multiple midi controller profiles

szaszhareen

multiple midi controller profiles

Post by szaszhareen »

i've got two usb midi controllers that i'm messing with right now, and i'd like to be able to select them in preferences and have buzz remember the knob assignments. is this possible?

for example, right now i've got an oxygen 25 key controller with 8 knobs, a modwheel, and a slider. i've also got a numark stealth control with a whole bunch of knobs and buttons. if i select one of these in preferences, buzz assumes that all of the most recent knob/slider assignments are still valid, instead of recognizing that the oxygen controller only has 8 knobs while the numark controller has like 24 different sliders and knobs.

is there a way to set different controller profiles so i can switch back and forth, without having to make buzz re-learn the controllers each time?
elekt

Re: multiple midi controller profiles

Post by elekt »

buzz assumes that all of the most recent knob/slider assignments are still valid
Do you mean in a bmx? Or in buzz preferences?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your setup all the way, but the controllers should be programmed so there's no overlap in CC numbers. Easy way to do it is put one of them on a different midi channel.

Edit: the simple answer is no, buzz, in preferences, will only take one midi in port. But one way to get around this with usb-only midi stuff is to use a virtual midi driver, which basically takes multiple midi ports and presents them to Buzz as one. I use Midi Ox/Midi Yoke when I have to, but there's a bunch of other ones, like LoopBE.

And another edit: If you don't want to mess with virtual midi cables and you literally want to switch sets of CC controllers, using one controller at a time only, I made a tool based on Joachip's buzz knob assigner that deletes all your old CCs and writes your new ones. It assumes you know what your CC numbers are for the hardware, it's here: http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/buzz/buzzknob/
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i meant in buzz preferences. I only need to use one controller at a time right now, so buzzknob should prove to be quite useful, thanks! :)
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

I think you need to add your MIDI controllers as MIDI input devices in buzz.
I did the same thing with 2 Nano Korg controllers a while ago.

It's explained here on the wiki:
http://buzzwiki.robotplanet.dk/index.ph ... uring_Buzz

Assigning all the knobs is a tedious job, but I learned that Joachip has a little tool for that right here:
http://www.robotplanet.dk/audio/buzz-knob-assigner.php

It generates a Windows registry file that you can import to get at least the number of knobs right to start with. Saves some time editing and naming them.
I wish these came pre-configured for some common controllers, but I guess you can't have it all. :)
elekt

Post by elekt »

n3wjack wrote:Saves some time editing and naming them.
That's why I made this little utility.
This:
Gives you this :

It deletes or writes directly to registry, so Buzz needs to be restarted after deleting or writing controllers.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

@ elekt: this seems to be a quite useful machine, but when I tried to execute it I got an error message, it seems to me as if it is a 64bit-exclusive application ... :?: Is there any chance u or someone else makes a 32bit port of it :?:
elekt

Post by elekt »

Try this one: http://alvk.net/punks/BuzzKnob.zip
Let me know if it works.

P.S. I haven't checked for issues on a win32 registry, I don't know anymore if there'd be any problems. I'll post the code if anyone wants it.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

(especially) @ elekt: Thank you very much for giving it a try and post a 32-bit version ... I checked it out yesterday evening, but as I'm working via Internetcafe I post now ...
I could see the nice icon-work you did, but again I got an error message which said it would be not a real 32-bit windows application ... but it seems a problem of my outdated Win XP-system, if this is so, I beg your pardon ...

I took dependency walker (a tool someone always recommends in this forum in such cases) and got the message that your program misses two dll-files on my system:

DWMAPI.DLL and EFSADU.DLL

I don't know if they come with .NET or WIN7 or some other prog' I miss ... anyway, many thanks for your efforts to make your program work on 32-bit systems ...

Perhaps some others can check it out, or help telling me what else I have to install to get it work ... ? This would be much appreciated.

Hope you stay one of the :ugeek: of Buzz ...
elekt

Post by elekt »

I'll be on the road for a couple of days, I'll see if I can get around the problem when I get back. Thanks for the useful feedback.
elekt

Post by elekt »

OK, here's another version that apparently runs in xp in a vm, let me know if it works.
http://alvk.net/punks/BuzzKnob32.exe
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

@ elekt: :D Woooooooowwww ... thank you ... this version works for me ... I tried to assign some midi-knobs and everything went fine, found them in Buzz similar to the picture you posted above have tested it with 2p-filter ... awesome work ... my system rebooted with no problem, so the registry seems to be fine ...
I also deleted the entries ... still the registry worked fine ... only thing was, that I could not see the entries in the name field of the controller in your application after rebooting my pc, but it seems to be alright and I can definately work with the version you offered ...

So again: thank you very, very much for the time and the work you invested to make this thingy possible and even work on 32-bit Win XP ... you are :ugeek:
elekt

Post by elekt »

:) You're welcome. I'll take another look in a few days for this:
could not see the entries in the name field of the controller in your application after rebooting my pc
And maybe add presets.
Buzztler

Post by Buzztler »

:)