good bmx files to learn from?

mrtunes

good bmx files to learn from?

Post by mrtunes »

just getting back to this program. back in the day i was never that good at things like the tracker effects in matilde.

i'm wondering if there are any good bmx files to look at and analyze for some techniques? sort of looking for breakcore tricks mostly.
mantratronic

Re: good bmx files to learn from?

Post by mantratronic »

I'd recommend www.buzztunes.org for that, magvander's bmx's are great to learn from, but he doesnt do breakcore afaik.
mrtunes

Post by mrtunes »

thank you. i wasn't sure what was good to work off from buzztunes, and a bunch of the ones that i downloaded wouldnt open. i thought my buzzmachines pack of 600 would be sufficient! i guess not hehe.

will look for magvander's stuff. does anyone remember canc3r?
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

mrtunes wrote:does anyone remember canc3r?
Oh, yes! Great! *Mp3.com flashback*.

I remember the talented KiNK had a few great bmx'es out there, including the one to "daddy acid". Maybe they are still out there/uploaded (I have them on my hd anyways).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsRBpJ4qs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syuy4iKgVuw (enable subtitles if they are off)
mrtunes

Post by mrtunes »

oh wow i had no clue KiNK was a buzz user! he is one of the best names in house right now. amazing performer too.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

Evelon wrote:I remember the talented KiNK had a few great bmx'es out there, including the one to "daddy acid". Maybe they are still out there/uploaded (I have them on my hd anyways).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsRBpJ4qs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syuy4iKgVuw (enable subtitles if they are off)
this video is great! i went back to the bit where he introduces buzz http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFazaUrokFU&t=6m46s
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

I'm glad this video was brought up. Once i figured out he was using Utrk i decided to finally give it a shot. It kind of blew me away. I didnt know you could use it to route slices of the sample through different effects! that put it in the bag for me. I'll be using this instead of samplegrid and samplegrid out for a while to see what it can do. the readme isnt very informative for someone with little tracker experience, but this tutorial helped a lot:

http://www.ofrecordings.com/2008/04/09/ ... r/#more-69

now that utrk has been updated to native io, you obviously don't need the polac outs, but i'm a little confused about the signal routing. I tried to run channel 1 to a delay and channel 0 to a compressor, but i was unable to get either effect to work:

is there something i'm missing here? how can i route the slice i want to the effect i intend to use with it?

also, does anyone have an explanation of the two "effect command/effect parameter" columns?

edit: i love how he mentions using only one loop and a small number of synthesizers in his workflow. i find that i usually get hung up wanting to hear a sound, and before i know it i've been on the internet for a fucking hour trying to find some sample or vst that will give me the sound i want - and i've gotten nowhere on my track. I've been trying to force myself to work within these sorts of limitations and make the sounds i want out of what i have instead of searching aimlessly for sounds that may not exist. I've gotten a lot more done this way lol.
thOke

Post by thOke »

unwieldytracker clvnmix

changes from the original utrk sources:

apr 2009: something to do with being able to show the "about" box without crashing or hanging

nov 2011: fixed clicks in the 24 bit stereo sample interpolator (thx to ld0d)

feb 2012: removed polac out support, implemented native multi io (utrk2)
16 stereo output channels are always available. all tracks send their output to the first channel by default.
use effect "78 000n", where n = 0..F to select an output channel for that track

mar 2012: stability fixes for effect 78 and midi notes: moved gui code out of the audio thread
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thanks! guess I totally spaced out while I was reading that. is there any other use for those parameters?
thOke

Post by thOke »

right click on unwieldy tracker ... in the 'About' window all effect parameters are explained.
... or what do you mean ?
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

szaszhareen wrote:also, does anyone have an explanation of the two "effect command/effect parameter" columns?
I've got this one .... It means you can have two different uTrk effects going at the same time :D
ags

Post by ags »

Well it means you can trigger or alter 2 effects at the same time.
Some effects will affect the sound until they get switched off again. (and there's reset commands incase you lose track of your effect madness.)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thOke wrote:right click on unwieldy tracker ... in the 'About' window all effect parameters are explained.
... or what do you mean ?
thx for pointing this out. much easier to rtfm when u know where to find it!
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

even after reading the about box i'm still a little lost on this machine. i tried using effect command 03 to change the pitch (by transposing) of the sample with the effect parameter set to various values like 0800, 8000, 0088, etc, to no effect. sometimes the sample would just randomly not play. I was trying to follow along with what he was doing in the video, but it looks like he's using an older version of utrk so i'm not sure if things have changed with this machine as i'm using the latest version.

anyone have any suggestions, or an example bmx to check out?
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

szaszhareen wrote:even after reading the about box i'm still a little lost on this machine. i tried using effect command 03 to change the pitch (by transposing) of the sample with the effect parameter set to various values like 0800, 8000, 0088, etc, to no effect. sometimes the sample would just randomly not play. I was trying to follow along with what he was doing in the video, but it looks like he's using an older version of utrk so i'm not sure if things have changed with this machine as i'm using the latest version.

anyone have any suggestions, or an example bmx to check out?
for 03, try to stay "around" 8000, meaning for example 7B00 and 8200.
8000 is "in the middle", so if you go above it it will pitch up on every retrigger. Go below it and it will pitch down on every retrigger.
You can hold Shift and click/hold - or + (numpad) to step down/up the value.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thanks for the tip, i definitely notice a difference using the values you mentioned. now that i know 8000 is the mid range i'll be able to tweak the effects properly. the descriptions in the about box are a bit out there for someone without an intimate experience with trackers, and though i understand hex notation, sometimes the explanation of these things goes a bit over my head. i appreciate the simple solution you've proposed! :geek:
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

I don't know if you'll be able to open this - I can't (might be a New Buzz/Old Buzz thing, or just dodgy machines) - but have a look here anyway:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1u57zmygdcn2u0h/385bEWL-EZ

The 'gnocelot' folder contains a BMX that I used to get started on the tracker butchery. It's a good intro to Unwieldy Tracker. I guess it will open in Old Buzz. There's an MP3 of the track too. I really like it; there's a kind of Squarepusher vibe to it. This is from the buzzmusic.wipe-records.org days . . .
bursad

Post by bursad »

I remember the talented KiNK had a few great bmx'es out there, including the one to "daddy acid". Maybe they are still out there/uploaded (I have them on my hd anyways).
@Evelon

if you had this bmx kicking around, it would be nice to see it, even if it has issues with the latest builds

if nothing else, just to see the combination of commands and the values he uses, would be nice as a rough guide to certain familiar afx-type effects he can make utrk do (apart form what he shows in the videos)
thOke

Post by thOke »

mrtunes wrote:just getting back to this program. back in the day i was never that good at things like the tracker effects in matilde.

i'm wondering if there are any good bmx files to look at and analyze for some techniques? sort of looking for breakcore tricks mostly.
http://www.buzzmachines.com/reviews.php?type=tutorial