Can I do this? (MIDI question)

sleepzzz

Can I do this? (MIDI question)

Post by sleepzzz »

I have an Akai LPK25 sitting unused (a simple midi keyboard) and have never used MIDI with Buzz. I was wondering if it was possible to set the keys to enter values (like 0, 10, 20, A0, etc) instead of notes? I want to use like this in Fuzzpilz Unwieldy Tracker with the Offset values because I liked to load 1 minute of audio at a time and skip around in offset instead of editing the sample. Is this possible?

Thank you.
snowglobe

Re: Can I do this? (MIDI question)

Post by snowglobe »

sleepzzz wrote:I have an Akai LPK25 sitting unused (a simple midi keyboard) and have never used MIDI with Buzz. I was wondering if it was possible to set the keys to enter values (like 0, 10, 20, A0, etc) instead of notes? I want to use like this in Fuzzpilz Unwieldy Tracker with the Offset values because I liked to load 1 minute of audio at a time and skip around in offset instead of editing the sample. Is this possible?
Yes, it is possible. Here are two ways:

(1) PyBuzz

Code: Select all

from buzz import *

def OnMidiNote(channel,value,velocity):
    if value == 48:
    	SendPeerCtrlChange(0, 0, 0xA000)

SetEventTarget("OnMidiNote",OnMidiNote)
(2) Use an IX Split to trigger IX Accumulators that are set to the various offsets.
Edited to add that in this case, you won't be able to route note values to the Accumulator triggers (IX Accumulator doesn't have a note parameter!); instead, route *velocity* values to the triggers. Works a treat!
Edited again to say "Hold on. Maybe *not* a treat." (getting spotty results)
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

Turns out you can leave Split out of it entirely because IX Accumulator automatically has its own Split thing going on in the Attributes -- set the MIDI Trigger Base to whatever you want the trigger note to be; Accumulator ignores all other notes.
IXix

Post by IXix »

snowglobe wrote:Turns out you can leave Split out of it entirely because IX Accumulator automatically has its own Split thing going on in the Attributes -- set the MIDI Trigger Base to whatever you want the trigger note to be; Accumulator ignores all other notes.
Actually the trigger base note triggers track 0. So if you set the attribute to 60 then track 1 would be triggered by note 61, track 2 by note 62 etc.
sleepzzz

Post by sleepzzz »

Sorry to reply late. I've been busy with final exams and have had no time to Buzz until today. I'm confused by the responses. Does it work? Since I've never tried MIDI with Buzz, I don't know if I am doing this correct. I opened the Peer Accumulator (I've never used this machine before) and assigned it to Utrk's Offset. Then I tried various settings of the Attributes>Midi options and the MIDI input channel. Nothing happened. I don't really know what else to do with it. LOL

Is it possible to attach a BMX with this set up already so I can study it? I have extremely basic knowledge of peer machines, so I don't really know what can do what.

Thank you for your help so far. I appreciate it!
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

sleepzzz wrote:Is it possible to attach a BMX with this set up already so I can study it?
accumulator-to-unwieldy-offset.bmx

MIDI notes 36 - 39 each move the Unwieldy's Track 0 sample to a particular offset (as determined by the Accumulator's Val A parameters, since the tracks are all set to "Use A" mode).

To set things up so that the Akai was just moving the offset (but not triggering output from the Unwieldy) you could have the Accumulator and the Unwieldy listening to different MIDI channels.

Either that, or you could use a Polac MIDI In machine.