Weird graphics issues just got even weirder

Mozart von Robot

Weird graphics issues just got even weirder

Post by Mozart von Robot »

I'll try to explain this as best I can...

Before the latest update (ever since re-installing Windows and Buzz):
* The bar at the top, with all the buttons and counters and such, was a bit enlarged. I never figured out why, but it looked like the icons had been stretched to fit a larger size setting (a setting I don't recall making at any point).
* When I would click the background in Machine View and type, to bring up the machine auto-search window, this window would appear somewhere other than where I clicked. If I'd click too far down or to the left or right, the search would appear off screen.
* Built-in pattern editor has over sized font, looks really weird.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing Buzz again last week. This made no difference. The issues persisted.

How it looks after the latest update (since today):
* The bar with the buttons appears to have shrunk down (although there still appears to be some stretching going on with the icons on the buttons), and the text on the time counters is still over sized, but the spacing is not proportional, so the numbers and letters are stuck together and hard to read. In fact, nearly all text in Buzz is like this now. Even the menus are hard to read. It seems only the title bar and machine names (on the machines, but not in the lists) are normally spaced (though I haven't looked absolutely everywhere).
* The quick search window still does that annoying thing it did before, so the only difference there is that now it's also barely readable.
* Built-in pattern editor still looks as weird as ever.

Anybody else having this problem? Anybody got the slightest clue what's causing it? Anybody know how to fix it?
I'm on Windows 7.
UNZ

Re: Weird graphics issues just got even weirder

Post by UNZ »

did you change your window's dpi settings ?

btw, a picture says a thousand words, make a screenshot.
Mozart von Robot

UNZ wrote:did you change your window's dpi settings ?
Not that I'm aware of. Is this the same as changing the resolution? With that, I'm at the highest setting, which is standard for my monitor, and everything outside of Buzz looks fine.
UNZ wrote:btw, a picture says a thousand words, make a screenshot.
Strangely, today it appears to be back to the old weird, so all I can get you is the "usual" weird. I can't show you how the quick search pops up far from the cursor, though, since cursors don't show up in screenshots, but here's the oversized top bar and built-in pattern editor:
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

Had exactly the same problem - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1010

The relevant solution being -
Found out the source of the problem / bug - because the resolution of my screen is so high (1920 x 1080 - the recommended resolution according to my graphics card) the text is a little too small for my vision so I put the text size of my screen to 125% (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display > Medium - 125%). When set at 125% I get the above display issue where the distance from the mouse pointer to text box increases depending on the XY position of the mouse, but when set at Small (100% default) it displays in the middle every time.
Mozart von Robot

mcbpete wrote:Had exactly the same problem - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1010

The relevant solution being -
Found out the source of the problem / bug - because the resolution of my screen is so high (1920 x 1080 - the recommended resolution according to my graphics card) the text is a little too small for my vision so I put the text size of my screen to 125% (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Display > Medium - 125%). When set at 125% I get the above display issue where the distance from the mouse pointer to text box increases depending on the XY position of the mouse, but when set at Small (100% default) it displays in the middle every time.
Thank you! For some reason, 125% is default for me. I never asked for that. Didn't even know about this function. I just now changed it to 100%, and it should take effect when I reboot or something; hopefully it'll fix the problem. Sounds like it should.

ETA: Yep! Problem entirely solved! Thank you so much!
Evelon

Post by Evelon »

Thanks for enlighting me about this "problem"! Now everything is smaller but crisper. Great on bigger screen and/or dual screen.

Funny enough, Firefox recently fucked up their display (with v.22) by "zooming in" on certain webpages, which made everything look wierd (blurry and un-intentionally crowded, webdesign-wise). Making it 100% fixed this issue too.