freezer - wde i think?

commadore65

freezer - wde i think?

Post by commadore65 »

Any good? And does it work in newest buzz builds? I'm working on a track at the moment that is skipping when I play it.. Rarely have such a prob (because I have a reasonably fast pc and only use buzz, not commercial daws). However on this occasion it could be useful.. link for a d/l needed too.
wde

Re: freezer - wde i think?

Post by wde »

I don't think it works with the latest Buzz. I could create a new version if there is really need for it.
commadore65

Post by commadore65 »

No worries for my benefit :P There are work arounds.. Just thought that it could be good in this case so was checking.
thOke

Post by thOke »

wde wrote:I don't think it works with the latest Buzz. I could create a new version if there is really need for it.
jeskola loop recorder only streams to disk and btdsys audio track exports to wavetable, but not immediately.
cng recorder stopped working with the latest builds (after 1453)
so a machine that puts a stream into the wavetable, that can be replayed (almost directly) with a tracker would be cool.
wde

Post by wde »

Please test: Freezer 2 beta
thOke

Post by thOke »

wde wrote:Please test: Freezer 2 beta
Cool, thx !!

THROUGH and RECORD modes are working alright, PLAY mode does not play back the wave in the wavetable ... it actually mutes the incoming audio. (Buzz Bld 1466)
Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??
wde

Post by wde »

thOke wrote: THROUGH and RECORD modes are working alright, PLAY mode does not play back the wave in the wavetable ... it actually mutes the incoming audio. (Buzz Bld 1466)
The main taks for "freezing" feature in any sequencer is to record and playback an audio path so that either CPU resources can be freed or maybe live performance can be temporarily saved. This is also what freezer 2 plugin does. You can use it for example like this:

1. Add freezer machine after a heavy chain of generators and effects
2. Disable song loop
3. Set freezer to record mode
4. Play the song

When the song stops, freezer goes automatically in to play mode muting all inputs. If you play the song again, the sound comes actually from freezer plugin and not from effects or generatos that pipe audio through freezer. If you check CPU Monitor in Buzz, you can see that machines linked to freezer produces almost zero load to CPU.

The audio stream is saved "inside" freezer (but not saved in bmx/song files), and if you want to use that wave data somewhere else, you can use the copy feature.
thOke wrote: Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??
This is basically out of scope for freezer, but I added AutoCopy feature to do that after recording stops. The machine itself is fairly simple and after some cleanup work, I'll publish the source code in case someone wants to create a machine more designed for audio recording.
Freezer 2 beta updated, fixes and new features

Bonus machine:
Webbi
wde

Post by wde »

Try this: EasyRec

1. Select slot
2. Put on record mode
3. Play song

When stopped, the audio from input should be found in the wavetable.
thOke

Post by thOke »

wde wrote:
1. Add freezer machine after a heavy chain of generators and effects
2. Disable song loop
3. Set freezer to record mode
4. Play the song

When the song stops, freezer goes automatically in to play mode muting all inputs. If you play the song again, the sound comes actually from freezer plugin and not from effects or generatos that pipe audio through freezer. If you check CPU Monitor in Buzz, you can see that machines linked to freezer produces almost zero load to CPU.

The audio stream is saved "inside" freezer (but not saved in bmx/song files), and if you want to use that wave data somewhere else, you can use the copy feature.
Yes, that works, but freezer2 seems to cut the last tick when it plays back the recorded audio, so there is a gap at the end of the loop.
wde wrote:
thOke wrote: Would it be possible to copy the recording automatically into the assigned wavetable slot - without pushing the button first ??
This is basically out of scope for freezer, but I added AutoCopy feature to do that after recording stops.
That's nice, but the recorded wave seems to be incomplete. It seems to cut a small part at the beginning and a tick at the end of the recorded loop.
wde wrote: Bonus machine:
Webbi
hm ... not a 'must have', but nice :ugeek:
wde wrote: Try this: EasyRec

1. Select slot
2. Put on record mode
3. Play song

When stopped, the audio from input should be found in the wavetable.
Yes, this is basically all i need, but there also seems to be a small cut at the beginning and the end of the recording.
The other issue i have is that i can't replay the recorded wave with a tracker at the next tick after finishing the recording, which was possible with CNG Recorder. With EasyRec there has to be one tick delay before the wave can be replayed.

If that could be fixed, the machine would be perfect for me.

Kazuya once made a gapless freezer machine, that still works in recent buzz builds and immediately replays the recorded sequence, but it does not copy the recording to the wavetable.
Kazuya_3_Freeze_beta5.zip
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Thanks for your efforts !!
wde

Post by wde »

Ok, I can see what you mean. There seems to be some random samples coming from audio input right after song play is pressed. Seems to happen with certain effects that are in the machine chain.
wde

Post by wde »

Update and sources.

Freezer 2
+ Crash fix

EasyRec
+ More precise recording

EasyRec
EasyRec sources

Freezer 2
Freezer 2 sources
thOke

Post by thOke »

Thank you for the updates !

EasyRec
recording is definitely more precise, but still not 100% ...

Why is the recorded wave - after being copied to the wavetable - much longer than the recorded pattern ?
What purpose has this silence added after the actual recording?

If you place a pattern with a stop command in the sequence editor, Buzz shortly stutters at that position ...
and it's still not possible to record and playback without a gap.

So i can't record, for example, a pattern of 16 ticks to a wavetable slot and playback that wave from the next
following tick with a tracker, which used to be possible with old CNG recorder.

Sorry for my clueless nagging. I think Freezer 2 works like intended. ;)
wde

Post by wde »

The silence at the end of the wave is related how the reserved buffer size is reallocated. To minimize memory fragmentation, memory buffer size is extended always by about 4 seconds when buffer runs out. Not sure if this is really a problem with latest Vista/Win7 platforms. I could try to calculate the recorded length when recording is ended, but I need to left something for the person who implements EasyRec 2 ;)

Stuttering when recording ends happens because the recorded memory buffer is copied to wavetable - and that takes some time. EasyRec is a spinoff example from Freezer 2 and its architecture is not suited that well for "live" use. For that the recorded audio should be streamed constantly to wavetable. Shouldn't be a big task if someone wants to create live version of the plugin.
thOke

Post by thOke »

Alright, i think i understand that. The silence at the end is not a problem.
Nevertheless now i hope someone capable is inspired by the idea of 'EasyRec2 - Live'. 8-) :)

Thx !
sparschaeler

Post by sparschaeler »

easyrec just seems to be what I'm looking for. however, it only records an empty file.

I basically just load easyrec, set the wavetable slot, play the loop, open the file from wavetable, silence.

Any help? thx :)
wde

Post by wde »

sparschaeler wrote:easyrec just seems to be what I'm looking for. however, it only records an empty file.

I basically just load easyrec, set the wavetable slot, play the loop, open the file from wavetable, silence.

Any help? thx :)
It is an effect so make sure audio goes through it. In parameter UI change "Mode" to "Record", then play the song.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote:Update and sources.

Freezer 2
+ Crash fix

EasyRec
+ More precise recording

EasyRec
EasyRec sources

Freezer 2
Freezer 2 sources
Any chance these could be uploaded again? The links are dead. :(
wde

Post by wde »

Sure thing. Easy rec:
EasyRec.zip
(6.55 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
EasyRec_src.zip
(6.43 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
Last edited by wde on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
wde

Post by wde »

Freezer 2:
Freezer 2.zip
(7.74 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Freezer2_src.zip
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
Last edited by wde on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Much obliged! :dance: