Effects that use an LFO in Buzz

mcbpete

Effects that use an LFO in Buzz

Post by mcbpete »

No quite sure if this question is really obvious or is something that's actually quite convoluted in its process, but with effects like flange or filter effects that drift up or down in cutoff (eg. Philthy), is there any way of defining an initial position and direction the effect will go - eg can I make it that every time a short drum loop is triggered the flange perceptively rises in timbre, or that when triggered the cutoff of the filter effect will always cycle upwards ?

I've always made tracks just knowing that the effects cycle between values and know how to specify the range and speed of these values but never how to specify or trigger a specific initial value or what direction the LFO (I'm guessing that's what controls it) travels in.

This query popped in to mind due to my increase use of using PeerLFO on things, with that I tend to use a sine wave as the shape in which the effects are controlled. Again I know how to specify the min + max values, and speed, but never to say for example - Cycle between values 0-60 but at this specified point I want you to have the value of 40 and be descending in value

Is this possible ?
strobotone

Re: Effects that use an LFO in Buzz

Post by strobotone »

if you are asking for a trigger parameter on PeerLFO, i am also wondering how to reset the actual lfo.
unfortunately the on/off switch only pauses the lfo.
(i am using stuff like an 808 bassdrum from the wavetable as waveshape for PeerLFO to control a filter cutoff)
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

correction : you can retrigger its lfo using the "Manual Phase" parameter from the pattern editor. (not the "Phase" slider)
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Ah cheers - it also looks like the 'Amplitude' value (when 'Extend Mode' is set to Center/Ampl) depending on whether it's a positive or negative value (and what that value is) will manually set the current value of the LFO and what direction it's going in ...
mute

Post by mute »

In Philthy, thats what 'phase' does (lfo phase offset or 'manual phase'). Many other lfo/flange/etc. effects have the phase offset value available also.. but i can't name them off the top of my head
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

mute wrote:In Philthy, thats what 'phase' does (lfo phase offset or 'manual phase').
Damnit, I'm an idiot - my old Physics teacher would be hanging his head in shame for me not remembering such a term. Thanks man for the clarification :)