Buying touchscreen laptop - useful for buzz?

mik82

Buying touchscreen laptop - useful for buzz?

Post by mik82 »

I haven't used buzz for a while - mainly as I use linux on a netbook
I'm going to buy an asus vivobook s200 (reasonably cheap 11.6" touchscreen with core i3 and 4gb ram) to replace the netbook as the atom is struggling with video streaming at times. Planning on sticking an SSD in it and dualbooting.
Would this run buzz acceptably? From what I remember it was always quite efficient. I'll be using my VSTi collection from about 5yrs ago too rather than anything more modern. Would the touchscreen work well with all the sliders?
mantratronic

Re: Buying touchscreen laptop - useful for buzz?

Post by mantratronic »

I used a similar laptop with only 2gb ram for over 2 years with buzz, was fast until i started using 4 corona vsts and joachip's jupiter 3.1. but polac's vst wrapper can render audio now, so even with large vsts you can still work one vst at a time. i didnt find the touchscreen much use tbh, but thats partly cause i use keyboard shortcuts more.

(the ssd will rock your world though :)
mik82

Post by mik82 »

As an update - bought one today.
Windows 8 is pretty confusing - I'm not sure that the blend of tablet-style OS and desktop works. The metro UI is pretty good with the touchscreen but if I wanted "apps" rather than "programs" then I'd have bought a tablet.
I installed a replacement start menu (classic shell) and everything works in a more familiar way.

Buzz works well with the Core i3 - I'm impressed with the new Qsamo synth. A simple patch using 4 voices seemed to use about 3-4% CPU. Buzz itself has definitely evolved a bit since last used. The touchscreen may have some use for live twiddling but the sliders are a bit too close together on machine interfaces for easy use. A multitouch peer controller with larger sliders could be very useful!

Next step will be the SSD!
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

mik82 wrote: Buzz works well with the Core i3 - I'm impressed with the new Qsamo synth. A simple patch using 4 voices seemed to use about 3-4% CPU. Buzz itself has definitely evolved a bit since last used. The touchscreen may have some use for live twiddling but the sliders are a bit too close together on machine interfaces for easy use. A multitouch peer controller with larger sliders could be very useful!
qsamo is brilliant :) try the new random stuff with it :geek:

and that peer button idea been on my todo list for a looooooong time. :D