PyBuzz/PyPeer GUI problems

etruscan

PyBuzz/PyPeer GUI problems

Post by etruscan »

I'm getting error messages in build 1463 when I try to open PyPeer. I'm using the 2011.07.26 build as OnParameter and OnTick don't seem to work in 2011.07.30. (Something I've been meaning to mention, but I've been out of the loop for a while!)

Anyway, I can add the PyBuzz machine okay, but this is what I get when I click on it:

If I right-click and choose parameters:

If I then close Buzz with the PyBuzz machine still added:

Originally, I found that all machines using their own GUI threw similar errors, but installing Visual C# 2010 Express cleared up the problem for everything apart from PyBuzz. I rolled back to Buzz build 1393 (on the logic that it came out round about the same time as the PyBuzz build I'm using), and it works fine. So could it be a C#/PyBuzz issue? (I'm running .NET 4.0 and I have Visual C++ installed too.)

Help and advice gratefully received as always - thank you :) I need to get back to writing obscure scripts!
IXix

Re: PyBuzz/PyPeer GUI problems

Post by IXix »

Don't have time to do any testing atm but I've got a pretty good idea why this is happening. I think something changed a while back in how Buzz populates menus. It should be an easy fix but it may be a while before I can do anything about it myself.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

Thanks man! It will be gratefully received whenever you can get to it :) In the meantime, it should still be usable via the older console, peer controller, and import/export commands, so it's not the end of the world!
dukajoe

Post by dukajoe »

I second this--I have been trying to use pypeer as well and got the same error. Additionally, someone besides you IX (I think either Joachip or Mantratronic) wrote a special package for me that included a mutemachine method. It would be super helpful to fix this particular version written by the other developer, which was compiled on 10/06/2011. I wasn't able to pypeer this for a long time due to the obscure typing bug with my computer, but I just got a new one so I think that may no longer be an issue, so please help! :D
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

i don't think the mutemachine one is needed now actually, just use viewtopic.php?f=3&t=253 controlled by Ix's latest PyBuzz/PyPeer.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Sorry for the delay. I don't really know why it wasn't working but a full rebuild seems to have fixed it. Get the new version here and let me know if it fixes the problem for you.
dukajoe

Post by dukajoe »

IXix wrote:Sorry for the delay. I don't really know why it wasn't working but a full rebuild seems to have fixed it. Get the new version here and let me know if it fixes the problem for you.
So, I played around with this, and I seem to be having similar issues that I had in the past, which seemed strange since I have a whole new system. BUT, it seems that now I can import scripts that I write from an outside editor without issue. I have a lot of developing to do, so I will let you know if everything works well. I went in and commented out the KeyUp and KeyDown parts of the machineview.xaml again to get the typing in the script editor to work in the first place, and so I still wonder if this has a negative effect on the carriage return character or something like that. Anyway, I think that it will work this time by importing scripts, but I will have to abandon using the script editor, which is ok.
Matratronic wrote:i don't think the mutemachine one is needed now actually, just use viewtopic.php?f=3&t=253 controlled by Ix's latest PyBuzz/PyPeer.
Oh thank god. Or, thanks Matratronic, in this case. I think between this, pypeer, and my new best friend mr. 3770K, I will have a new buzz renaissance on the way.
IXix

Post by IXix »

dukajoe wrote:So, I played around with this, and I seem to be having similar issues that I had in the past, which seemed strange since I have a whole new system. BUT, it seems that now I can import scripts that I write from an outside editor without issue. I have a lot of developing to do, so I will let you know if everything works well. I went in and commented out the KeyUp and KeyDown parts of the machineview.xaml again to get the typing in the script editor to work in the first place, and so I still wonder if this has a negative effect on the carriage return character or something like that. Anyway, I think that it will work this time by importing scripts, but I will have to abandon using the script editor, which is ok.
The rebuild I just posted just (hopefully) fixes the problem that the machine GUI wouldn't open. It won't have any effect on your problem. I'll try to have another look at your problem soon.
IXix

Post by IXix »

dukajoe wrote:I went in and commented out the KeyUp and KeyDown parts of the machineview.xaml again to get the typing in the script editor to work in the first place, and so I still wonder if this has a negative effect on the carriage return character or something like that
You don't need to edit machineview.xaml now as Oskari added a machine view setting for turning the note input feature on/off. It's Settings->Parameter Window->KeyboardMIDI.

The problem you've been having is down to mismatched end-of-line characters. PyBuzz wants Windows style line endings but the script editor is using a different style. I'm trying to find a way to rectify that problem but if I can't I should at least be able to set up a workaround. Bear with me.
IXix

Post by IXix »

Okay, I've just uploaded a new package. Changes are:
  • File handling improvements. Not using PyBuzz file routines so scripts that won't compile will still load into the editor.
  • Fixed line ending bugs. Incompatible line endings characters are automatically converted on compile/save.
  • "Compile" menu item/button to push code to the machine without having to save a file.
  • Error messages when script won't compile.
  • Brought back script editor toolbar (no graphics yet, just text)
  • Console improvements.
Let me know if there are any problems.
dukajoe

Post by dukajoe »

Fixes it! I have no issues loading, writing scripts, controlling peers ect.

One more question ;)
Is it a big deal to compile for 64-bit buzz? The only issue seems to be the gui stuff. The main screen doesn't work, and the peer assignment shows up, but wont really assign a peer. This is of course a very humble request as I am slowly migrating over to using 64-bit exclusively. Would it work better if I had a 64 bit version of python installed?
Anyway, I appriciate all your help with this--
IXix

Post by IXix »

dukajoe wrote:Is it a big deal to compile for 64-bit buzz?
I had a try a while ago but it's more complicated than most machines and I couldn't get it to build. That's not to say that it can't be done but at this time I don't have the knowledge, time, skills or hardware to do it myself. Sorry :(.
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

Thanks so much for doing this! I will try it out as soon as possible. It might be a few days before I get the chance but wanted to thank you in the meantime :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

etruscan wrote:Thanks so much for doing this! I will try it out as soon as possible. It might be a few days before I get the chance but wanted to thank you in the meantime :)
You're welcome. Let me know if you still have problems opening the GUI. I'm hoping it will just work since I'm not sure why it was broken. :)
etruscan

Post by etruscan »

etruscan wrote:Thanks so much for doing this! I will try it out as soon as possible. It might be a few days before I get the chance but wanted to thank you in the meantime :)
I've just tried it and no GUI errors - thank you!!! So much for 'a few days', but better 5 months late than never I guess :oops: Now I just need to decipher how the hell my big, convoluted script works, and I can get back to Launchpad mashing :D