Win7 or Win8? X64 or X86 on Buzz and OS?

AndersBrontosaurus

Win7 or Win8? X64 or X86 on Buzz and OS?

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

hello!
For the last years i've used buzz in win7 through VirtualBox.

I'm now about to try to compose more often than every second year or so. Therefore I'm thinking about granting Windows a real installaton on the HD. Therefore I have a few questions that I hope you could help me with.

I've read that OS64bit with Buzz 32bit used to be recommended. Is this stil the same the case or?

1. Should I stay with Win7 32bit or should I consider 64bit or even Win8?
2. What is the advantages/disadvantages regarding buzz x86 and buzz 64?

Thanks in advance!
/Anders
Mu_

Re: Win7 or Win8? X64 or X86 on Buzz and OS?

Post by Mu_ »

64 bit OS gives to you access to more than 4 GB of RAM. if you have only 4 gigs it really doesn't matter because you can use a switch which allows to you to use memory above 3GB boundary. I have 8 GB so I use XP64 and never will switch to 8. Maybe to 7 but I seriously doubt it.
Buzz 32 and 64 work fine for me, Polac bridges allow to work with 32 and 64 bit vst's regardless to your OS.
But some modern libraries which you may want to run contain builded in players which requires 64 bit environment, so wise decision is to have 64 bit OS which allows you to run both 32 bit and 64 one applications.

Cheers
Jerry
AndersBrontosaurus

Post by AndersBrontosaurus »

Thank you for your reply!

So there is a xp64 that is working with Buzz? Thought you had to use win7 or later. Have forgotten why or where I heard it though...

/Anders
n3wjack

Post by n3wjack »

I run the 32bit Buzz version on a 64 bit Windows 8 and don't have any problems.
64-bit Windows OSes are fully compatible with 32 bit applications btw. Otherwise too much "old" stuff would just break and render the whole OS obsolete anyway.

Win 7 or 8 is more a matter of preference I think. Some love it, some hate it.
Once you go to desktop mode there's hardly a difference except the start menu.
domtron

Post by domtron »

64 bit is working fine but since almost all Buzzmachines are written for 32 bit they need to be bridged and therefore they introduce some unnecessary cpu cycles and maybe some stability issues in the 64 environment.
mcbpete

Post by mcbpete »

n3wjack wrote:Win 7 or 8 is more a matter of preference I think. Some love it, some hate it.
Once you go to desktop mode there's hardly a difference except the start menu.
I'd say, definitely get Win8 and then use Classic Shell ( http://www.classicshell.net/ ) to bring back the old Start Menu. That way you get the performance benefits of 8 and the workflow of 7 !