Buzz workflow: tips and tricks

deusdiabolus

Buzz workflow: tips and tricks

Post by deusdiabolus »

I didn't find a thread like this in the search, so I thought it would be good to have a "share your tips and tricks for streamlining workflow in Buzz" thread.

So share your tips and tricks for streamlining workflow in Buzz. Please. :)
vacuum

Re: Buzz workflow: tips and tricks

Post by vacuum »

If I understand your question right,
(and to answer topics in other recent threads about integrating polacVST and mixers)

I would say that every person would like his own (based on buzz modularity)
startup bmx:

- a startup bmx on your desktop while double-clicked opens buzz the way you
would like to see it. (with the machines you usualy prefer)
- a theme (edited by yourself or not) enhances the experience.

I'll make an example machine view later...
elekt

Post by elekt »

vacuum wrote: - a startup bmx on your desktop while double-clicked opens buzz the way you
Good tip, having a start up bmx is very useful, saves a lot of time. Having midi devices, peer machines and mixers set up is my first project whenever there's a big change in the workflow (from machines like mixIO or new buzz features to new midi gear). Takes me a long time to get it right, but worth it. I think.
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i'd really like to see what others use as a startup template, i tried making one a while back and it just became overly complicated.

one thing that has helped me recently is making longer patterns and using the zoom slider in the new sequencer to zoom out so i can see the whole track as i'm working on it. when i first started i tended to use very short patterns and it became difficult to observe the song structure. use bigger patterns so you can look at the big picture, it will help you get out of that pigeonholed feeling and make it easier to decide where to go next.
mantratronic

Post by mantratronic »

szaszhareen wrote:i'd really like to see what others use as a startup template, i tried making one a while back and it just became overly complicated.
the 3 mix machines are mixio. the multi just has the limiter set. I often change the effect machines or the multi later on, but this allows me to seperate stuff from the beginning.
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

szaszhareen wrote:i tried making one a while back and it just became overly complicated.
..happens to me also :) I made a very complicated startup-bmx 2 days ago, while there were just 2 effects applied.

Years ago, my startup-bmx was called 5 x MTrk, and my first song had the same name after that :( ,
so I have to back-up my bmx via xml-template in case I overwrite it :lol:

a start up bmx would, imo, have this:
-something to connect to before the master (so you can replace, or put effects in between), so you don't have to re-connect everything.
-machines you use almost every time.
-"wet-only" machines (fx sends) with a seperate "dry-only" machine (a do-nothing, which should be MT Nada, I guess)

maybe this too:
-mixIO combined with patternXP to hide parameters can give a very overviewable pattern-editor for automation of
gain/mute/pan while still inertia parameters are accessible via GUI/parameterview.

Maybe this gives an idea:
startup-bmx
startup-bmx
The HALYverb and the PhatMan are rightclicked to be wireless and connected to the mixIO, while the Nada Dry is for the dry part of input.
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

mantratronic wrote:Image
the 3 mix machines are mixio. the multi just has the limiter set. I often change the effect machines or the multi later on, but this allows me to seperate stuff from the beginning.
I see that when you connect to the delay mix, you have both the delay + reverb, while the other connection has only reverb.

I had also the idea of putting MT Nada's together to be able to mute/wireless/gain without accessing other views then
machineview to experiment and/or finally even make automation, because (I think I remember) mute's are volume-ramped now.
elekt

Post by elekt »

Starter bmx.

Three peerCtrls (with midi assigned to 8 volume knobs with 8 pan knobs + 8 volume faders + 8 volume faders, with 8 solo and 8 mute buttons for each of the volume controls), controlling three mixIOs (8 channels each).
Then compressor, inspector vst, master. Sometimes there's a slight high pass filter before the inspector to cut out lows, some compressors can do interesting and weird things with bass. Also I like bass too much. One mixIO is usually for percussion stuff, the other two for everything else.

Nothing special other than midi assignments really, but very useful.
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

Neatly organized left to right, top to bottom, put a mixIO in there somewhere, and then to my mastering chain, and then master on the right. Nothing too fancy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jacxdlp0o1ak ... %20v34.png
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

:o

my computer would probably explode if i loaded this XD. very cool!

thanks guys for the startup examples, very cool. :)
mridlen

Post by mridlen »

It tops out my AMD 1090T, but my i7 laptop runs it at about 70% CPU.
vacuum

Post by vacuum »

a few other (less obvious) tips:

Machineview:

- doubleclick on mousewheel: centering and zooming to zoom level 0

- settings -> machine view -> ZoomMouseGesture: ctrl + mousewheel
and only use the vertical view-space to put machines
(I thought this would be a handicap, but being limited to scroll only
up and down can be more comfortable, while still being able to use
the ctrl key for usual use)

- select multiple machines and use alt + mousedrag to move machines
in another way (use mousedrag to place machines in a corner and then
alt + mousedrag to turn the selection upside down/ left right)

new sequencer view:

- set time signature (rightclick) to be able to use patterns that can be
shifted 8 ticks (unlike usual 16 ticks) like a higher resolution grid (so in fact not changing timesignature)

- set tpb to 2 and use pattern xp (Columns) to get the same result as using tpb 4 or 8
(wouldn't be handy for everyone/ in every case, ofcourse)

- use colored dummy patterns (with lengths like 64 or 128 ticks) to see easier where the next 4 or 8 measures
start

- editing themes: use patterns with low contrast, while contrast gets higher when using more and more patterns
(to have a nicer, overviewable look)

old (and new) pattern view:

- hold ctrl + T (while not let go !) and mouse clicks to paste current parameter values (speeds up the past process)
- new pattern view: past current parameter values to the selected dots by using ctrl + T
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

vacuum wrote:If I understand your question right,
(and to answer topics in other recent threads about integrating polacVST and mixers)

I would say that every person would like his own (based on buzz modularity)
startup bmx:

- a startup bmx on your desktop while double-clicked opens buzz the way you
- a theme (edited by yourself or not) enhances the experience.

I'll make an example machine view later...
I thought about doing this at some point, but I wonder if this doesn't push you into the same direction every time.
I like how I sometimes need a machine and they just look in the index (search mostly) and try something I haven't used before. I like being surprised by something I haven't used before.
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

szaszhareen wrote:i'd really like to see what others use as a startup template, i tried making one a while back and it just became overly complicated.

one thing that has helped me recently is making longer patterns and using the zoom slider in the new sequencer to zoom out so i can see the whole track as i'm working on it. when i first started i tended to use very short patterns and it became difficult to observe the song structure. use bigger patterns so you can look at the big picture, it will help you get out of that pigeonholed feeling and make it easier to decide where to go next.
True,
it's funny how the length of your pattern influences the song.

I noticed that longer patterns just make me write longer pieces.
E.g. for beats. If it's only 16 long I'll have a more repetitive tune than when I double the size.
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

mridlen wrote:Neatly organized left to right, top to bottom, put a mixIO in there somewhere, and then to my mastering chain, and then master on the right. Nothing too fancy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jacxdlp0o1ak ... %20v34.png
omg,
I don't think I ever used that many instruments/machines.

I tend to be on the minimal side when I see some people's bmx's. :shock:
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

This is a hard one. For one, I think getting really good with the keyboard shortcuts is a must. I still find myself using the mouse to switch views when I should use the f-keys. I think that saving your projects in a breadcrumb trail after every change improves work flow, because it gives you the freedom to branch your project and you don't have to worry about messing anything up.

One thing I'm focusing on right now is i'm reorganizing all my files according to the tones I used in them, so that I can undertake the project of putting all the sounds I've built into templates.

I also want to do the opposite thing and get all my files organized according to what the music itself is like irrespective of tone. I have a lot of unfinished projects!