SnowMachines combined thread

esp81

Re: SnowMachines combined thread

Post by esp81 »

What is the button next to the left of the qwerty manager button? When I click it just says "Click the 'Edit' button below to change the text". Maybe I broke something?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:What is the button next to the left of the qwerty manager button? When I click it just says "Click the 'Edit' button below to change the text". Maybe I broke something?
That's an html-capable annotation editor - one per tab. It was going to be a temporary thing: I was going to do a 16-part tutorial, with images and links, but I got ... tired. If you open the one in tab A of the demo song you'll find the beginnings of the planned tutorial. Eh, I'll probably leave it in because it's not hurting anything - basically, 16 additional blah blah screens that will mostly never get used, just like the main one mostly never gets used anymore.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Impressive, a multidimensional sequencer, ultra poly-rhythmic, solid new concepts inside.
I was a little bit afraid by machine complexity, but its very intuitive, :D , this new composition tool make buzz very different, perfectly in the Buzz philosophy, modular, very clear gui.
Never a bmx without Snowglobe Lucky ScaleWalker for me now.
(a very minor thing, set's window doesn't change when we change it in pattern editor or another control, not a bug, but the machine is so perfect).
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote: Never a bmx without Snowglobe Lucky ScaleWalker for me now.
:dance: I won't hold you to that declaration, but I also won't lie and say I didn't dare to hope you would feel this way :D
(a very minor thing, set's window doesn't change when we change it in pattern editor or another control, not a bug, but the machine is so perfect).
If I understand you correctly, what's wanted is to check the "Follow Set Changes" checkbox (below the Target Selector).

Also, stand by for a new option coming soon: Activation Channel to Set. Tabs will be labeled 1 - 16 instead of A - P; if option enabled, activation via channel n will make Tab n active.
Last edited by snowglobe on Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinga

Post by tinga »

Snowglobe wrote:what's wanted is to check the "Follow Set Changes" checkbox (below the Target Selector).
I am probably blind :?
Sorry for this stupid error, cool window changes also with peer controllers (if play is on).

Great job, in electronic music, tools create music...
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:window changes also with peer controllers (if play is on).
I have removed the requirement for song to be playing in order for Follow Set Changes to work.

New version is up now with the 'Channel n activates Set n' option.

Examples:
  • MIDI note received from a controller on channel 3: Set 3 is activated.
  • Note is fired on track 0, with track 0 channel set to 4: Set 4 is activated.
EDIT: Hmm, I thought this would let multiple Sets be fired simultaneously, but it doesn't (yet).
EDIT2: Yes, this does let you fire multiple Sets at the same time (notes on the same tick in tracks set to different channels).

Also, track triggers will now activate all rules in a row (whereas track notes only activate rules associated with the track).
This allows track triggers to fire all rules in a row when the new channel-to-set option is used.
(It's possible that after some research I will flip this around so that notes play all rules and triggers only fire rules from the track)
Last edited by snowglobe on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

It is pretty straight forward for being so complex, although I still don't understand what some of the note offset symbols mean? I'm really looking forward to any new features, I do hope you release with version numbers, or at least keep backwards compatibility in mind when adding features, I've already got a couple new tracks using this beautiful machine I'd really hate to break. Thanks again for creating this beast, I think it's probably the most powerful Buzz generator created yet!
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:It is pretty straight forward for being so complex, although I still don't understand what some of the note offset symbols mean?
Mouseover and check the tooltip. (In terms of what they 'mean', yeah, at some point I'll probably need to beef up the documentation about the effective differences between them all - can be very subtle).
I'm really looking forward to any new features, I do hope you release with version numbers, or at least keep backwards compatibility in mind when adding features, I've already got a couple new tracks using this beautiful machine I'd really hate to break.
For the time being I strongly prefer to not be doing any sort of versioning on my side of things. However, I believe it should be possible for you to do your own versioning scheme - just rename dlls. (What I will do is try to provide an alert when backwards compatibility is broken by an update - not the case of this latest one, I don't think).
Thanks again for creating this beast, I think it's probably the most powerful Buzz generator created yet!
Glad you like it :)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

A great advantage for buzz. Even with pretty simple setups this machine provides unique evolving melodies, especially when using the random velocity feature – Wunderbar!
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

Update: right-click keys in QWERTY Manager to remap. (QWERTZ, etc)

Wow! I'm too late, but hey it's never too late to say thank you, thank you, thank you it works absolutely well with my setup, great work ... (hope you do not overwork yourself ... relax a bit from this programming-marathon ;) ).
tinga

Post by tinga »

When I try to edit scales in ScaleWalker, I get an error message, but not with ScaleSnapper, maybe my win7?
Is the "container" the same for both machines?
Are new scales just stored in the BMX?
The chain "Lucky->Channanigans! " is great, Scale Walker is a sort of super KoDream Improv, more intuitive with more control for the way "sentences" are played.
Congratulations for this very innovative (& crazy) midi integration in Buzz.
Do you have new "Event Response Rule" in project.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

tinga wrote:When I try to edit scales in ScaleWalker, I get an error message, but not with ScaleSnapper, maybe my win7?
Nope - bug (now fixed).
Are new scales just stored in the BMX?
For now, yes. I plan to do savable preferences at some point.
The chain "Lucky->Channanigans! " is great
Everyone's after me Lucky Channanigans! see this if confused
Do you have new "Event Response Rule" in project.
Fun new stuff coming, i'd say in the next few weeks or so
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Is there a way to get sequential mode to reset to the first row with each note-on?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:Is there a way to get sequential mode to reset to the first row with each note-on?
Kind of confused here, since a note-on (or trigger) is what bumps the selection in the first place, but you reminded me that I needed to make the 'Sqtl Reset' parameter work in ScaleWalker, so that's done now (and maybe is the answer to your question?).
esp81

Post by esp81 »

You're right that didn't make much sense. :lol: What I'm trying to do is reset to the first row at a certain point in the song while in sequential mode.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:You're right that didn't make much sense. :lol: What I'm trying to do is reset to the first row at a certain point in the song while in sequential mode.
Very good, then - Seqtl Reset is the only way for now (but there will be more options soon).
esp81

Post by esp81 »

So setting the Seqtl Reset probability to 100% should reset the sequence, right? That didn't seem to be working when I tried it, was that fixed with the 1-21 update?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

esp81 wrote:So setting the Seqtl Reset probability to 100% should reset the sequence, right? That didn't seem to be working when I tried it, was that fixed with the 1-21 update?
Not at first :mrgreen: (but after you asked your question, I fixed it and then updated the update)
esp81

Post by esp81 »

It's working now, thanks!
esp81

Post by esp81 »

I've managed to crash Buzz by right clicking in the grey rectangle area next to the red X in the scale menu of scalewalker...not a huge concern, but I thought you should know.
Also, clicking to open the scale menu is also causing a different scale to be selected...so when I click the menu to change scale, it immediately sets to melodic minor.