MIDI control for buzzmachines?

sparschaeler

MIDI control for buzzmachines?

Post by sparschaeler »

Hi all

There are a number of fantastic buzz machines with great sounds. Unfortunately, their midi Setup / behaviour is tricky. Like e.g. the 4fm synth by madbrain. I love to randomize it.
I can only play it via midi through a tool like IX split, peerchord, etc.
If I want to modulate the sounds while playing, I can't do it, because the Focus is switching away from the IX.

I know I could set the IX to 'all' midi Inputs, but this will make it play also when I play other synths, which is what I don't want.

In short, is there a way to implement e.g. Qsamos midi handling to other machines?

Thanks
IXix

Re: MIDI control for buzzmachines?

Post by IXix »

sparschaeler wrote:If I want to modulate the sounds while playing, I can't do it, because the Focus is switching away from the IX.
You should be able to tweak the target machine and still play notes via Split using midi. Sounds like you need to turn off "master keyboard mode" or if not, you should be able to leave Split with the focus and manipulate the params of the target machine from the parameters tab in the sidebar.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Lock MIDI focus (the little lock icon next to the MIDI dropdown)

Holy crap can now play with all my Buzz machines using IXsplit :twisted:
xenobioz

Post by xenobioz »

mridlen wrote:Lock MIDI focus (the little lock icon next to the MIDI dropdown)
Wow! Did not now about that one. I wanted to have that for a long time and it was already there.

Does it get saved with templates or songs?
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

No, it's default of unlocked when you start Buzz, but it stays locked/unlocked even when switching songs (MIDI focus will not be set, but the lock/unlock will stay).

Now that I have my new laptop, I'm in the process of figuring out how to take Buzz to the live setting (previously been using an ipod type device).

I think by mapping things to IX Split and then setting those to midi channels, I can set the lock on something that doesn't make any sound, and then just switch midi channel to change presets. That way I just have to load up a song and hit play. If I want to map knobs on Buzz machines, I can use Peer Control. Is there a way to map the play button to a midi controller or key?
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

mridlen wrote: Is there a way to map the play button to a midi controller or key?
you can use ix transport alpha 2 for this. it lets you map play, stop, and record to midi cc values. :D

you can find the download link in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87 :geek:
sparschäler

Post by sparschäler »

folks - probably a stupid question. but which samplers (sgrid?) do support midi drumpads? any way to hook up utrk with a drumpad? would be awesome to trigger a sample and control retrig time with a slider
Dr3Tri

Post by Dr3Tri »

How do I map MIDI controller CC's to (any) plugins parameters with least amount of hassle?
Is there any text file to edit?

Task gets really nasty when there is more than just a few CC's to bind.. Like now when I want to map 64 parameters at once in Polac VST loader (with CTRLR controlling TX81Z).

I usually make a mistake at some phase which causes one knob to control two parameters at the same time.
As there is no option to unbind just one parameter AFAIK it's needed to "unbind all" to fix that one mistake and start over again. This happens practically every time.
Attachments
Bind vs unbind.png
mik82

Post by mik82 »

You could use Peerctrl instead of binding things directly.

This has several advantages - for example you can save a template with the Peerctrl bound to your midi controller, then whenever you start a new track you can assign things from within Peerctrl. This is much simpler, and easier to correct mistakes.
It also supports midi feedback if you've got illuminated dials/buttons or motorised sliders on the controllers - this works very well TouchOSC for example.
Dr3Tri

Post by Dr3Tri »

Thanks for suggestion, but my installation (64bit Windows 8, 32bit BUZZ) have problems with Peer -machines.. :roll:
After closing that attached error message, Peerctrl loads but nothing happens when trying to assign parameters.

--edit--
I found directions to register envelope.ocx .. trying it now

--edit-2--
..wasn't quite enough, but I found help from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1792&p=8359&hilit=e ... .ocx#p8359
..had to install this: BTDSys PeerCtrl (x86 dll only, static MFC) - 2014.04.08

It works now! I did some testing and got mapping CC's to PVST's parameters in different tracks done. :) 8-)
Attachments
peerctrl.JPG