reese bass how to advice

szaszhareen

reese bass how to advice

Post by szaszhareen »

as much as i hate to post a "how do i make this bass" topic here in the buzz support forum (there are thousands of them on the web and i feel like i've read them all), i'm having a serious bollocks moment where i'm ready to drop $200 i dont have into NI Massive simply because there's more support and tutorials for it. I've been trying to experiment with making a reese bassline in buzz for about 10 hours now (not counting the 6 months or more i've spent trying to do it on and off) and have gotten absolutely nowhere.

I think that basically I'm just looking for a machine with 3 oscs which can be detuned in cents, then add the effects needed to give the reese it's character. this appears to be the right track to get where i want to go but i could be wrong.

I've read a ton of posts/articles on how to do this, and the part where i struggle is trying to translate the basic ideas into what i can do with the buzz machines i have available.

here is psidream with "death sentence" as a good example of the type of reese i'm looking for.

give it a good listen because it evolves over the course of the song. the techniques to make this happen are fairly well documented, it's the base place to start from with the reese that i'm having trouble creating with buzzmachines.

i've studied the hell out of this and i know that i'm not going to just suddenly "psidream" the hell out of some bass, but i've been struggling for months on where to start doing this with buzz and it's been killing me. I'm ready to jump out of my window, but i live on the first floor, so that really wouldn't help.

i'd rather drop any spare money i have into the pockets of oskari and the devs who make the machines i use on a regular basis and keep using native buzzmachines for what i need to do than shave down my grocery budget to pot noodles and stale dreams in order to pay for licensed vsts.

I sincerely appreciate any pointers in the right direction that you guys can provide. :)
atavic

Re: reese bass how to advice

Post by atavic »

Aha. Listened to a reese bass, layered with big drums and a sine.
double07

Post by double07 »

It's just 2-3 detuned sine osc... I can't give you an example as I'm at work right now but I'll try to take a look tonight for you.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

havent tried but couldnt you use qsamo ? it has multiple oscillators which can be detuned from one another and then yeah run thru some filter and distortion ..possiby some chorus to fatten a bit . Im working on a cover of Prokofievs' "Dance of the Knights" right now and it occurs to me that it might sound cool with oboe part being reese bass .. ill give it a whirl !
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

if all else fails, try blok, shouldn't be too hard to get 3 osc detuned there. probably not sine tough, try something with more overtones.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

@syphilissauna: the oboe-reese is such a sick idea i got a little nauseous. nice! my attempts with qsamo were unsuccessful until tonight - i was limiting myself to the main sliders and just couldn't get it close to what i needed. it dawned on me to look at the other tabs up top, and under the attributes tab i find the unison voices. upped this from 0 to 3 and suddenly - huge fat sound. i think i'm on the right track now.

@unz: i've been trying with blok as well, set up the three saw oscs and detuned two against each other, tried adding other things, but it wasn't quite getting there. i think i've found what i need with qsamo though.

thanks for the suggestions guys! :mrgreen:
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

Voxengo boogex is a great crunchy distortion and if you want unison on any buzz synth you could use super faker. Both are VST fx of course. Otherwise for detuning you can use a few Tunamen.
Also there many great free VSTIs. I only use free VSTI and it's a lot more fun than being limited to buzz's native gens.
I use mostly my self made VSTIs but some great ones are DuneBE, Zebralette, z3ta+. oatmeal and synth1.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

aww man qsamo has quickly become my go to for almost any synth sound I could want . tho yeah started messing with this .. exciting ! most of the oboe parts are mid register so its not really like reese "bass" but yeah the detuned action is good times . shit sounds spaacey .
mik82

Post by mik82 »

How about the HotelSinus Reese Bassline VSTi?
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

Made some dirty templates some time ago :twisted:
Vacuum-Very_Dirty_Basss.zip
reese
(23.24 KiB) Downloaded 257 times
.. for music that is more fun to make than to listen to.. ;)
atavic

Post by atavic »

Thank you, Vacuum :!:

More :?:
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

vacuum wrote:Made some dirty templates some time ago :twisted:
Vacuum-Very_Dirty_Basss.zip
.. for music that is more fun to make than to listen to.. ;)
thanks! i'm missing a few machines but even without them this is exactly what i'm looking for. thanks for the all-buzzmachine examples! :D

do you know where to find "adist analog distortion"? it didn't show up on buzzmachines.com and is kind of a vague name.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

mik82 wrote:How about the HotelSinus Reese Bassline VSTi?
do you have a working link to this? vst.hotelsinus.com is no more. :(
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

szaszhareen wrote:do you know where to find "adist analog distortion"?
Ryg's analog distortion: http://buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=455
atavic wrote:More :?:
Another few basses:
Vacuum_Dirty_Bass.zip
(8.29 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
I aways use the voidbass II version with the skin with the dark grey squares, not the yellow light.

more voidbass II:
http://www.buzztunes.org/music/vacuum/sharp-void-bmx
http://www.buzztunes.org/music/vacuum/d ... oidbass-ii
(maybe use old buzz 1.2 for these)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Ryg's Analog Distortion has been crashing Buzz for several iterations of Windows and Buzz (at least for me).

But that's a side note...

You might check out the following free VSTis if Buzz machines won't do it for you:

Phutura
MiniMogueVA-TD and MiniMogueLUXUS-TD (the only difference is the stereo filter on the LUXUS)
TAL U-NO-62
Oatmeal

And I like to use the HD ChorD chorus, which might give you that detuning effect that you desire.
Bugmenot

Post by Bugmenot »

Found this tutorial and free VST download:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFvY930WQns
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

nice, thanks for sharing! :D