New laptop, can't save tracks anymore

deusdiabolus

New laptop, can't save tracks anymore

Post by deusdiabolus »

My previous laptop suffered a CPU socket failure and I had to replace it, so I've gone from Windows 7 32-bit to Windows 8 64-bit. I copied my old Buzz directory over from the old hard drive and did the setup, but for some reason, I can't save any tracks now (it says it's unable to find them). I had the backup feature enabled previously and that wasn't able to save either. I have tried to disable the read-only folder permission, but it doesn't seem to take even though I am using the administrator account. I also went into the Security tab and enabled read/write access for General and Administrator, but that's not fixing it either.

I think I had this problem once before, but it's been so long that I forgot how to resolve it. I did some keyword searches both in DuckDuckGo and through these forums, but I can't find an answer.

So...how do I configure Buzz to save tracks again?
deusdiabolus

Re: New laptop, can't save tracks anymore

Post by deusdiabolus »

UPDATE: Figured out a cheap fix. I just copied the Songs directory into a subfolder of My Documents (copied so I have backups). Enh. It works. :roll:
esp81

Post by esp81 »

Were the tracks located in a program files folder by any chance? The newer versions of windows sometimes act strange when trying to save there.
deusdiabolus

Post by deusdiabolus »

Yes they were, and I have discovered from variations on my original search that I wasn't the only one having this issue with Windows 8.
esp81

Post by esp81 »

I think it's a problem with any Windows version after XP...something to do with the administrator privileges or write protection of program files. I started saving my songs in the root or desktop to avoid it.

Here is a thread at KVR with some info, they are talking about U-he products but the info is still somewhat relevant:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306890
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

The privileges in win 7 are a pain, but you can use a few of its features to make it usable.. Not sure about 8 as I haven't used it. The documents folder is probably the best place to put bmx's, and you can set up a Library to include the program directory too.

On a previous machine with win 7, I had my bmx's in a desktop folder connected in the Library too. But given the Templates directory is Documents\Buzz\Templates anyway, putting them in Documents is cleaner.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Due to issues with the ProteusVX VST, I have to run Buzz in administrator mode. I suspect that would also solve your problem.