More problems with JUCE - Spitfire LABS and BBC Orchestra

Grids

More problems with JUCE - Spitfire LABS and BBC Orchestra

Post by Grids »

Hi,

I'm having more problems with JUCE plugins in Polac, specifically BBC Orchestra (Spitfire) and LABS. I just bought a new laptop on Windows 11, 16 GB, i7, SSD etc.

I have experienced problems with JUCE plugins before, e.g. Valhalla Supermassive but I have been able to solve these with either
a) unchecking 'embedded VST gui' (via right click > preferences in Polac etc)
b) unchecking through Bridge mode (CTRL ALT on GUI)
c)switching off 'run in a separate process' or
d) some weird process of trial and error with checking and unchecking different boxes in the preferences tab and restarting to see if it works :lol:

I had BBC Orchestra working perfectly but LABS wasn't .... I filled around in the 'per plugin' preferences etc for LABS (without tinkering again with BBC)....
Now LABS works perfectly and I cannot for the life of me get the BBC plugin to work.

In this case it isn't the flickering menu problem...it's that I cannot even see any GUI, just a small white box with a title.

I actually don't mind if I can't close the GUI completely... I would just like a useable GUI.
It's weird because it was working perfectly.

I have explored these:

viewtopic.php?t=2658
viewtopic.php?p=14977#p14977

Any thoughts...
Grids

Re: More problems with JUCE - Spitfire LABS and BBC Orchestra

Post by Grids »

Okay, now it is very weird. I just shutdown the laptop, reopened Buzz. Now BBC works fine but LABS doesn't. It seems that Buzz/Polac are having trouble with both showing a GUI at once. I'm lost. Thoughts?
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

thats bad news because bbc orchestra is on my download list.
by the way, do you have an Alder Lake cpu with p+e cores? if yes it would be nice to hear how buzz handles the cores. see threat 'AMD or Intel'. Sorry for dont offering any solution.
Grids

Post by Grids »

It's weird what is happening now. I found a very dodgy workaround (sort of).

I find it particularly problematic with LABs and BBC Orchestra plugins.

I have found that if there are multiple instances of the plugins when I try to open the plugin's gui, half the time it shows the plugin and the other half of the time it refuses to open the gui (just showing a very small white box). It seems that often the first LABS plugin that I try to open in a project doesn't open the GUI. The second LABS plugin I try in a project often opens the GUI (but not always).

If I close the project and then reopen it... and then try the plugins in a different order sometimes I can view GUI instances of a plugin that previously wouldn't open.

But if there are more than two instances of a LABS plugin ... at least one will not allow me to open it's GUI in a given session.

I a wondering if this is to do with large sample libraries for Labs ETC. I have problems with other JUCE plugins, e.g. Valhalla supermassive (occasionally I am unable to open the gui) ...but nowhere near as bad as LABS

I have a Dell Inspiron 64 Bit, 16 GB RAM, Dedicated graphics card, i7, Windows 11, SSD etc.

I am using 32 bit buzz. I have the latest polac stuff

The LABS and BBC plugins are 64 Bit

Super weird. Does anyone have any insight? I love these plugins (I love having orchestral sounds alongside more analogue or abstract synth sounds).
Attachments
Image of problems with LABS in Buzz
Image of problems with LABS in Buzz
labs problems.png (82.82 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
mute

Post by mute »

It would better suit the conversation and Frank if you gave this feedback in his thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7
Grids

Post by Grids »

Thanks Mute. I think I might start a new thread about Buzz 32 or Buzz 64 (with a specific setup) because there is a precise set up challenge that I am facing that I think might be bigger than JUCE or even polac. Thank you.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

Grids wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:03 am Okay, now it is very weird. I just shutdown the laptop, reopened Buzz. Now BBC works fine but LABS doesn't. It seems that Buzz/Polac are having trouble with both showing a GUI at once. I'm lost. Thoughts?
hmmm,that's weird :o
LABS seems to work fine here in 32buzz and 64bit buzz.I will install BBC plugins and let you know ...
EDIT : BBC works too with LABS showing GUI at once.BBC loads much much longer in Buzz 32 compared with Buzz 64.
short video:LABS and BBC in Buzz
Grids

Post by Grids »

Wow. Yours is working perfectly. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your VSTi preferences. Just to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Here is my current 'workaround':

1. Load LABS (connected to master) etc.
2. Try to open the GUI to change the sound.
3. If the GUI doesn't open...open a second version of LABS
4. Then go back to the first version of LABS > rightclick and select 'Replace' and select LABS again ...for some reason this 'third' version of buzz will always open the GUI after I have followed these steps but not if I mix up these steps
5. Delete second of version of LABS

Super frustrating but at least semi-functional.
temporalsounds

Post by temporalsounds »

I have one version of LABS only, installed in VST directory.
I remember I had 32bit on old computer, but it's gone.
32bit LABS forum
kvr forum LABS

EDIT : same preferences on LABS VST
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

try disabling multithreading
or try enabling "run in separate process"
Grids

Post by Grids »

I have been fiddling with all of these settings (and I am sure that I had tried all of this many times) for a long time but I think this has fixed it. The GUI is opening every time now. I'm really happy its working.
polac

Post by polac »

Argh, great you did get it working at last.