Gear.xml Settings for old machines

mantratronic

Gear.xml Settings for old machines

Post by mantratronic »

Quite a few old machines are incompatible with the new multithreading feature and we built up a small list on BC to let everyone know which they are. To stop a machine using multithreading, you need to edit the gear.xml that can be found in jeskola\buzz\gear. The instructions are in the file, and below is my version.

CONFIRMED

Code: Select all

<Machine Name="Rymix*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Rout*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Geonik*" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Automaton EQ-7" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="BTDSys Pulsar" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="ld auxreturn" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Fuzzpilz Otter" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Fuzzpilz UnwieldyTracker" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="BTDSys SampleGrid*" Multithreading="False"/> 
QUESTIONABLE

Code: Select all

<Machine Name="kibibu Simple Gain" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="FireSledge ParamEQ" Multithreading="False"/>
This thread may be heavily moderated and changed, so if your post goes missing dont sweat it. If you find another machine that has problems, please let us all know!
mute

Re: Multithreading blacklist

Post by mute »

Nice. Been needing to do this myself for awhile.

Geonik 2p - typical, glitched output when more than one source connected
Automaton EQ7 - typical, glitched output when more than one source connected

I know more, but I'll just add em as I come across them. If ppl add to this list, I'd suggest they give a simple two-three word why.

Btw, I use Simple Gain with multithreading a TON (i use all of "kibibu's stereo tools" routinely).. it doesnt have any problems (?)

Can we use wildcards in the machine name like you did for Rymix? That works? If so, I would do Rout*, Geonik*, etc. (pre buzz1.2 stuff). Most (not all) the issues seem to resolve around the input mixing method used...which will mostly affect older machines. A comprehensive list, with some reasons why.. would be very beneficial. Great thread.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

I took some from the old BC thread, so how about I put a questionable code block with unconfirmed problems? Joa is saying paramEQ is fine as well..
mute

Post by mute »

Yeah that's cool.., dont need my permission.. I was just making a suggestion. We can debate the validity of the stuff later..
mcbpete

Re: Gear.xml Settings for old machines

Post by mcbpete »

Can anyone else confirm this:

Matilde Tracker 2 (more specifically 1.9rc7) -> FSM Philthy -> Jeskola Raverb -> Master

Try then connecting a second Matilde Tracker 2 into the Philthy and the sound should go all crunchy (example bmx - http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/buzz_m ... eading.bmx - hit play and as it's playing attach the second Matilde to the Philthy)

Solved by -
<Machine Name="Matilde Tracker2" Multithreading="False"/>

EDIT: Actually it seems to affect v1 as well so I guess - <Machine Name="Matilde*" Multithreading="False"/>

Is it also possible to make individual VSTi's to permanently not use multithreading via gear.xml (I know about the 'shift' track as a temporary solution). I've got one that locks midi notes to a specific scale and when using peer machines to talk to it, and that midi VSTi to talk to another VSTi it just gives up - but if multithreading is globally disabled it works fine.

EDIT: Yes there is Pete - right click on the VST/i go to Preferences -> name of vst tab -> Untick Multithreading. Cool thanks Pete ! :lol:
thOke

Post by thOke »

mcbpete wrote:Can anyone else confirm this:

Matilde Tracker 2 (more specifically 1.9rc7) -> FSM Philthy -> Jeskola Raverb -> Master

Try then connecting a second Matilde Tracker 2 into the Philthy and the sound should go all crunchy (example bmx - http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/buzz_m ... eading.bmx - hit play and as it's playing attach the second Matilde to the Philthy)

Solved by -
<Machine Name="Matilde Tracker2" Multithreading="False"/>

EDIT: Actually it seems to affect v1 as well so I guess - <Machine Name="Matilde*" Multithreading="False"/>
this file bursts immediately after loading ... no Matilde anywhere ... even without pressing play. i had multithreading disabled globally.
i guess it's rather the effect combination that is responsible for this.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Weird, I don't get a burst just a crackly/robot-y noise when the second Matilde is connected. What happens if you manually create the chain - Matilde Tracker 1.9rc7 (aka Matilde Tracker 2) -> FSM Philthy -> Jeskola Raverb -> Master

and then connect a second MTrk 2 to the Philthy? - another burst ?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

my guess is also that this has more to do with philthy or raverb rather than matilde... try disable multithreading for those instead
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Originally I did - first the philthy then raverb, then both (I first posted those being at fault before editing, then re-editing, then re-re-editing ! ) as I also thought that those were more likely to be the fault. But it wasn't until I disabled multithreading on Matilde that the problem went when creating that chain.
thOke

Post by thOke »

mcbpete wrote:Weird, I don't get a burst just a crackly/robot-y noise when the second Matilde is connected. What happens if you manually create the chain - Matilde Tracker 1.9rc7 (aka Matilde Tracker 2) -> FSM Philthy -> Jeskola Raverb -> Master

and then connect a second MTrk 2 to the Philthy? - another burst ?
this combination works free of bursts here ... i can add as many Matildes as i want.
i am using matilde 1.9rc8 though ( http://www.batman.no/buze/beta/Matilde% ... 1.9rc8.zip )
What's new in v1.9 rc8?
(v1.9 rc8 changes by Calvin)
Fixed crash with command 18 (delay and cut).
... but in your initial example bmx the combination was psikraft (stereo) - > philthy -> j-flanger -> halyverb ?!
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Crap, sorry man I uploaded the wrong bmx last night - that one was meant for this post: viewtopic.php?p=2970#p2970 (glad you also confirm a noise burst, as that was the reason for the upload - in that topic anyway !)
thOke

Post by thOke »

mcbpete wrote:Crap, sorry man I uploaded the wrong bmx last night - that one was meant for this post: viewtopic.php?p=2970#p2970 (glad you also confirm a noise burst, as that was the reason for the upload - in that topic anyway !)
oh .. i guess i mixed them up ... anyway

yes, confirmed ... no noiseburst with multithreading disabled globally, but when i enable it, the sound gets messed up when i connect the second matilde
to philthy. i wouldn't call it noise burst though. it's rather a strange click-n-pop noise that replaces the original sound. when i delete raverb from the chain,
the original sound reappears and the clicking is gone.

so i thought raverb has the multithreading issue. but adding
<Machine Name="Jeskola Raverbdll" Multithreading="False"/>
<Machine Name="Jeskola Raverbdll (Stereo)" Multithreading="False"/>
to the gear.xml made no difference ... the clicking still appeared when i connected the 2nd MAtilde to philthy ?!?
Last edited by thOke on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Cool, cheers for confirming man - the nearest I'd describe it as is being a buffer underrun, like the samples are struggling to get there quite in time so you get this metallic sound.

Edit - looks like you went through exactly the deduction process I went through last night :D Try disabling the multithreading just for Matilde*, it should now work fine and you can connect the second matilde to philthy.
Last edited by mcbpete on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thOke

Post by thOke »

just like you said ... same results here 8-)
happens also with matilde 3
mute

Post by mute »

odd... doesn't happen here ever, and mtrk and philthy are my 2 most used machines. what you're talking about is far from a noise burst, but screwed up processing that happens when you connect multiple generators to a effect that can't handle multiprocessing.. a perfect example of this would be automaton eq-7, but most people have that disabled already in gear.xml i think.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Is this possibly related to this issue that Joachip raised - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=997
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

mcbpete wrote:Is this possibly related to this issue that Joachip raised - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=997
no
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

I don't have a gear.xml for some reason (although it does not seem to stop Buzz from working). Can someone attach theirs?
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

Jacinth seems to have problems with multithreading. The sound gets bad when its on.