Modern Pattern Editor 0.9.1.1
  • Based on "Ctrl-Q" code
  • Editing features similar to Pattern XP
  • Beat subdivision
  • Themes & UI customization
  • Chords
  • Keyboard Mapping
  • Check help/settings to learn more
Edit gear.xml (make a copy of gear_defaults.xml if the file does not exist) to something like this:

Code: Select all

<Machine Name="Jeskola Pattern XP" LoadAtStartup="True" DataFormat="PatternXP"/>
<Machine Name="Jeskola Pattern XP mod" LoadAtStartup="True" DataFormat="PatternXP"/>
<Machine Name="Modern Pattern Editor" LoadAtStartup="True" DataFormat="PatternXP"/>
Now you can switch from Pattern XP to MPE and have your data transferred correctly.

Notes:
There will be bugs.
Old toolbars hidden by default -> settings
SubPatterns not supported
Data is saved using new data format. You can enable Pattern XP compatibility from settings.
For some reason switching back to PatternXP loses pattern data

Updated Mire (extended) theme
Attachments
ModernPatternEditor.zip
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by wde on Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.
temporalsounds

Re: Modern Pattern Editor

Post by temporalsounds »

Thank you WDE for chords addition. :dance:
I'm always careful about switching between the patterns XP versions.
If I switch to the new PatternXP from '<built-in>' , it is no problem,when I switch back from new PatternXP to '<built-in>' I loose the data.Do not worry..we know about this :)
Last edited by temporalsounds on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IXix

Post by IXix »

You're unstoppable! :dance:

Slightly wary of trying this one though, the PXP situation is quite confused! :lol:
HerrFornit

Post by HerrFornit »

looks nice. 8-) compatibility is essential.
nathansnider

Post by nathansnider »

wde wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:56 pm Now you can switch from Pattern XP to MPE and have your data transferred correctly.
My eyes got wide for a second there, until I realized that of course 'MPE' would mean Modern Pattern Editor, not MIDI Polyphonic Expression. :lol:

In any case, it'll be fun to try this one out. Thanks for all the work you've put into these extended Buzz features!
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Another piece of magic from wde :dance:
Is there any way to set this editor as the default one with gear.xml (or similar) ?
wde

Post by wde »

New version with fixes.
mcbpete wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:07 pm Is there any way to set this editor as the default one with gear.xml (or similar) ?
Click the small 'E' button and see 'Def This' and 'Def All' to make MPE default for current machine or to all machines.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Fabulous - Thank you :)
wde

Post by wde »

• Fixes
  • Now you can add chord sets. See PEChords.xml
wde

Post by wde »

• Recording bug
  • Import/Export Pattern(s)
IXix

Post by IXix »

Thanks! I don't seem to be able to add/remove a track from the editor. The options aren't in the context menu and the usual shortcuts don't work.

Pretty cool though. :)
wde

Post by wde »

IXix wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:07 pm Thanks! I don't seem to be able to add/remove a track from the editor. The options aren't in the context menu and the usual shortcuts don't work.
Ctrl+- combo is somehow reserved and can't be used. I could add context menu shortcuts, but for now you can use 'Tracks' thingy in the toolbar.
IXix

Post by IXix »

wde wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:15 pmCtrl+- combo is somehow reserved and can't be used. I could add context menu shortcuts, but for now you can use 'Tracks' thingy in the toolbar.
Tracks thingy? Completely failed to see that. :lol:
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Love the look of this thing and can't wait to use it as my primary editor.

Wee issues I ran into:

- The status bar has no context readout. For example when loading a VST the Default editor will say "midi message" when an "09" is present in the track command column. You can have the knobs enabled to see for example what param you're mapping in a VST, but you still don't see the context or percent values for track command, note cut, delay, etc. It's a bit strange, because if you click off of the editor and go back in you will sometimes see two status columns one on the top and one on the bottom but it's impossible to select stuff in the bottom one and it seems tied to one of the other pattern editors.

- I absolutely love the Ctrl + 1 - 0 function and I imagine it'll make subtick stuff a breeze. But how do we select how many rows we're jumping on edit now? Like say you have a row of 8tpb and subtick resolution of 3 on each beat, but now you still want to jump down by two each time you make an edit, skipping every other note... Is that possible?
wde

Post by wde »

synthphase wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:23 am - The status bar has no context readout.
Should be fixed. Old statusbar and toolbar are there if you switch between machines that have different editor. You can hide legacy toolbars from MPE settings when you fully switch to MPE.
synthphase wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:23 am - I absolutely love the Ctrl + 1 - 0 function and I imagine it'll make subtick stuff a breeze. But how do we select how many rows we're jumping on edit now? Like say you have a row of 8tpb and subtick resolution of 3 on each beat, but now you still want to jump down by two each time you make an edit, skipping every other note... Is that possible?
Click the small 'k' button to change how the cursor behaves. For now, the behavior is same in both "normal" beat and beat subdivision.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Hey thanks for the update and info. Nice.

I got a crash today using the old version and it persisted when switching to the new one. Context: Probably the only time I tried to gang up two machines in one editor. Both were Spire VSTi instances so I assume it has something to do with interpreting data from two machines? It worked fine yet saved in some corrupted state. Here is the first error I got:

mpe.crash1.png
mpe.crash1.png (29.44 KiB) Viewed 9680 times
Here is another error I get after loading another file in a Buzz session:

mpe.crash2.png
mpe.crash2.png (59.95 KiB) Viewed 9680 times
Perhaps this latter one is due to Polac VSTi sometimes not unloading itself (vst.exe process will still be active after closing buzz).

Also I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm still running Windows 7. Cuz Windows 10 sucks for audio but I wanna use these cool new toolz
wde

Post by wde »

Should work fine on Windows 7 (Windows 11 here). Let me know if you can reproduce the issue.
synthphase

Post by synthphase »

Ok I found out what does it. It's in the clone machine function somewhere. Steps:

- Add any generator
- Switch it over to MPE (I'm using Pattern XP mod by default so this might be important)
- Clone the machine from the machine view
- On instance 1, Ctrl+backspace to bring up pattern select dialog
- Select the cloned machine. Patterns only not pxp midi stuff.
- Save the song.

On opening the song you should get a crash. Let me know if you're having trouble reproducing it, I can upload a bmx somewhere..
It's finicky and doing it in a different order (not switching to MPE or using the cloned machine) sometimes fails to crash. Hopefully this doesn't mean it's intermittent and hard to bugfix. Tried and successfully crashed with Mda Piano, Unwieldy Tracker and Infector.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

The HD from my old/backup laptop died the other day so have reinstalled Buzz (copying everything from my main machine Buzz folder, and then running the Buzz installer)

For some reason I'm getting the following error on launch:
LoadLibrary("C:\Program Files (x86)\Jeskola\Buzz\Gear\Generators\Modern Pattern Editor.dll") failed
The specified module could not be found
I'm guessing I'm missing something like a VC runtime installer and/or a .net install instance (looks like the latest build of Win 10 has v4.8 as standard, do I need an older version ?!). I've got all the various mscv*.dlls all in the Buzz folder, as I say the Buzz folder is basically a clone of a working install, but I re-ran the installer to ensure all the registry keys etc. got set properly

EDIT: Definitely missing something big, all the Peer Machines are complaining with various error messages too
EDIT2: All solved, needed to install the VC++ 2015 redistributable ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=48145 )
wde

Post by wde »

synthphase wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:16 am Ok I found out what does it. It's in the clone machine function somewhere.
Yup. Fixed.