Suggestion: note preview in pattern editor

mosis

Suggestion: note preview in pattern editor

Post by mosis »

Hi, I've been playing with FL Studio for a few days and the good thing about the piano roll (and I much prefer a tracker) is that I can click the mouse anywhere and hear, and see, the note that is going to be played, and then only when I let go of the mouse button is the note laid on the track.
Would anybody find this sort of functionality useful in the Buzz tracker page? A sort of 'ghost' mode, which you turn on with a keyboard shortcut, and then you play notes, and see what the note is in the tracker, wherever your cursor is, as long as you hold the key down, and then you can turn off 'ghost' mode and then just press the same note again and have it actually entered into the track?
Joachip

Re: Suggestion: note preview in pattern editor

Post by Joachip »

This feature makes sense. I guess not all people are able to hear the note within before they press the key. Maybe some sort of toggle on/off hotkey to stop the pattern from accepting input would help people with this need.

PS: As a work-around, you can press Ctrl-0 (zero) to make the cursor stay where it is. It will still override the current position with whatever you play, but at least it will only overwrite one note. Once you found the right note, press Ctrl-1 to go back to normal editing mode (cursor goes down 1 tick after entering a note.)
Evelon

Re: Suggestion: note preview in pattern editor

Post by Evelon »

mosis wrote: Would anybody find this sort of functionality useful in the Buzz tracker page?
Totally!
I would also like a short audition preview (like 4/8 key) when transposing (shift +/-) a note, like many other DAWs have, to hear what note/pitch the current note-value has. It would be awesome in PVST and all machines.
edit: This could also be awesome when changing (or shift+plus/minus "transposing") sample slot number...or even changing tracker command values. Ohhh! Sweet. That's another idea I will add to my list of features.