peer lfo problems

Dean

peer lfo problems

Post by Dean »

Revised OP:

This topic has come a long way! Many thanks to UNZ for sorting things out.
First I was posting about problems with peer2peer and peer data being "impotent",
this is till an issue. For example, peerlfo (the new one, from late 00's) can generate
data into a machine setting, but you are not able to record this into the pattern
editor, as you can for manually moving slider, midi data, etc.
The second issue which was brought up a bit later is also still an issue, but the
situation has kinda been realized and as a result, what to do is mostly clear,
although I don't have any tools to do such a thing myself. it regards the data stream
of peer lfo which is limited to 1 data per tick (does not support lfo/envelope data
at a higher rate)

As for peer trigger, I couldn't get it to work because I foolishly kept a copy in
both generators/effects and for some reason buzz would only load the generator
with this name, thus ignoring the existence of the effect, and as a result,
connections could not be made. It was solved by deleting the idiot placement
made by myself, and now it works like a charm!
Last edited by Dean on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
UNZ

Re: peer2peer (impotent data)

Post by UNZ »

Dean

Re: peer2peer (impotent data)

Post by Dean »

UNZ wrote:you got those for newbuzz ?

http://btdsys.lazytrap.com/remository?f ... info&id=36
thank you so much!
I didn't have them, as they were not posted on buzzmachines.com...
I would have searched buzzchurch for info before making topic, but
there's no such church anymore :/

peertrigger is still not working though, u know if it would also need some lines of code to work?
Dean

Re: peer problems - peer lfo problems + peertrigger doesn't

Post by Dean »

Sorry to return to this topic but it seems that peerlfo still doesn't work very well!
for one thing, how does one enable the subtick feature which was mentioned in other thread?
I can still only get 1 data from peerlfo 1 time per tick.
Another thing is, I seem to be unable to record peerdata from peerlfo to other machines.
Try hooking up peerlfo to a tethys filter for example, the lfo data stream does make an impact
on filter but if you try to record this, like you would moving slider manually,
the data does not generate into the pattern (however if you move slider while "on top of" input
of peer lfo, you get the slider manual movement recorded!)

any help on this is greatly appreciated.
thOke

Post by thOke »

Dean wrote:Another thing is, I seem to be unable to record peerdata from peerlfo to other machines.
Try hooking up peerlfo to a tethys filter for example, the lfo data stream does make an impact
the data does not generate into the pattern (however if you move slider while "on top of" input
i can confirm this for PeerLFO 1.1 .... recording still works with PeerLFO 1.0 in new Buzz for me though,
but i am still on win xp and these peer fixes were made for win vista/7 if i remember correctly ?!
Dean

Post by Dean »

thOke wrote:
Dean wrote:Another thing is, I seem to be unable to record peerdata from peerlfo to other machines.
i can confirm this for PeerLFO 1.1 .... recording still works with PeerLFO 1.0 in new Buzz for me though,
but i am still on win xp and these peer fixes were made for win vista/7 if i remember correctly ?!
yes actually I deleted the old version now but if I remember correctly, you could record it...
there's also certain parameters which won't let themselves be moved by peer, for example vsts are very buggy with this (using polac vst host).
I would really like to get this subtick thing to work also, I know other peer machines support it, but it's
supposed to be supported by the host now, which I am unable to get to work :(

by the way, theoke, does peertrigger work for you? (it's dead like a dead fish for me)
I can't connect any input to it, and I thought I had forgotten how to do it (even it's described clearly in docs), but even all old templates (on buzzmachines) won't do any sound at all.

update:

from testing out things a bit more, I don't think it's true that peer machines such as peer lfo supports subticks.
You can do any kind of manual edit in a subtick and it will send out the data, at the given subtick, but the
waveforms/envelopes (which is the reason for using a machine like peer lfo) can only be sent out one tick at a time...
I don't find any setting to enable subticks, the updatefrequency is minimum 1 tick (in setting) and obviously a
sub tick setting in pattern aint gonna do anything to change that.
how much code would be required to enable a lower setting than 1 data per tick for e.g. peerlfo?
how about 1 data per 1/64 or 1/32 tick as minimum?
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

i thought that at least the peers made for new buzz (the ones i linked to) support subtick timing, but i could be wrong..

the others that never got updates probably dont support it.

as far as code goes, its not too hard, you just have to send controlchangesimmediate when posinsubtick == 0, or something like that
thOke

Post by thOke »

Dean wrote: I would really like to get this subtick thing to work also, I know other peer machines support it, but it's
supposed to be supported by the host now, which I am unable to get to work :(
subtick timing can be enabled in settings/engine (right click in machine view window).
it's not supported by all machines though and peer lfo for example has a rate parameter
for subticks which is independent from the global subtick timing as far as i know.

Dean wrote:by the way, theoke, does peertrigger work for you? (it's dead like a dead fish for me)
I can't connect any input to it, and I thought I had forgotten how to do it (even it's described clearly in docs), but even all old templates (on buzzmachines) won't do any sound at all.
yes ... peer trigger is working as it should here. it's in your effects folder, right ?!
Last edited by thOke on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

Post by Dean »

UNZ wrote:as far as code goes, its not too hard, you just have to send controlchangesimmediate when posinsubtick == 0, or something like that
Reading another topic, it was suggested that IX updated peerLFO, then it might be possible to add this line of code aswell?
if not, do you think you could constitute a kindof hack for this? (seeing that you have knowledge of the issue)
Dean

Post by Dean »

thOke wrote:yes ... peer trigger is working as it should here
since I'm on win7 now... do you think the problem could be related to not being on windows xp? (since other peer machines were updated as you mentioned)
how do you connect input audio to trigger the peer machine? (I can't connect anything to it, but I know it was easy in past in oldbuzz and older windows)
Last edited by Dean on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

Dean wrote: by the way, theoke, does peertrigger work for you? (it's dead like a dead fish for me)
I can't connect any input to it
did you put it in generators instead of effects ?
Dean

Post by Dean »

UNZ wrote:
Dean wrote: by the way, theoke, does peertrigger work for you? (it's dead like a dead fish for me)
I can't connect any input to it
did you put it in generators instead of effects ?
wow, actually I didn't, but for some foolish reason I had peertrigger in both generators and effects,
and as a result (a bug?) the effect wouldn't show up in the machines list, only the misplaced "generator"...
so thank you for clearing up this mess!
I have no idea why it was in both folders, probably I was checking my generators folder for peermachines
at some point (instead of checking in buzz) and downloading the ones I didn't have, placing them there,
foolishly thinking they were all generators and belonging there...
I'll update OP again! thanks a lot!
IXix

Re: peer lfo problems

Post by IXix »

PeerLFO doesn't currently support subtick timing. Shouldn't be too hard to do but I'm up to my ears in busy at the moment. I'll add it to my long list of things to do when the universe gives me some peace and quiet.
Dean

Post by Dean »

IXix wrote:PeerLFO doesn't currently support subtick timing. Shouldn't be too hard to do but I'm up to my ears in busy at the moment. I'll add it to my long list of things to do when the universe gives me some peace and quiet.
That's very generous of you (even you are so busy right now), much appreciated!
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Did peer lfo ever get updated with subtick timing? The version I'm using (1.2a) seems to have a lot of stepping even with inertia turned on.
IXix

Post by IXix »

esp81 wrote:Did peer lfo ever get updated with subtick timing? The version I'm using (1.2a) seems to have a lot of stepping even with inertia turned on.
Nope, not yet.
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

I was just about to ask if PeerLFO could be updated with subtick timing. Seems unlikely :/
IXix

Post by IXix »

Okay, done... https://sourceforge.net/projects/btdsys ... eer%20LFO/

I changed the "Update Freq" parameter so it goes down to zero ("Free"). In free mode updates will be continuous if subtick timing is on, or once per tick if not.

It seems to work okay but feel free to complain if you have any problems. :)
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Great!

2 tiny questions...

Will I be able to use the new version without breaking old songs?
Any chance to beg for a de-assign button?
Paul Eye

Post by Paul Eye »

Whoa, a virtual hug for you :)