Midi Problems : Akai MPD 26 in Buzz

onecircles

Midi Problems : Akai MPD 26 in Buzz

Post by onecircles »

I've just received my akai MPD 26 in the mail, but upon trying to connect it to buzz I receive a 'MidiInput Init Failed' message.

I found two topics covering a similar situation.
viewtopic.php?p=4644
http://www.buzzmachines.com/board.php?p=48145

The MPD can configure all it's midi settings, so I can make it send on different midi channels and do lots of other things I'm not too familiar with, but I get this error when trying to select the MPD as a midi controller in the preferences.

I also have an old M-Audio keystation 49e and that's working although since migrating to 1495 the amp slider and mod wheel are no longer useable.

Could I set up a virtual midi machine that would play nicely with buzz and use the MPD to control that? (I don't know if that's actually a thing.)

Or I suppose I could start trying earlier versions of buzz to see if any of their midi code is compatible with the MPD.

Or wait for the next update, maybe it will be fixed.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: Oh, I'm running x86 buzz in 64 bit windows 7, so the first thing I'm going to try is the 64 bit version of buzz.
onecircles

Re: Midi Problems : Akai MPD 26 in Buzz

Post by onecircles »

I receive the same message in 64 bit buzz.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

And I receive the same error message in the x86 version of build 1472.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Hahaha the problem was fixed just by restarting my computer!
I got this genius idea after I tried connecting to my old keystation, and that wasn't working either.

So I'm now using 1495x86 buzz on 64bit windows 7 and it's working fine.

If anyone tries installing some new midi hardware and buzz stops being able to connect with your midi controllers, restarting may fix your problem.
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Now I've run into the fact that buzz only seems to want to take midi input from one source. So I can't use my keyboard and midi controller on the same machine. Is there any way around this?
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Figured that out too! It looks like the easiest way to merge two midi inputs is to use midi yoke and midi OX from this website http://www.midiox.com/
snowglobe

Post by snowglobe »

onecircles wrote:Figured that out too! It looks like the easiest way to merge two midi inputs is to use midi yoke and midi OX from this website http://www.midiox.com/
(May I butt in on your self-thread? :lol:)
MIDI-OX is terrific, but ... Polac MIDI In.
boombaxx

Post by boombaxx »

Just got an mpd18 i wonder how i never bought one before now
onecircles

Post by onecircles »

Yeah, the 18 wouldn't work for me because I got it as much for the faders and knobs as the pads, but it's so amazing. I feel the same way. You can set the midi range for everything so it makes it so easy to play in the sweet spot of whatever parameter you're working with. I love it so much.

Do you use it with wavetable drums? I haven't gotten that working yet, but am excited to. Any advices? What do you use? Is it easy to use the mpd to build beats?
szaszhareen

Post by szaszhareen »

i've been thinking about the midi drumpad thing for a while and haven't figured out a solution. i think you can use samplegrid to make this work, mpc style. if you right click samplegrid i think one of the submenus is a midi assignment window, you should be able to assign the pads to sample slots. i don't have a controller with pads though so it's mostly been something i think about at work and never get around to testing.
elekt

Post by elekt »

I have an mpd32. Good stuff. I use VSTs for the pads though (phatmatik pro and battery for sample playback).