Typing machine menu position bug (erm, feature !)

mcbpete

Typing machine menu position bug (erm, feature !)

Post by mcbpete »

I'm not sure quite if it's my graphics card (NVIDEA GeForce 540M) but I've noticed a strange phenomenon that I really don't remember happening on my old laptop -

The distance (both X & Y) from the mouse pointer to the text box (the one that appears when you type on the Machine View) seems to change depending on the position of your pointer on the screen.

i.e. if I have the pointer right at the top-centre of the machine view space (just below the mute button) the box will appear just below the mouse pointer (where I believe it should be):

However if I move the mouse further to the right and down from that position, and then start typing, the menu text is quite a distance away from the mouse pointer and is mostly offscreen:

Likewise positioning the pointer to the left will start to increase distance from the menu to the cursor more and more, this time to the left -

I've tried different resolutions and a variety of builds from 1440 to 1463 but the same thing happens.... Is this an intentional feature and for some reason on my machine the distance from the two things are growing by an incorrect ratio ?

Cheers,
Pete.
IXix

Re: Typing machine menu position bug (erm, feature !)

Post by IXix »

Doesn't do that here. The text box pops up centred on my mouse cursor.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah and I believe it rendered it correctly on my old machine too. So the question is - why on earth on this (pretty much completely) fresh Win7 64-bit build (though 32bit version of Buzz), is it going wonky - and just with this menu box :?
ags

Post by ags »

Are you using "theming shit" on both installs? :ugeek:
I notice your taskbar is not usual w7
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

ags wrote:I notice your taskbar is not usual w7
Erm, yes it is ?! No custom theming whatsoever

(I have an application dock at the bottom if that's what you mean ?)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

does it behave the same when you use a custom buzz theme. (which uses a custom quicknewmachinewindow) ?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Ooh, have you got an example of one so I can try when I get home from work ?
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

seems to be related to your machine only. screen dpi maybe ?
so the theme probably wont help : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=217
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Found out the source of the problem / bug - because the resolution of my screen is so high (1920 x 1080 - the recommended resolution according to my graphics card) the text is a little too small for my vision so I put the text size of my screen to 125% (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display > Medium - 125%). When set at 125% I get the above display issue where the distance from the mouse pointer to text box increases depending on the XY position of the mouse, but when set at Small (100% default) it displays in the middle every time.

Was tipped off by strobotone's dpi comment which led to this place (getting the screen dpi from .net) - http://www.davidthielen.info/programmin ... _dpi_.html (the site worked a few hours ago but at the time of posting gives a 404, it may well work in a few hours again)
Last edited by mcbpete on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

glad i could help :)
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

BTW Quick question to theme developers on post 1454 builds - I don't seem to be able to theme the right click menu as I could before, it just seems to ignore the xaml and just use the default one. I get no errors when running it, so think I've updated what needs updating (as in the note on 1454: "theming improvements (old themes need some changes)") and everything works including full-screen support, just not the right click menu.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Aha, looks like Build 1501 has finally sorted this 3 year old bug/quirk. Nice :)