REQ: Support for multiple midi devices at once

rktic

REQ: Support for multiple midi devices at once

Post by rktic »

I'd love being able to use multiple midi controllers in Buzz. I already tried to workaround it using good old midi patch cables throughout all devices but it's a dead end now with the purchase of an iPad. Atm i have to switch between devices all the time and it seems that Buzz is a bit in trouble with that (forgetting mappings etcpp).

Any chance for enabling support for multiple controller at once?
thOke

Re: REQ: Support for multiple midi devices at once

Post by thOke »

did you try midi matrix ?

http://www.hermannseib.com/miditrix.htm
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Do you have the latest Polac stuff installed?

For Midi In from any installed device, go to machine view and type "i i" - load Polac MIDI In
For Midi Out to any installed device, start typing the name of the device you want to send to ...

EDIT II:
  • Polac Midi In works as expected for input from any installed MIDI device.
    Polac -> MIDI -> Name-of-Device brings up a VSTi that ... may not be functioning as it is supposed to.
EDIT III: Yeah, I'm pretty sure the MIDI out stuff is well broken (unable to send MIDI data, device names come out messed up ...). /me goes to PM Polac ...

EDIT IV: revised to make more useful, including erasure of unhelpful EDIT I.
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

thOke wrote:did you try midi matrix ?

This. I use MidiTrix along-side Buzz all the time. I have three controllers.

Would love if Buzz had multiple midi inputs in preferences/options though (instead of just one).
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Evelon wrote:

I didn't realize my choice of names for my program was already taken :(

Looks like a nice, relatively easy-to-use alternative / complement to MIDI-Ox.

Interestingly, my program will actually let you do most of what MidiTrix will (plus a lot more, of course :ugeek: ).
Now I'm thinking of adding some sort of Sysex module ...
Would love if Buzz had multiple midi inputs in preferences/options though (instead of just one).
Suppose that would be nice, but then again at least Polac has made it pretty easy to use multiple MIDI input devices. You can even use his MIDI In with WASAPI etc. (for MIDI Out, you need to be using a Polac audio driver).

I checked with him about not being able to get his MIDI Out stuff to work. Came down to the fact that I had changed my virtual cable setup - fixed by doing Preferences -> Global 2 -> Scan Shell.

There's also a nice little VSTi that works pretty well, btw -- http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiOut
rktic

Post by rktic »

Thanks for those helpers. Still hope for proper midi device support one day but til then these solutions are a big step forward already!
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Evelon wrote:

My Roland finally got back from repairings, but pitch bend stick needs to be replaced. So now I have 3, too. And I intend to attach USB joystick to control some aspects of sound - instead of bender, but honestly - first I have no idea how to setup it and second it makes four MIDI devices to handle at the same time...
Three devices connected to their respecive machines it is one thing but using joystick to control one of them it will be pain in ass, I expect...
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

Mu_ wrote:
Three devices connected to their respecive machines it is one thing but using joystick to control one of them it will be pain in ass, I expect...
there was some promise of being able to do things like this using glovePIE but it pretty much died after everyone got sick of making wiimotes do fancy things like control the mouse or trigger scenes in ableton. I tried writing some scripts with it to control soft synths with a ps2 remote but since the scripting language itself doesn't correspond to any other language and there's very little support or help for it I didnt get too far.

tinga has some great examples of generative music made with an xbox controller, but to my knowledge the way he does it might be a pain the ass (as you mentioned) to do with hardware.

It would be super sweet to be able to use more than one midi controller at a time with buzz. even controlling multiple buzzmachines with one midi controller would be cool. there is a way to do this with ix split but it doesnt always work the way i expect it to. I know at it's heart buzz is a tracker and not really geared toward this type of thing, and as such is not really designed for people who like having a desk covered in keyboards and making music with the monitor turned off occasionally.

maybe we can start a kickstarter campaign to get someone to implement this? money is a great motivator, i know i'd pitch in :mrgreen:
mute

Post by mute »

Polac MIDI In and Polac MIDI Out are the solutions for now. Someone mentioned MIDI Out being "broken", that's incorrect.. I use it nearly daily for clock and midi note/cc. Got a room full of sequencers here. Some interfaces can't share the device, so if you have it selected in Buzz's MIDI Out preferences, unselect it. My devices (newer midi sport 4x4 and older midisport 2x2) have always worked flawlessly with Buzz/PMidi/PAsio.

I 100% agree we need native multiple midi-in device support.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

mute wrote:Polac MIDI In and Polac MIDI Out are the solutions for now. Someone mentioned MIDI Out being "broken"
That was me - MIDI Out was out of whack for me because I changed my virtual cable setup. Frank pointed me to the fix: Prefs/Global 2 -> Scan Shell.