laptop died gotta resort to available hardware

syphilissauna

laptop died gotta resort to available hardware

Post by syphilissauna »

this feels sortve inappropriate but I feel justified in that the situation is : my laptop died , its dead lets not bring it up anymore ok ?
soo Ive decided that for the time being .. until I can afford something other then a craptop .. that ill use what hardware I have with some inexpensive add ons so that I can get as close as possible to the sequencing + live control that ive grown to become sadly , life threateningly dependent on thanks to all yall ..
so my set up is korg es-1 , korg esq-1 ,some circuit bent and other random gear .. and I plan on getting a mmt8 and also a few jl cooper master fader (old school version that goes for $50) so that I can somewhat mimic the live capabilities that I love about peer control . .. . any of you have any thoughts on other CHEAP hardware schemes I can do ? the problem is that I have shows coming up and no real way of buying a comparable laptop to the one I had in terms of processing power .. I write this on my girl friends sorta whack wal mart windows 8 machine ... anyways yeah any ideas any of you have .. thanks in advance .
strobotone

Re: laptop died gotta resort to available hardware

Post by strobotone »

that´s too bad. if the harddrive is still ok, remove it and test it on another device if possible.
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

nah tried checking it out using a sata to usb adapter (which Ive used in the past to save data ) to no avail ..
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

syphilissauna wrote:nah tried checking it out using a sata to usb adapter (which Ive used in the past to save data ) to no avail ..
Does it show up as raw file system or not at all?
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

it shows the drive but i cant see anything on it (or even see that it has anything on it by checking properties etc )
4516N41

Post by 4516N41 »

syphilissauna wrote:it shows the drive but i cant see anything on it (or even see that it has anything on it by checking properties etc )
Does it ask you to format the drive when you try to access the root? If so, does it show anything under File system in properties?

I've 2 hard drives that crashed and became raw instead of NTFS. I managed to salvage 99% of the files on one of the drives but nothing on the other one, so that's why I was wondering. But if you back up your files on regular bases it might not be worth the effort. If not, then it's a freaking bummer to say the least :(
syphilissauna

Post by syphilissauna »

well thankfully when my machine first started acting up I transferred everything to my gfs laptop I then wiped clean reinstalled windows etc ... was working fine and then my usb ports stopped functioning and computer wont boot up or even give me bios .. ive read a bit about this model of laptop having issues with over heating and cooking itself .. yah im bummed .. I was almost finished with this new album .. :(