sample grid midi out

syphilissauna

sample grid midi out

Post by syphilissauna »

hi i have a kind of strange question .. not at my studio right now so cant flesh it out so thought id preemptively ask..
I have a sp404 that id like to sequence with buzz . right now the only way i know to sequence it is to use polac midi out .. what id like to be able to do is load the group of samples id have on the 404 into sample grid so that i could work on the sequence on the bus etc and then when I get home just hook up the midi cable and bam the sequence is already done ..

anyone tried anything like this ?
szaszhareen

Re: sample grid midi out

Post by szaszhareen »

i've been screwing around with trying to get my ESX and buzz to work together for a while, with limited success. I haven't tried playing a pattern on samplegrid with note data from the esx, but will give it a shot and let you know what happens. samplegrid seems like a good fit for this (i actually hadn't thought of trying it until you mentioned it, so thanks:)), you just have to right click and hit midi setup and assign the notes your sp404 is sending to each of the sgrid's sample slots.

transport and clock have been my main headaches with this (the esx doesn't send transport data, it only receives it) but you might not have the same issues with the sp404.
szaszhareen

Re: sample grid midi out

Post by szaszhareen »

it works!

make sure buzz is responding to the midi signal from your sp404, then drop samplegrid in machine view. right click and set it to the midi input channel that your sp sends drums on, right click and hit midi setup, set the channel in the dialog, then hit the drum keys and follow the prompt to assign a midi note to each sample slot. load up your samples and hit play on the sp404, blam your pattern plays. :geek:

thanks for the idea of using sgrid, i hadn't really considered it until now but sgrid's midi setup is perfect for this. 8-)

recording the pattern from the sp404 into a buzz pattern is another story, i have no way to test it with the esx because it doesn't send transport data. if the sp404 does, then you might be able to get it working with ix transport alpha 2 so you can hit record/play from the sp404 and have buzz start recording at the same time.

if that doesn't work you could still record it as a drumloop sample.