Which one first to buy? Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000?

Mu_

Which one first to buy? Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000?

Post by Mu_ »

Hi guys
I didn't purchase none of above yet.
But I think about it from some time ago.
What do you think which one will be more usefull for Buzz, Cubase and Ableton this one which have more knobs or that another with faders?
Currently I'm moving my workflow from Buzz to Cubase but I decided not to abandon Buzz because I think for electronic music, ostinatos, patterns etc it will be quicker, easier and better. For orchestral music with a lot of instruments and sections to handle and polyphonic midi edition as well corrections using music notation Cubase will be the best shot. I mangle a little with Ableton, but lack of music score abilities makes me to not relay on this programm so much. I don't want to have to move all my work from Ableton to Cubase as I do now with Buzz.
So which Berhinger would you recommend first?
Cheers
Mu.
Tiadiad

Re: Which one first to buy? Behringer BCF2000 or BCR2000?

Post by Tiadiad »

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you will be using it mostly for mixing channels, the one with the faders will work out better. If you're looking to assign a bunch of parameters to your controller to tweak live, I'd get the knobs. For Ableton I'd get the knobs one, and also a lot of producers tape so you don't forget what is assigned where:) still, the knobs one seems a little bit more versatile. Look into Livid controllers too, they're expensive, but you can get the best out of two worlds, especially with their Controllr.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Faders allow you to easily manipulate more than 2 parameters at a time, but knobs do not. I use my Kurzweil PC3 faders a lot in Buzz.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

Weird... can't you assign the same two parameters to a knob as you do with a fader? I thought a knob is a fader who twists.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Yes but faders allow you to operate more parameters independently. It takes some getting used to but you can (in theory) load up 4 different filter modules and control the cutoff and resonance from each (8 fingers). Although I am usually only operating 2 filters on one hand and playing keyboard with the other. There is some fun stuff you can do when operating 4 parameters at a time.
Tiadiad

Post by Tiadiad »

They are the same thing. I don't think there is any difference. With faders it is easy to see where you are at, some knobs don't have any line indicating what value you're hitting. I always wanted to assign a ton of parameters to just one knob to make it into a sort of KNOB OF DOOM!!! It's a matter of preference. Faders are no different from knobs except for feel and size. Mridlen has a great point though, you can't use just one finger on a knob.
elekt

Post by elekt »

I looked at the same gear, skipped both. I don't trust a motorized anything from behringer. Got an mpd32 instead, but then I added a little korg controller for extra params (pretty cheap build). If yours were the only 2 choices, I'd go for rotary encoders, less things to break.

Also mantratronic has a machine in the works that might make midi binding more... ummmm pleasant. ;)
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

elekt wrote:
Also mantratronic has a machine in the works that might make midi binding more... ummmm pleasant. ;)

tell me more! :lol:

can't wait to see what he comes up with.
elekt

Post by elekt »

I don't know what it's gonna be like, but I expect it will solve all my problems.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

elekt wrote:I don't know what it's gonna be like, but I expect it will solve all my problems.
it will also solve world hunger... if i ever get the f&*&*!@$*((@#$&&#@ing GUI working.
elekt

Post by elekt »

I knew it.
Mu_

Post by Mu_ »

elekt wrote:[...]
Yummie... Can't wait...
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

will it allow binding midi to more than one machine? it would be so great to play notes on qsamo and, for example, control peerctrl with the knobs on my midi controller AT THE SAME TIME!!!1. we can sort of do this already, or make workarounds, but it would be sick if it was more straightforward.

this type of functionality would probably give me some sort of happiness conniption.