the new awesome pattern editor has some bugs

Shock0Late

the new awesome pattern editor has some bugs

Post by Shock0Late »

hi

i know buzz now since many years and i use it from time to time just for fun
i am not doing a lot with it but i have a lot of fun with it
so first just let me say many thanks to all of you :D

now i have installed a new version of buzz, in the fancy about window it says some thing about 1.2 and 1495 i guess it means the 32bit version

i found the new pattern editor that magicaly apears when i press ctrl+q in the normal pattern editor :D
now i found some curiousities which you (who ever is able to do it) may can fix if you have some time ;)

i make a new project
i move to the pattern editor and press ctrl+q to get into the awesome mode
i add pattern to the master track with 4 beats and place the cursor at the last row
i add a do-nothing generator and conect it to the master (just for show) and rename it to X
i add a do-Nothing pattern in the awesome pattern mode and shrink it down to 1 beat

now the cursor keeps blinking somewhere in the background of nothing
i think the cursor should jump at least back to the last row of the one and only beat
more disturbing is the error popup that appears when i place the cursor with the mouse to some row in this empty do nothing pattern

a other thing is the track selection drop down menu
i did rename the do-nothing generator to X
when the pattern of X is open the track drop down menu still says X
but then if i open the menu the X generator is displayed as do-nothing and not as i named it
i think if i rename a generator to X and if i open the pattern of this X generator the track selection drop down menu should display X too and not do-nothing else what would be the point in renaming stuff

what totaly miss is a way to rename patterns in the new awesome pattern mode
i have to switch into the traditonal pattern view and there i can open the right click menu and edit the pattern setings as name and lengh
then i can switch back into the awesome view and the renamed pattern appears
i think the right click menu in the awesome mode (ctrl + Q) should also contain a entry for the pattern settings and a handy way to rename patterns quickly

a other strange curiousity appears between the traditional and the awesome pattern view
i am in the awesome mode and make a new pattern for the master track and enter some random values to the pattern
now i switch back into the traditional mode with ctrl+g
now in the traditional mode there is still the do no-thing track selected and not the master track on which i was working before i did switch the view mode
i think the selected pattern in both modes should be synchronized so that if i select a track in one mode the same track should be selected in the other mode

but a bit more confusing the pattern it self
in the awesome mode i did enter some random values as i said
and the pattern also appears in the traditional mode but there the pattern is empty
but back in the awesome mode the random values come back
the same happens when i enter some values in the traditional mode and switch to the awesome mode the random values will not appear in the awesome mode when i enter them in the traditional mode
it seems as i could do different patterns in each pattern view mode but only in the traditional mode i can rename them but when i rename it in the traditional mode then i can use it also in the awesome mode for example in this cool modplug-tracker-style sequence editor
this problem seems to be very strange and maybe even a bit complex :))
i think it is totaly confusing and should get somehow fixed but in the other hand it seems to be so curious that i fear it will get even more confusing if some one will try to fix it :)) (who knows what could happen)
i think if i have the same amount of patterns in one mode and the same patterns in the other pattern view mode and the amount on both sides is growing synchronous on both sides if i add more patterns they should also be the same patterns, i should be able to rename the same pattern in both view modes and if i add values to the pattern on one mode the same values should appear in the other mode (at least a pattern created in the traditional mode should appear in the awesome mode if maybe the new dynamic row settings are a backward compatibility problem), if it is realy the plan to create different patterns per view mode they should also be independently be renameable in each mode and creating a pattern in one mode should not result in a new pattern in the other mode

now i have two patterns for the master track one is named RESET_VOL_BPM_TPB and the other is named TEST
the reset pattern in the traditional mode puts volume on 0000 and some bpm and ticks and in the awesome mode it it is doing nothing
the test pattern in the awesome mode says volume 4000 = -80db (mute)
but in the traditional the same pattern says volume is 0000 = -0% (the opposide of what it is in the awesome mode, very loud)
now i place the pattern which has different settings but the same name in both modes into the sequencer, first it plays pattern RESET (only a traditional pattern) and then pattern TEST (a dual mode pattern but with opposide values in each mode)
now when i play the sequence the volume goes up with the traditional pattern so the traditional mode seems to work but then the dual mode pattern mutes the master, this means it is prefering the awesome mode, but this can get very confusing if you have one pattern name with two different kind of values where some patterns are only traditional and some are awesome or even dual mode patterns
i think this behaviour should somehow get unified or somehow clear declared... maybe if a pattern is written in some mode it should not appear editable in the other mode, or if working in one mode the other mode should get disabled, or both modes should get clearly seperated by independent pattern names, but mostly i think it sould just be less confusing :))

at the moment this are all problems i could find i hope there will not come more ;))

how ever i like this new stylish future look :D i know many people are traditionalists and hate it and may they also see a danger in it :)) ... i my self also hope this will not result in a second class fruityloops and that it will remain as a firstclass buzzer :D, i my self am also a traditionalist, even my modplug tracker which i may use more then buzz is using the buzz design theme :)) ... but this new pattern-view is realy awesome and this new cool stuff like dynamic rows is abolutely mindblowing :D ... i think i will open buzz a lot more in future time :)) (to do what ever it will come)

so i hope now the gods of software will hear me and do theyr magic :D
thanks a lot for all the hard work over the last past years .... your great :D
Shock0Late

Re: the new awesome pattern editor has some bugs

Post by Shock0Late »

one more
i select the do nothing track and make a new pattern named ODDITY
above i have this modplug-tracker-style sequencer and at the side a little small pattern selector
i select the ODDITY pattern in the traditional pattern view and also in the small pattern list at the side of the cool sequencer and i doubleclick with the mouse on the track in the sequencer above
now it creates a new pattern named 00 and adds this instead of my ODDITY pattern
actualy i dont see a way to add my ODDITY pattern on the do-nothing generator into the the cool new sequencer, but i can add a million patterns by trying to add it
but then when i go to the traditional sequencer i can add my ODDITY pattern and if i do it so it appears also in the new cool sequencer
somehow i think if i select a patern and if i add a pattern the selected pattern should get added to the cool sequencer and not a new one
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

Ohh... my... god, that's a lot of text. :D

I had totally forgotten about this "awesome mode". I never use it. I'm not even sure how well tested it is. Maybe try using the normal one, and see if that works out better?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

just use the normal pattern editor for now (pattern xp)
Shock0Late

Post by Shock0Late »

Joachip wrote:[...]

I had totally forgotten about this "awesome mode". I never use it. I'm not even sure how well tested it is. Maybe try using the normal one, and see if that works out better?
haha, some days ago i did not even know the awesome mode exists but now since i found it i like it very much :D i guess i already start to love it =D
and yes its maybe not well tested, so i did now a initial test and gave a hopefuly more than less reproduceable feedback ;)

the motivation behind all this results maybe some how out of a "do what you can to make better what you like" philosophy ;)
but maybe its just the hope in me to see how this awesome mode evolves :))

how ever i will try to use both modes in future, the traditional mode because i am used to it and the awesome mode because it realy looks nice too and i think it has a lot of potential in it and some how i think it looks like the tracker out of future times :D ... its realy sympathic and awesome :D
so i will try to use the pattern view modes mixed as they come and sound good ;))
:D
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i forgot about this too, it's pretty cool. the ability to play just the pattern you're working on without muting/soloing stuff in the sequencer is handy.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

wow, cool... did not know about this at all
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

szaszhareen wrote:i forgot about this too, it's pretty cool. the ability to play just the pattern you're working on without muting/soloing stuff in the sequencer is handy.
It works in pattern xp too.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

szaszhareen wrote:i forgot about this too, it's pretty cool. the ability to play just the pattern you're working on without muting/soloing stuff in the sequencer is handy.
One of the rare occasions when I felt I was really contributing was when I suggested this - spacebar in pattern view.
I still have a few up the sleeve if there is interest.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

@oskari: thanks! this is great :)

@evelon: empty that sleeve of ideas you have! :lol: