able to create automation curves over the whole song structure but not having to create loads and loads of 1000+ tick patterns to do so has just been a great revelation. As I mainly do ambient/drone stuff that's made life soooo much easier !
AndersBrontosaurus

This has gone very off topic. I'll bump another thread that is more related.
Or use the link provided by Joachip above.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222
AndersBrontosaurus

I fail to get the different RPB-thingie.
How is it done?
magmavander

Post by magmavander »

Of course in the pattern view (built-in or PatternXP) you have first to make ctrl+Q.
Click on the column in the beat you want to change (here I clicked on note columns at the first of the four beat but you can click on any column you want) see picture "RPB Change 00.jpg".
Then use ctrl + number (keyboard-shortcut.jpg) to choose the new number of rows per beat see picture RPB Change 01.jpg.
That it ;)
Attachments
keyboard-shortcut.jpg
keyboard-shortcut.jpg (71.67 KiB) Viewed 11510 times
RPB Change 00.jpg
RPB Change 00.jpg (92.49 KiB) Viewed 11510 times
RPB Change 01.jpg
RPB Change 01.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 11510 times