How to enable Buzz splash screen?

mes

How to enable Buzz splash screen?

Post by mes »

New Buzz doesn't show the splash screen for me when booting up like it did in the old Buzz, is there a way to enable it? Not really a big deal but I do miss seeing it.
peacemaker

Re: How to enable Buzz splash screen?

Post by peacemaker »

I was missing it too - until I recently upgraded my hardware.
Buzz needs 5 secs over here on 1st start now.
I do like splash screens when a program needs a long time to load.
mes

Post by mes »

Hmmm I've been wondering if it's because I'm using Windows XP that Buzz is taking so long to boot up? The machine parameter windows also take a while to open after clicking especially the more complex synths that have a ton of parameters like Fuzzpillz Cheese.
sfMan

Post by sfMan »

mes wrote:Hmmm I've been wondering if it's because I'm using Windows XP that Buzz is taking so long to boot up?
Well. I don't think that XP is the reason. Maybe your PC is to slow or something's wrong with your sound config. Try changing audio driver (Direct Sound, ASIO, Polac ASIO etc.)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

mes wrote:Hmmm I've been wondering if it's because I'm using Windows XP that Buzz is taking so long to boot up? The machine parameter windows also take a while to open after clicking especially the more complex synths that have a ton of parameters like Fuzzpillz Cheese.
i had this problem until i switched to win7. i think it has something to do with the NGEN thingy not working with xp.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

mes wrote:Hmmm I've been wondering if it's because I'm using Windows XP that Buzz is taking so long to boot up? The machine parameter windows also take a while to open after clicking especially the more complex synths that have a ton of parameters like Fuzzpillz Cheese.
Check amount of memory occupied by Buzz - maybe there is your answer.
mes

Post by mes »

szaszhareen wrote:
i had this problem until i switched to win7. i think it has something to do with the NGEN thingy not working with xp.

Yea, I'm pretty sure this is the problem..
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

mes wrote:
szaszhareen wrote:

Yea, I'm pretty sure this is the problem..
Well, no!
I am using XP (SP3) for a long time until now and its working flawless for me. Boots up in 6 seconds. And it handles that NGEN thingy ;) perfect.
It all depends on computers strength. Mine is about 5 years old, but it has still enough power (AMD Athlon 3200+ 2GHz). You need a stronger machine!

P.S.: Is your .NET Framework 4 Client Profile correctly installed? Mine got somehow messed up (my human error, of course) one day, I reinstalled it.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah NGen definitely works on XP (it creates machine specific images so the apps actually boot quicker), it's apps compiled using .NET that cause things to load slowly on some machines (Including mine) - you'll find the same delay on first boot if you use other .NET apps as well (e.g. Paint.net)
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

Klangkulisse wrote: I am using XP (SP3) for a long time until now and its working flawless for me. Boots up in 6 seconds. And it handles that NGEN thingy ;) perfect.
It all depends on computers strength. Mine is about 5 years old, but it has still enough power (AMD Athlon 3200+ 2GHz). You need a stronger machine!
I'm curious, how long does the presets dropdown menu take to open after you click it? I remember when oskari switched to .NET it took about 2 seconds (!) to open that dropdown box. That's a LONG time to open a fucking menu. My machine was an AthlonXP 2600+.
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

peacemaker wrote:
Klangkulisse wrote: I am using XP (SP3) for a long time until now and its working flawless for me. Boots up in 6 seconds. And it handles that NGEN thingy ;) perfect.
I'm curious, how long does the presets dropdown menu take to open after you click it? I remember when oskari switched to .NET it took about 2 seconds (!) to open that dropdown box. That's a LONG time to open a fucking menu. My machine was an AthlonXP 2600+.
0 seconds
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

peacemaker wrote:
0.0 seconds ;)

There must be something wrong with your machine. May be you should reinstall your whole system. 2 seconds = eternity
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

Made me look
0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 sec over here
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah it's pretty much instant on my 6 year old Lappy too (Athlon 64 3700+). Booting however is another issue, but that's to be expected on a machine of this age.

What would be great is for the boot screen to be just the debug console (or maybe just the bottom line of the console along with the buzz logo) - that way you can see exactly where it's hanging/slow on load, plus you can see that it's actually doing something.
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

would be nice if stuff like loading dialogs or the splashscreen were also part of the BuzzGUI.
you could have random splashscreens and/or a progressbar.
but i guess we have more important things to implement.
johnnybegood

Post by johnnybegood »

New Buzz is slow to boot (several seconds) because it appears to load, check some stuff and then unload each machine/dll in its subdirs. Old Buzz which starts in a fraction of a second appears to only enumerate the machines/dlls. (according to what I can see with Sysinternal Filemon)

Solution to get the new buzz to load fast: deleting several hundred of useless/obsolete machines. :lol:
strobotone

Post by strobotone »

this is the "worst case" when i start Buzz on WIN7 64bit / core i7 notebook (from SSD) after a fresh reboot :

00:00 [Startup] Buzz build 1409 (MI_VERSION 56)
00:02 [Startup] Load 'BuzzGUI.dll'
00:02 [Startup] Load 'avrt.dll'
00:02 [Engine] Using 4 threads in multithreaded mode
00:03 [GUI] Create toolbar
00:03 [GUI] Create parameter window
00:03 [GUI] Create machine view
00:04 [GUI] Create wavetable view
00:04 [GUI] Create sequence editor
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '7900s ECB48'
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '7900s Pearl Drum'
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '7900s XY Controller'
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '11-Delay v1.1 (Stereo)'
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '11-Delay v1.1'
00:05 [MM] Add DLL '11-Delay v1.15 (Stereo)'
00:06 [MM] LoadLibrary 'E:\production\Buzz\Gear\Generators\Polac VSTi 1.1.dll'
00:06 [MM] [Polac VSTi 1.1] CLibInterface::GetInstrumentList
00:11 [MM] [Polac VSTi 1.1] AddInstrument 'MIDI/Internal MIDI '
00:11 [MM] LoadLibrary 'E:\production\Buzz\Gear\Generators\Jeskola Pattern XP.dll'
00:11 [MM] LoadLibrary 'E:\production\Buzz\Gear\Generators\Jeskola Pianoroll.dll'
00:12 [Startup] Read Wave Tree
00:12 [Startup] Initialize MIDI Input
00:12 [Startup] Finished

As you can see it takes 5 seconds to check the installed VSTs.
the native machines dont take up that much time even i got hundreds of them.

After quitting and restarting Buzz it looks like this:

00:03 [Startup] Finished

So when it comes to removing machines you probably should check which VSTs you really use.
oskari
Site Admin

Post by oskari »

If you disable 'Autoscan On Startup' in pvsti it takes almost no time.

This is what I get using the debug build of buzz, which is not as fast as the build you have:

00:01 [Startup] Finished

(and it includes the loading time of a bmx at I'm using for debugging too)
johnnybegood

Post by johnnybegood »

Well if you'd remove all your vsts, it'd still take 7 secs to load which is still a lot of time, and that, you'll be able to cut it down only by removing machines I believe.

7 secs is more or less how long a new buzz cold start is here with 1462 dlls in the gear dir of which only 81 are in the vst dir. Polac vst dx scan takes a bit of time for fetching dlls that are elsewhere on the disks and the high level of fragmentation of the standard 7200 rpm disk it's all on probably doesn't help.

This with a new buzz which doesn't use dotnet, version 1131 which is the most recent I can run (with some hacks) on my Win ME system and CPU is an AMD Opteron 154 2.8Ghz.

I'd love to have it start faster but removing machines isn't really an option unfortunately as it may prevent loading of an unforeseen number of old bmx files so I guess I'll have to live with it as is.

Btw, the option for the splash screen should be under the View/Options menu if this has not been found by now. ;)
Klangkulisse

Post by Klangkulisse »

Take a deep breath - 7 seconds away (remember this song?) - perfect time to catch the flow ;)
Come on! Everything up to this space of time can not be considered as waiting, it is pleasant anticipation.