Modular MIDI Mogrifying Madness

snowglobe

Modular MIDI Mogrifying Madness

Post by snowglobe »

Quick and dirty demo video that will probably just confuse you.

EDIT: Installer with Java JRE bundled
  • Download
    unzip
    click on Midi_Mogrifier.jar (requires Java)
    try the tutorials (menu bar >> Usage & Reference)
Virtual MIDI cables, if you don't already have them: http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html
Last edited by snowglobe on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
szaszhareen

Re: Modular MIDI Mogrifying Madness

Post by szaszhareen »

damn, i'm speechless. this looks insane!
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

Awesome work (as usual), Snowglobe!
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote:this looks insane!
Exactly my feeling about it after I stopped coding and starting trying to write the documentation (which is only about a third of the way finished at this point).
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Just finished the Guide page for Counters, which are like IX Accumulators combined with Intox 8n and Peer Chord and KoDream Improv ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Code: Select all

Counters
A 'counter' in MM is an ordered set of translation rules, such as

0   <2_4>   MM(selection+1)   [c4|rest]  

Like Step Translators, counters walk through their rules one-by-one as they are triggered and then loop back to the beginning once the end of the set is reached.  Unlike a Step Translator, however, a counter can:

count (that is, keep track of the number of times it has been 'hit')
        be constructed so as to cease operating after a specified number of hits
        remember what trigger was the very first one received and reference that note in translation rules  (<<0, <<-1, <<5,  etc)
        respond to special commands embedded within its rules
                count+n (skip forward n items)
                count-n (jump backward n items)
                restart (jump back to the first item)
                reset  (reset the counter to zero and jump back to the first item)
                end  (cease to accept triggers)

Counter definitions take the general form  

label:  @(zone) rule_one   rule_two ... rule_n   max(number-of-hits-at-which-to-stop)

Example:

my_counter:  @(c4:d6)   c#4  [rest|(-2,0,4)]  [restart|<0_2>]  0  [2:4|count-2]   max(100)  

In addition to a zone rule that is global to all items of a counter, each item of a counter can have its own zone rule as well, if the item is a lexical reference with a zone rule in its definition (see the Lexicon section of this guide)  

my_counter:      lexical_item_with_zone_rule_one     lexical_item_with_zone_rule_two      

Counters may be created by choosing 'Add' from the right-click menu of the Counter Manager or any Counting Translator module.  All counters are global in scope, i.e., once created, they can be invoked in the translation rules of any Translator module.  

A translation rule references a counter by prefixing its name with a percent symbol (%).   

%my_counter

A counter can reference other counters, such as in this hypothetical definition for my_counter 

my_counter:  (0,2,6)   %nested_counter    <-2_0_4>    %another _nested_counter  

The Counter Manager provides a display of all defined counters, updated in real-time, showing:
        hit count
        zone rule
        max hits spec  (-1 if no max)
        current rule (highlighted in yellow)

magmavander

Post by magmavander »

:shock: :o Abolutely amazing stuff! A giant step :)
IXix

Post by IXix »

You're clearly insane. It's kinda sorta similar to something I've been working on forever but thankfully quite different. :)
tinga

Post by tinga »

Inspiring work, it seems that we have similar "research" with algo music, but I stay in buzz, I can't code :( , anyway peer machines are insane.
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

IXix wrote:You're clearly insane.
Documentation completed. I defy anyone to download and run the latest build, open the Usage Guide, read through all of the information in the tabs under 'Concepts & Features in Detail' and then not agree that some type of insanity was afoot in the making of this thing.

Anyway, one thing I originally set out to do was to get square with Java coding, and that's accomplished.
And even if no one else ever ends up taking the time to look past the ugly (regex-ish) aspects of this beast to see how versatile (and easy to use, actually) it really is ( :cry: ) at least I will put it to good use.
(Hey, I was doing a little bit of pseudo-busking with it during a yard sale just the other day, so that's a start right there, enit? :lol: )

Well. thanks for the responses, y'all. After I wrap up a few final details (legal disclaimers and whatnot) Ima go off and find MM a home on SourceForge or somesuch place and then put the word out on KVR and reddit ...
Last edited by snowglobe on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reefer Sutherland

Post by Reefer Sutherland »

Amazing work! This is something to be proud of :)

My intitial impressions is that featurewise, this is something I could see myself using all the time, for everything.. Lots of useful modules.
But, the fact that its a separate program and not a buzz machine, makes it a bit less appealing for me to use.
I've gotten to used to using peer machines to do the initial triggers and such, trying to use the mogrifyer in that setup would be tedious, I think.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i downloaded midi_mogrifier.jar, but it didn't open when i double clicked on it. is there some special java-fu i have to use to run it?
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote:i downloaded midi_mogrifier.jar, but it didn't open when i double clicked on it. is there some special java-fu i have to use to run it?
Did you get any kind of error message, or just the "Windows can't open this file" dialog that you get when the OS doesn't recognize the file extension? (Or maybe none of the above??)

I would have expected you to see a Java error if you have an outdated version of Java installed. Have you tried installing the latest JRE (Java Runtime Environment)?

<goes off to look into packaging a version that has a bundled JRE>
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

exe version with bundled Java Runtime 7

Customized icon, splash screen and everything!

(The exe file needs to stay in the folder with the jar file and everything else due to path information, but you can of course make a shortcut and move that wherever you like)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Google Drive does weird things with zip files, so I packaged everything up into an installer. (This is the exe version with JRE7 included).
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

good to see that you're still at it! I finally got round to trying to use this again, but can't install it. i'm pretty sure i'm using the latest installer, i used the link from the top post in this thread. I get the following error:

I tried installing it in a different directory, and got the same error message. any suggestions? I'm really looking forward to installing this thing and getting my mind even more bent than it already is. it looks ludicrous! :lol:
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

szaszhareen wrote:I tried installing it in a different directory, and got the same error message. any suggestions? I'm really looking forward to installing this thing and getting my mind even more bent than it already is. it looks ludicrous! :lol:
Argh! I used some random open source installer packager; seemed like it would work smoothly, but wouldn't you know it wouldn't.

That looks like a permissions problem, so a possible workaround would be to run the installer as administrator -- but you really shouldn't have to do that.

There' nothing special about the installer - it doesn't write anything to the registry or anything fancy like that - just basically acts as a self-extracting archive.

Maybe just see if you can get going with the zip (non-installer) version that includes the Java runtime? -- Following that link you might see a list of a bunch of files, but the download option should just grab the whole zip at once. Hopefully you'll be able to unpack that wherever you like without trouble.

I could also send you the zip via email or something - good luck, and let me know!
UNZ

Post by UNZ »

regular users can't write to c\program files\ so yeah the installer most definitively needs to run as administrator

or you can install it onto your desktop or whatever i guess.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

running as administrator worked. thanks! :D