Post your favorite VST instruments and effects

onecircles

Post your favorite VST instruments and effects

Post by onecircles »

I'm certainly late to the game, but thanks to the amazing work of polac, we have support for vst within buzz.

What are some of your favorite plugins? The only one I have much experience with so far is FXPansion Geist sampling drum machine. It's pretty amazing. One stand out feature for me is that it can automatically slice a sample into parts and then analyze those slices based on their frequency content and classify them roughly as bass, drums and high hat. Then it will distribute and layer those newly created instruments into your pads with a single click. You can very easily make very interesting sounding drums from samples of pretty much anything using this feature!

I'm a sucker for CPU intensive things, so I'm going to try U-he-diva today. But man are VST expensive! So with that in mind, does anyone have any experience with http://www.vst4free.com/ There's some pretty intriguing looking stuff out there for free to be sure :)

Moving into this space, and wanting all the most intense VSTs is making me really wish that 64 bit buzz were more complete!
snowglobe

Re: Post your favorite VST instruments and effects

Post by snowglobe »

Polac is indeed like unto an archangel in the Buzz universe.
Try KVR for one of your better sources for locating the best VST/i.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i use massturbotar a lot. pretty handy, with an unusual control scheme that's still intuitive, and an interesting morphing feature.

firebird is another good one.

if you want to try something a little wierd the harmonium vst is interesting.

vst4free seems like a pretty legit site, i've gotten many vst from there and haven't had any issues.

there's also this thread where a lot of good vst are mentioned. :D
Grids

Post by Grids »

This is the best list of free VST plugins imo
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

My favorite VST of all time:

Oatmeal

I don't say it lightly. I've been going through the various free VSTs for a few years now, and Oatmeal is by far my favorite. The more I use it, the more I realize just how brilliantly designed it is. It holds its own against current VST plugins and it is over 10 years old now. Sounds so good, and it has an awesome randomize button.

I have a bunch of other favorites, but listing them all tends to take a while.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

mridlen wrote:Oatmeal
I wonder how old fuzzpilz is doing these days.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Yes, Oatmeal is probably the best freeware, BR808 is also something unique, but the vsti i use the most now is the Corona, this machine is incredible, a clear gui, an extraordinary dynamic, two ultra hot filters, a variety of sounds quasi infinite, no frills.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Fuzzpilz! I don't know if I'm alone in this, but one of my favorite synthesizers when I first started was Orange Kid. I don't know why, but it just seemed to have a great, raw tone. Favorite synth to play with my fingers for a long time. What's going on with Oatmeal?

I am way excited to try Corona, as I love qsamo for everything except it's lack of a square wave and it's stubborn insistence upon always capturing midi notes!
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Oatmeal is indeed one of the best free synths.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

BR808 is pretty awesome. It's a little too unstable for me to use it on a regular basis, and it chews up my CPU, but it's so much like the Kurzweil VAST architecture... I'm holding out hope that it will one day receive updates.

And Corona is one of 3 paid VSTis that I own, alongside Synthmaster and Serum. Corona is really good for those times when you want a completely unique sound, with all the waveforms and combine methods to choose from.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

Hey Onecircles, here are my two cents. If you're looking for affordable but great, I found melda production, d16 group, tone boosters, SKnote, to be very fair. Melda production's creative bundle is pretty much all you need, d6 groups tora verb is amazing and affordable (if you like Diva, d16's Lush-101 will blow your mind), sknote writes very warm, beautiful plugs...Now is the best time for these smaller developers, and they don't go the Softube rout and price everything over 400 (although if you got the cash, buy softube, they are crazy good), but keep it cheap and moving. As far as synths go you're right on the money with Diva, probably one of the best sounding soft synths to date. Check out FXPansion's DCAM: synth squad, Cypher is one of a kind :twisted: Also take a look at the KVR Developer challenge for great free VESTs (fk autocorrect).
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Woah, what a wealth of recommendations! I'll work through these for sure, thanks guys!