resampling issue with hard disc recorder

szaszhareen

resampling issue with hard disc recorder

Post by szaszhareen »

I just spent some time resampling a loop through various effects and recording different versions using the record loop function of the hard disk recorder. these all sounded normal when i recorded them, but when i play them back in wavetable view or through the same signal path in which i resampled them, they're very quiet and distorted. when i try to compress them or add gain to make them audible they start to sound worse.

is there a better way to resample in buzz which will ensure that the new samples have the same volume and audio quality of the source audio?
mcbpete

Re: resampling issue with hard disc recorder

Post by mcbpete »

Now that it's working again I suggest trying cng recorder for that sort of thing - http://www.buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=770
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

cool - i'm trying this now. the volume and audio quality are spot on, but in my attempt to record qsamo playing c4 for 16 ticks, I'm left with a sample that, on playback, is about 4 ticks long and a detuned by a few notes. Is there a buzz setting I need to change, or specific waveout driver to use to address this?

mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Ooh, it looks like it might not be 48khz compatible (or whatever sample rate you're running buzz at) - didn't realise that was the case and thought it was fine at all sample rates.... As for the second bit you can set the length of the recording (and what waveslot it's recording to) by making a pattern for the machine and setting the required parameters in the editor
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

at 44100, i set the record length to 0010, or 16 ticks, but the sample is only about 4 ticks long. strangely it is slightly longer if i set record length to 0008, or 8 ticks. :shock: :?:

sometimes it does not record to the wave slot at all, even if the record trigger is set to 1.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Hmm something's very wrong here.

Try this example bmx. It's a Trilok ran through an SVerb with cng recording just the dry input for 64 ticks, the dry input then gets played using Matilde though a ninja: http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/cng.bmx
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

thanks for the example! i can confirm from this that i had the commands correct in the cng pattern. no idea why i had the intermittent problem where it wasn't recording at all. I'll keep trying. :)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

I've just confirmed through experimentation that HD recorder records and renders wavs at -9db (compared with the buzz source audio). for the time being i'm just adding gain, but does anyone have ideas for preventing this? is it a buzz issue or could it be something with my sound card? :?:
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

szaszhareen wrote:I've just confirmed through experimentation that HD recorder records and renders wavs at -9db (compared with the buzz source audio). for the time being i'm just adding gain, but does anyone have ideas for preventing this? is it a buzz issue or could it be something with my sound card? :?:
def. not a buzz issue, never seen this happen.
Joachip

Post by Joachip »

"I just spent some time resampling a loop through various effects".
This sentence puzzles me a bit, but I guess you're using Buzz to process something and then render out the result? Not sure where the resampling comes it though. Anyway check out what you're doing with those effects. The harddrisk recorder itself doesn't change the audio at all. (And no, I've never seen it reduce the volume by 9 dB unless you've set the master volume slider to -9 dB.)
xlorite

Post by xlorite »

it might be the same thing that's happening to me. i've noticed it while recording multitrack (never needed it before but now i'm exporting to another daw) some tracks are ok and some are slower/out of sync :cry: the audio plays ok while recording and even single wav is recorded flawlessly. but multitrack is out of sync... but i don't think that any resampling takes place because the driver is set to 44100 and samples are in 44100. i have no clue what kind of black magic is this but it would be great to get some help from you guys. oh and i encounter this problem using sgorpi mtw. i will make a new topic about it and post some samples tomorrow
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

@joachip: when i say "resample" i mean it in the hardware sense - create some audio, send it through some effects, render the result and then process the new sample through other effects, rinse and repeat. it's probably either a driver issue or, as you say, something wierd with one of the effects. i usually have the volume slider set to the left of it's maximum limit to keep things from clipping, so maybe i need to bring the whole mix down to where i can record at max master volume.

i actually just tried this with qsamo, and the problem indeed seems to be that i'm recording with the volume slider at less than max. bit of a facepalm moment. :roll:
xlorite

Post by xlorite »

so it seems that my problem is another thing. checked wavs in editor and it looks like buzz records some of the tracks with latency of 100ms. :x