Can I mute a pattern but play the synth?

mosis

Can I mute a pattern but play the synth?

Post by mosis »

Hi, often when writing a song I want to be able to temporarily mute a pattern, while playing the VST that is used in it, using the keyboard, so I can try out an alternate melody - is it possible to do this without deleting the pattern from the Sequence Editor temporarily?

i.e. there could be a button on the pattern editor next to 'play notes', which says 'ignore pattern data' or something, words to that effect, with its keyboard shortcut written next to it.
Joachip

Re: Can I mute a pattern but play the synth?

Post by Joachip »

By keyboard you mean PC keyboard, I reckon. I think the closest we can get here is to mute each "channel" in the pattern editor (click inside the red circles), then move to another channel (green circle) and use the Ctrl-0 trick to "lock" the cursor in place while experimenting. Once you got the right notes, press Ctrl-1 to unlock the cursor, type in stuff, then unmute the channels again.
But none of this will be half as nice as using a MIDI keyboard.

mosis

Post by mosis »

Hi Joachip, thanks very much for that solution, that works perfectly for me, and it's almost always in a melody or bass pattern that I need it, so I only have to mute one channel and move to the next, CTRL-0, and that's it, nice and easy.
polac

Post by polac »

If using pvst you can use the track selector in the settings viewto/mute unmute. Ctrl+LeftClick mutes a track Ctrl+LeftDoubleClick mutes/unmutes all tracks.
mosis

Post by mosis »

Hi Polac, thanks for that solution as well, that's really handy, as I normally use VSTs for just about everything in Buzz.
And can I just say a huge thank you for all the work you've done on the VST loader, it's incredible.